Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• seth plum said:
    cabbles said:
    seth plum said:
    Dean Holden will have to play the hand he is dealt or leave for pastures new.
    The players return today, above I have speculated about what our team looks like at the moment.
    Harsh though it might seem, my expectation is the equivalent of two points per game on average because why hope for less?
    I am not interested in comparisons with others, hard luck stories or excuses. It might be an unrealistic stance to take, but what is always realistic is that it is 11v11.
    We overcame a tough Brighton and Hove Albion team last season when “on paper” we shouldn’t have. Every fixture could well carry that expectation, the players are paid well, are looked after and we turn up in large or small numbers to give them backing.
    I am assuming we are where we are, owned by Mr Sandgaard into the foreseeable future. I am sick of speculation, sick of expecting the next two weeks being crucial sick of dreaming about signings.
    When everyone on the football side arrives at Sparrows Lane this morning and they look into the eyes of each other sod being defeatist, sod the maybes and the if only’s, sod feeling sorry for ourselves, but do what it takes to accumulate shed loads of points with the resources we have right now.
    Or what?
    Surrender? Give up? Run away?

It’s all good in theory Seth, but that squad going in this morning is poor, there’s no two ways about it.  All the motivation and commitment in the world won’t change that.  And there will be some, like Fraser who have reached a point in their career where success and honours are unlikely, so for him, having a 6k a week contract until 2025 offers little motivation to go above and beyond.  

Between now and the deadline is critical.  I think we have to accept we might not start strongly, but there are a lot of points to play for over the season, and you can go on runs from Xmas and still have a shout of promotion.   But we need quality, and we need about 7/8 in terms of quality.  Massive ask from where we are now 
    I think my overall point is that if we don’t get what we want or need we make the best of what we have.
    I get your point about Fraser, but if I were manager and detected a kind of just cruising along from him I would drop him…play Henry, or Karoy Anderson, or McGrandles.
    We may be crap next season but I want to go down fighting not surrendering.
    In the past, notably with Peeters, and Robinson, they have given up when they didn’t get the pressies promised. I expect Dean Holden to soldier on manfully and positively whatever the season throws at him.
    Of course and I agree, BUT we are probably going to be facing other managers and squads of players that are ALSO well motivated, ALSO fired up and ready to fight but ALSO quite a lot better in terms of actual quality.

All the team spirit and morale in the world won't compensate for actual ability for long. Even in Leicesters famous PL win they had excellent players in the form of their life and astonishing good luck with injuries/suspension.

• Sorry but Gillingham division Two

Charlton Athletic division One last time I looked. 

So next season not possible to be above us.

But you mean start of 24/25 season?
  • My markers are usually.....

1) first day back (next Monday) as players look around the dressing/training room to see who the new boys are. Gives them a good/bad feeling about the coming season as to what they can expect. 

2) when the players jet off for a week away together. Team bonding & seeing how the the new reams'mates get with one another.

3) Start of the season. Obvious- dont want to start a season without a proper squad & additions before deadline day should really just be fillers.....not your main players.

So....1) is almost upon us & unless anyone is signed before next Monday we are already playing catch up. Will have an impact on morale from day 1. 

And it's pointless comparing us to  other teams in the league. Clubs are different & all will have different needs with regard to player recruitment. We lost a number of 1st team players & loans have gone back. Not sure how many other clubs need to replace 10 first teamers. 
  • I think it's possible to get too bogged down in the 'no new signings in by the first day back, it's a disaster' way of thinking. I know we have more to do than most teams but it's not like every other team will have a massive number of new faces coming through the door on the first day back. Barnsley have signed no-one, Blackpool only have Albie. Derby and Bolton have moved quickly but they've clearly gone fairly big on free transfer wages and even then it's mostly keepers. Teams have identified free players to pick up but I'd say very few if any of them were players we specifically were/should have been looking at. There's nothing that's happened that makes me feel like we've massively missed out (I've never been convinced by Scully as a necessary signing) yet.
    This rumours thread is already the worst ever because it's entirely speculation about whether we will sign players rather than who we might sign based on the lack of information we have in the current situation, but we should try and avoid getting dragged too deep into the misery based on the more arbitrary milestones, it'll just drive us insane. We know the situation we're in and it's clear the squad needs a fairly substantial rebuild anyway, it's not us not having any players in by 30th June that will kill us, it's not having a really competitive 16/17 players by September who we can build on next season that will.
    Funny stuff that this gets posted every single year we have a bad transfer window. 

Yes it's not the end of the world that we haven't signed anyone yet. On the other hand we had a terrible last season and need a lot of bodies through the door, especially after losing our best player over the summer. 
  • Sorry but Gillingham division Two

Charlton Athletic division One last time I looked. 

So next season not possible to be above us.

But you mean start of 24/25 season?
    Yes sorry what I meant to say was have a more successful season than us 
  • thenewbie said:
    seth plum said:
    cabbles said:
    seth plum said:
    Dean Holden will have to play the hand he is dealt or leave for pastures new.
    The players return today, above I have speculated about what our team looks like at the moment.
    Harsh though it might seem, my expectation is the equivalent of two points per game on average because why hope for less?
    I am not interested in comparisons with others, hard luck stories or excuses. It might be an unrealistic stance to take, but what is always realistic is that it is 11v11.
    We overcame a tough Brighton and Hove Albion team last season when “on paper” we shouldn’t have. Every fixture could well carry that expectation, the players are paid well, are looked after and we turn up in large or small numbers to give them backing.
    I am assuming we are where we are, owned by Mr Sandgaard into the foreseeable future. I am sick of speculation, sick of expecting the next two weeks being crucial sick of dreaming about signings.
    When everyone on the football side arrives at Sparrows Lane this morning and they look into the eyes of each other sod being defeatist, sod the maybes and the if only’s, sod feeling sorry for ourselves, but do what it takes to accumulate shed loads of points with the resources we have right now.
    Or what?
    Surrender? Give up? Run away?

It’s all good in theory Seth, but that squad going in this morning is poor, there’s no two ways about it.  All the motivation and commitment in the world won’t change that.  And there will be some, like Fraser who have reached a point in their career where success and honours are unlikely, so for him, having a 6k a week contract until 2025 offers little motivation to go above and beyond.  

Between now and the deadline is critical.  I think we have to accept we might not start strongly, but there are a lot of points to play for over the season, and you can go on runs from Xmas and still have a shout of promotion.   But we need quality, and we need about 7/8 in terms of quality.  Massive ask from where we are now 
    I think my overall point is that if we don’t get what we want or need we make the best of what we have.
    I get your point about Fraser, but if I were manager and detected a kind of just cruising along from him I would drop him…play Henry, or Karoy Anderson, or McGrandles.
    We may be crap next season but I want to go down fighting not surrendering.
    In the past, notably with Peeters, and Robinson, they have given up when they didn’t get the pressies promised. I expect Dean Holden to soldier on manfully and positively whatever the season throws at him.
    Of course and I agree, BUT we are probably going to be facing other managers and squads of players that are ALSO well motivated, ALSO fired up and ready to fight but ALSO quite a lot better in terms of actual quality.

All the team spirit and morale in the world won't compensate for actual ability for long. Even in Leicesters famous PL win they had excellent players in the form of their life and astonishing good luck with injuries/suspension.

I agree. So our challenge is to punch way above our weight, way above; the worst thing would be to be indifferent.
    It may not work, but better to go out with a bang not a whimper.
    When you look at how some managers have been able to wrangle clubs like Morecambe, or Accrington, or Cambridge or indeed Leyton Orient it is possible to see how you can make the most of what you’ve got. This is what we are realistically faced with right now, forget about new owners, new players and new money, if that happens it is a bonus, we have to make do and get the best from what we have today.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    nagAddick said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DA9 said:
    Cawley has said we haven’t bid for May, and Dubai has said Holden doesn’t want him (or words to that affect)
    So based on that, if true, how are Gillingham beating us to his signature ?
    The longer this drags on (not signing may) I think this is right. I reckon may was a Martin sandgaard target (easy to scout and recommend as he scored 20 in this league) and Holden isn't keen
    This is the one!
    But given how lacking we are up front, then if true i'd certainly question why Holden wouldn't be interested in a striker who's scored 43 goals in the last 2 seasons in this league.

Only possible reason is that he's been told to wait until the takeover is done and we'll look to sign someone better.
    He is looking at better, and players that have different attributes. 

Do u know of any players that are on our radar ?
    Banks is the only one I have heard.
    He could be the loan that’s been agreed but is now on family holiday ??
  • Sponsored links:

• CH4RLTON said:
    The most annoying thing about all this is , why lie to us and say we had players lined up ready to come and it will be business as usual when clearly it isn’t , I mean if they had been honest just said we aren’t signing anyone until the takeover is sorted yh id have been pissed off but this is ten times worse , just another false dawn 
    Because they needed to sell season tickets to keep the club solvent. 

The idea that Sandgaard was going to spend money on players was always clearly a straightforward , I was going to  say lie, but actually he never said it. Storrie implied it (the budget has been agreed), but also never said it. The optimists among us simply drew the optimistic conclusion.

• DubaiCAFC said:
    nagAddick said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DA9 said:
    Cawley has said we haven’t bid for May, and Dubai has said Holden doesn’t want him (or words to that affect)
    The longer this drags on (not signing may) I think this is right. I reckon may was a Martin sandgaard target (easy to scout and recommend as he scored 20 in this league) and Holden isn't keen
    This is the one!
    But given how lacking we are up front, then if true i'd certainly question why Holden wouldn't be interested in a striker who's scored 43 goals in the last 2 seasons in this league.

Only possible reason is that he's been told to wait until the takeover is done and we'll look to sign someone better.

Yeah because he’s not had enough time to get away after the end of the season.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    nagAddick said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DA9 said:
    This is the one!

Yeah because he’s not had enough time to get away after the end of the season.
    He played in the play offs and then I think played some games for Palace U21s so would make sense that he has a little bit of extra time off as his season ended later than ours. Not sure why that would stop us announcing the signing though 
  • Hopefully that’s just agent talk
  • fenaddick said:
    Hopefully that’s just agent talk
    After a year of development at Chelsea (and it looks like he did pretty well) I’m sure he’s a much better player now than when we last had him. If he’s got a bit stronger and better technically then he’d be a good signing 
  • Would expect him on loan somewhere in League 1 but don't think it will be us. Chelsea will want him to play every week. 
  • Gribbo said:
    Championship quality players are usually going to demand championship wages. 
    Of course, but is wanting top end championship wages.. He did enjoy it at Charlton, we has been offered a very good package for league one.. He might still end up at Charlton, the longer it goes on the more likely!
  • Southbank said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    The most annoying thing about all this is , why lie to us and say we had players lined up ready to come and it will be business as usual when clearly it isn’t , I mean if they had been honest just said we aren’t signing anyone until the takeover is sorted yh id have been pissed off but this is ten times worse , just another false dawn 

The idea that Sandgaard was going to spend money on players was always clearly a straightforward , I was going to  say lie, but actually he never said it. Storrie implied it (the budget has been agreed), but also never said it. The optimists among us simply drew the optimistic conclusion.

We still have a budget to sign players though, even if it's just free agents. 3 of the players we released, Morgan, Inniss and Harness have new clubs already, for example.
  • My markers are usually.....

1) first day back (next Monday) as players look around the dressing/training room to see who the new boys are. Gives them a good/bad feeling about the coming season as to what they can expect. 

2) when the players jet off for a week away together. Team bonding & seeing how the the new reams'mates get with one another.

3) Start of the season. Obvious- dont want to start a season without a proper squad & additions before deadline day should really just be fillers.....not your main players.

So....1) is almost upon us & unless anyone is signed before next Monday we are already playing catch up. Will have an impact on morale from day 1. 

And it's pointless comparing us to  other teams in the league. Clubs are different & all will have different needs with regard to player recruitment. We lost a number of 1st team players & loans have gone back. Not sure how many other clubs need to replace 10 first teamers. 
    Your markers?

Tell us more about your experience of being around the players, squad and management team.
  • Sponsored links:

• PWADDICK said:
    Best signing of the window would be a new media team, a meme for each team in League One on the agenda today
    It's an absolute car crash. Who on earth thought it was a good idea.
  • edited June 2023
    Southbank said:
    CH4RLTON said:

We still have a budget to sign players though, even if it's just free agents. 3 of the players we released, Morgan, Inniss and Harness have new clubs already, for example.
    You are assuming that Sandgaard will want to spend the money from the saved wages. With his losses mounting and obviously with no interest in keeping the club, he may decide to use it to help keep the existing costs covered, particularly if season ticket numbers are low.

Remember, every month that goes by now he is losing more money, which will reduce the value of the 12m he is going to get from the sale (if it goes through).

I doubt he is prepared to take any any more costs now than he has to. It would make more sense to him to leave it to the new owners to assemble a squad once the deal is done-which will be crap for the team but good for Sandgaard.

• DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DA9 said:
    This is the one!

Had Ronnie Moore relocated to Dubai?
  • PWADDICK said:
    Best signing of the window would be a new media team, a meme for each team in League One on the agenda today
    Amazed me that someone has sat there and thought, I know what’ll cheer them up after seeing our rivals sign loads of players and we do nothing, memes.
  • I think it's possible to get too bogged down in the 'no new signings in by the first day back, it's a disaster' way of thinking. I know we have more to do than most teams but it's not like every other team will have a massive number of new faces coming through the door on the first day back. Barnsley have signed no-one, Blackpool only have Albie. Derby and Bolton have moved quickly but they've clearly gone fairly big on free transfer wages and even then it's mostly keepers. Teams have identified free players to pick up but I'd say very few if any of them were players we specifically were/should have been looking at. There's nothing that's happened that makes me feel like we've massively missed out (I've never been convinced by Scully as a necessary signing) yet.
    This rumours thread is already the worst ever because it's entirely speculation about whether we will sign players rather than who we might sign based on the lack of information we have in the current situation, but we should try and avoid getting dragged too deep into the misery based on the more arbitrary milestones, it'll just drive us insane. We know the situation we're in and it's clear the squad needs a fairly substantial rebuild anyway, it's not us not having any players in by 30th June that will kill us, it's not having a really competitive 16/17 players by September who we can build on next season that will.
    Funny stuff that this gets posted every single year we have a bad transfer window. 

Yes it's not the end of the world that we haven't signed anyone yet. On the other hand we had a terrible last season and need a lot of bodies through the door, especially after losing our best player over the summer. 
    Yes, I know, that's what I just said. I'm just encouraging people not to add additional misery milestones to what is already  a bad situation as it will only bring more pain, and nobody needs that. Obviously my post wasn't directed at you, as without posting misery on every thread what are you, but for most posters I'm just encouraging a bit of self-care while the takeover resolves.
  • PWADDICK said:
    It's an absolute car crash. Who on earth thought it was a good idea.
    I saw a few that looked offensive at a glance, the kind of thing a supporter would do not a club.