Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• DA9 said:
    Cawley has said we haven’t bid for May, and Dubai has said Holden doesn’t want him (or words to that affect)
    So based on that, if true, how are Gillingham beating us to his signature ?
    The longer this drags on (not signing may) I think this is right. I reckon may was a Martin sandgaard target (easy to scout and recommend as he scored 20 in this league) and Holden isn't keen
  • redbuttle said:
    Crowning achievement of banjo boys tenure, beaten to a player by the Jills...

New lows, new lows!
    Perhaps Holden doesn't want him and we are not losing out on him .
    Holden will take what he is given. Sweet FA.
  • AndyG said:
    DA9 said:
    Cawley has said we haven’t bid for May, and Dubai has said Holden doesn’t want him (or words to that affect)
    I’m not say if we have put a bid in for him or not as nobody knows however I’m struggling to see why Holden wouldn’t want him it’s not as if we are going to have a long list of names to choose from is it
    Totally different argument, he’s the manager, he identifies the players he wants, who knows what he has up his sleeve.
    He’ll live or die by his choices 
  • DA9 said:
    AndyG said:
    DA9 said:
    I’m not say if we have put a bid in for him or not as nobody knows however I’m struggling to see why Holden wouldn’t want him it’s not as if we are going to have a long list of names to choose from is it
    Totally different argument, he’s the manager, he identifies the players he wants, who knows what he has up his sleeve.
    He’ll live or die by his choices 
    True but he can identify whoever he likes if nobody is willing to sanction the funds then it’s a waste of time. I might be just on a negative downer at the moment but I suspect we won’t be signing anyone until the last knockings and they will be cheap players desperate for a contract and they will be announced as the 2nd coming as per usual with this second rate snake oil salesman 
  • shirty5 said:
    From Russell Milton, Head of Recruitment at Cheltenham on What’s it all about Alfie May

Think we can assume he MAY(be) hasn't had a medical...😉
  • Done deal

We have signed Teresa  May
    I'm pleased the deal is done. After all, didn't she say the best way to avoid a no-deal is to vote for a deal, once or twice IIRC 😎
  • Being posted elsewhere that @000__Jaaaaay__000 is way off the mark.
  • Sponsored links:

• The delay in transfers might have something to do with the takeover being very close to be completed could be as early as July 1st …and they have told Holden to look for better targets 
    Unbelievable 😂😂😂

Charlton are a shit show. Accept it.
  • seth plum said:
    I understand the players report back tomorrow.

As it stands this is what we likely look like:

Maynard Brewer

Egbo Lavelle Ness

CBT Dobson Fraser Payne Mitchell

Leaburn Campbell

Subs

Woolacott
    Elewere
    Chin
    Mc Grandles
    Henry
    Aneke
    Kanu

Not picked, Kirk DJ

Supplemented with elevated young players.

We actually still have reasonable numbers for the start of training, but

a) Massive weaknesses in  certain key positions, e.g. at full back
    b) Several of the players are clearly unwanted by Holden, e.g. DJ, Lavelle, Kirk, or likely to go e.g. Wollacott
  • AndyG said:
    Omg if we lose out on a player to gillingham I think it’s time to give up
    Why, they finished last season very strong following some good signings, the new owner seems to know what he is doing and overall they appear to be a well run club.

Everything I have mentioned above, Charlton are the opposite
  • seth plum said:
    I understand the players report back tomorrow.

As it stands this is what we likely look like:

Maynard Brewer

Egbo Lavelle Ness

CBT Dobson Fraser Payne Mitchell

Leaburn Campbell

Subs

Woolacott
    Elewere
    Chin
    Mc Grandles
    Henry
    Aneke
    Kanu

Not picked, Kirk DJ

Supplemented with elevated young players.

We actually still have reasonable numbers for the start of training, but

a) Massive weaknesses in  certain key positions, e.g. at full back
    b) Several of the players are clearly unwanted by Holden, e.g. DJ, Lavelle, Kirk, or likely to go e.g. Wollacott
    Get ready for a lot of 'ifs'.
    If all those players stay fit, and free of suspension during the season, and every game each player played up to the best performance they have ever put in for Charlton then we will HMS the league.
    Providing that every game AMB keeps a clean sheet and we score at least one goal.
    That is where we stand right now.
  • AndyG said:
    Why, they finished last season very strong following some good signings, the new owner seems to know what he is doing and overall they appear to be a well run club.

Why ? Because its Gillingham ffs. There isnt a single reason in the world why they should beat us to signing a player other than it's obviously bullshit being spouted about us having a top 6 player budget. It's starting to feel like we would be better off in terms of less bullshit if Boris and Trump bought us in a partnership deal
  • DA9 said:
    The longer this drags on (not signing may) I think this is right. I reckon may was a Martin sandgaard target (easy to scout and recommend as he scored 20 in this league) and Holden isn't keen
    This is the one!
  • Not really sure why MS would care so much about signing May, particularly when Holden is not keen.
  • AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

Why ? Because its Gillingham ffs. There isnt a single reason in the world why they should beat us to signing a player other than it's obviously bullshit being spouted about us having a top 6 player budget. It's starting to feel like we would be better off in terms of less bullshit if Boris and Trump bought us in a partnership deal
    The trouble with your single reason in the world scenario is that nobody really knows what player budget anyone else has right now. There is no live ranking system, that information won't be known until later in the season when it's actually been spent. So you could call it bullshit, or an estimate at best, either way it's not worth getting suckered in, as that can only lead to disappointment. Best to see what actually plays out which I accept in our case so far is nothing other than agreeing new terms with Aaron Henry. 

We also have to factor in what are we actually spending on the player budget already and to what extent are the owners prepared to increase it. If we are over spending wages on under performing or non playing players (and I can think of 2 possible examples here) that's probably not really helping our pursuit of attracting better new players. Ben Garner touched upon this as hampering his squad rebuild last summer.

Add to this the rumour that we can't or (as is more likely) won't pay transfer fees for players at this time. That by default drags us into competition with some of the bigger spenders and better run clubs in the league below, particularly when in pursuit of contracted players from the so called minnows of the division like Cheltenham.

I therefore agree with @eaststandmike, I'd be cautious in ruling out the likes of Gillingham at this point in time. But don't give up..

• Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:
    DA9 said:
    This is the one!
    But given how lacking we are up front, then if true i'd certainly question why Holden wouldn't be interested in a striker who's scored 43 goals in the last 2 seasons in this league.

Only possible reason is that he's been told to wait until the takeover is done and we'll look to sign someone better.
    Sorry fans takeover took too long - wait until January ……
  • AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

Last season we had £6+million budget. Plymouth won the league with a similar budget. Lincoln came one place below us on £3+mill budget. It’s not the money it’s how you spend it.
    There’s always a team that surprises but generally speaking it’s all about the money.  
  • The delay in transfers might have something to do with the takeover being very close to be completed could be as early as July 1st …and they have told Holden to look for better targets 
    Unbelievable 😂😂😂

See if you’re saying that in 2/3 weeks .. going to be a good season 
  • Blucher said:
    It's a cynical view but it may not be a complete coincidence that news of our interest in/offer for Alfie May broke just before the expiration of the Phase 1 Season ticket deadline on 2 June. 

Given that EFL players will be reporting back for pre-season training in around a week's time, the club need to get their skates on, although the idea of Sandgaard funding transfers seems rather far fetched, unless there's some kind of price adjustment formula agreed with the prospective new owners.
    That’s our only hope isn’t it. 
    Unbelievable 😂😂😂

See if you’re saying that in 2/3 weeks .. going to be a good season 
    Even if nothing has changed in 2/3 weeks....you will be still saying the same old stuff.  

• AndyG said:
    To be fair, they do have a magnificent stadium. 
  • AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

Last season we had £6+million budget. Plymouth won the league with a similar budget. Lincoln came one place below us on £3+mill budget. It’s not the money it’s how you spend it.
    There’s always a team that surprises but generally speaking it’s all about the money.  
    True, amendment- its not ALL about the money, its ALSO how how you spend it.
  • shirty5 said:
    From Russell Milton, Head of Recruitment at Cheltenham on What’s it all about Alfie May

Surely if this is true about being under contract for another 2yrs then it's very unlikely to happen.
    If we did buy him out then would it be value for money ? Plenty of others available  without a fee?
  • I'm guessing the fact we've heard nothing about Hector means he's offski?