Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• edited June 2023
    Richard J said:
    Let's all chil.

We all have players we like and hope we may one day sign, Scally is a good player but we already have CBT and Campbell as similar players. Indeed DJ is also under contract.

Let's see what happens this week. 
    Yes we have those 3, but only CBT good enough for a side serious about promotion - and he struggles to stay fit 

• There will be such a meltdown on here if Alfie May signs for Gills instead and rightfully so.

It's hard to believe there's a player who is available, who has been quite prolific for the past 3 seasons, who would definitely play for us and we can't get a bid together for him. 

If we can't afford 200-300k for Alfie May (the rumoured fee), just end the season now with another mediocre mid table finish. 

For those saying be patient, you're kidding yourselves, it has been like this ever since the Ricky Holmes/Nicky Ajose transfer window, feeding off scraps and frees season after season
    Spot on.  I’ve said it before, but I think we’ve been gradually worn down over the years re; our tolerance for piss poor and mediocre players.  If you look at it in the cold, objective light of day, our summer last year was pathetic.  Yet, so many made excuses for them.  It’s like being poisoned by arsenic.  We retain some element of awareness, but slowly we’re broken down until it’s too late.

this season it will be Payne.  People will be telling us there’s potential, he could be better with better players around him, there’s a player in there.  We’ll also get, we’re just 3 or 4 players off a play off spot 
  • I assume we’ve decided not to bother with any signings this year so we can significantly cut the budget of the medical team where most usually spend their time. 😉
  • There is no way we will pay a significant for anyone until the takeover has been approved.
  • thecat said:
    There is no way we will pay a significant for anyone until the takeover has been approved.
    If that’s the case then we won’t be getting anyone decent. 

If you are the selling club are you going to accept an IOU from charlton or a firm offer from another club ?  
  • edited June 2023
    thecat said:
    There is no way we will pay a significant fee for anyone until the takeover has been approved.
    This. 

Nothing is being paid out unless TS decides to be generous and part ways with his own money, which I very much doubt will happen…. 🤣
     The talk regarding a decent budget being available is the wages part though, so you’d think decent frees and loans will be signed soon 
  • What their DOF Kenny Jackett is actually quoted as saying of AM  is:“He is a local lad, that is maybe where the speculation comes from, but he is under contract at Cheltenham and we haven’t made an offer."

Whilst he pours cold water on the rumour of a bid, he is not saying they are not interested, and that quote from KJ was on 15th June so things could well have changed since.

My guess is AM agent has put out that his client is set on us, and is holding out on our takeover going through. But if that doesn't come off in time he will consider other options. I'm sure the gills could meet the valuation of the player if rumours are correct. 
  • Sponsored links:

• AndyG said:
    On the plus side Chucks can only be 6 months off getting back to training on the grass
    Which means he's only 6 and a half months away from his next injury.
  • Kips said:
    What their DOF Kenny Jackett is actually quoted as saying of AM  is:“He is a local lad, that is maybe where the speculation comes from, but he is under contract at Cheltenham and we haven’t made an offer."

Whilst he pours cold water on the rumour of a bid, he is not saying they are not interested, and that quote from KJ was on 15th June so things could well have changed since.

My guess is AM agent has put out that his client is set on us, and is holding out on our takeover going through. But if that doesn't come off in time he will consider other options. I'm sure the gills could meet the valuation of the player if rumours are correct. 

Cheers Kips , I think you've probably surmised the situation there exactly. May wants the move to us but until it's all signed off takeover wise it's a hard one to get through. So of course putting it out there through Cheltenham's equivalent of Cawley that there's other interest but they haven't met the valuation is probably a hurry up move. 
  • So is the general consensus that we’re clearly not signing anyone worth getting excited about due to TS still being in charge.  And then when we do finally get taken over we have no clue what the budget is and everyone else around us will have started signing decent players by then anyway?  
    That doesn't makes sense to me though. Why spend £12m or whatever it is, knowing you need to cover £7-8m losses in year 1 and then be behind the curve in transfers. Surely (or I hope) there is a clause in the contract allowing transfers to be made, otherwise the take one doesn't make sense
    I find it strange that we've had a fans forum and that burning question is still not answered. 
  • I think it’s better policy in terms of expectation to assume it’s going to be another shit season and then if it isn’t we’re all happy. In a couple of weeks, we are meant to be playing games against other teams and working on strategies and tactics and where people should play  …….it looks like it’s going to be another season where we’re looking at Academy players coming good. This in itself is a good thing but for the rest… it’s such a shame 
  • MrBurns said:
    I think we'll be signing free agents this summer and loans again. 
    Or this years graduates from the Swindon branch of our academy?
  • Whilst i don't think he'll go there as he will have league one interest, why on earth would Gillingham not be interested in one of the leading scorers from the division above?
  • Whilst i don't think he'll go there as he will have league one interest, why on earth would Gillingham not be interested in one of the leading scorers from the division above?

Looks like the Gills have fairly ambitious new owners so I could see May being a marquee statement signing for their owners. Of course I fully expect him to end up in League 1 but I'm not surprised Gills would be interested in a Kent lad that has scored the amount of goals May has. 
  • last_line said:
    I
    Claudius?
  • Sponsored links:

• I see Kevin McDonald has indicated he is leaving Exeter. The downside is that he had major surgery when he had a kidney transplant and is 35. On the plus side he has just played half a season at L1 level and is a seasoned performer at this level having previously won promotions with both Sheffield United and Wolves. He also was part of Fulham's promotion squad to the Prem. Iirc we were linked with a loan for him previously.

Maybe worth a punt?
  • I hear a lot about Gills ambitious new owner .
    Have they actually paid any fees for players ?
    January window they  had loads of players in and out but can’t remember seeing any fees being paid for players amongst the loan signings they did get in . I maybe wrong but think signings like May will be well out of their league for a number of reasons.
  • I hear a lot about Gills ambitious new owner .
    January window they  had loads of players in and out but can’t remember seeing any fees being paid for players amongst the loan signings they did get in . I maybe wrong but think signings like May will be well out of their league for a number of reasons.

Dieng, Nichols and Hawkins all cost decent money for League 2. That said I don’t think May will end up there. 
  • last_line said:
    I
    who have nothing?
  • mart77 said:
    I hear a lot about Gills ambitious new owner .

Dieng, Nichols and Hawkins all cost decent money for League 2. That said I don’t think May will end up there. 
    And George Lapslie was paid for.
  • Off_it said:
    AndyG said:
    On the plus side Chucks can only be 6 months off getting back to training on the grass
    Fixtures come out Thursday - we can have a sweepstake and guess which game he’ll make his obligatory subs return, and then which game he’ll break down in again 
  • cabbles said:
    Off_it said:
    AndyG said:
    Fixtures come out Thursday - we can have a sweepstake and guess which game he’ll make his obligatory subs return, and then which game he’ll break down in again 
    Might even be the same one.
  • mart77 said:

How much for any of these?  All I could find after checking a bit more in depth was loans and undisclosed ( which could mean anything ) I didn’t see an actual figure mentioned on any. The other one mentioned  Lapslie ( also shows as undisclosed ) surely wouldn’t have cost more than 25K max ? ( think he’s been released already ? ) . If I see a six figure sum has been paid on any  then I might take their big ambitions a bit more serious.
  • mart77 said:

How much for any of these?  All I could find after checking a bit more in depth was loans and undisclosed ( which could mean anything ) I didn’t see an actual figure mentioned on any. The other one mentioned  Lapslie ( also shows as undisclosed ) surely wouldn’t have cost more than 25K max ? ( think he’s been released already ? ) . If I see a six figure sum has been paid on any  then I might take their big ambitions a bit more serious.
    Lapslie on Gills players list for next season 
  • Gillingham are a big L2 club. But hardly in the same financial league as the top 6 L1 sides.