Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Not really sure why MS would care so much about signing May, particularly when Holden is not keen.
    why isn't Holden keen I wonder? Don't think we could do any better on our normal budget unless Dean has been promised substantial funds once the takeover goes through.
    How likely is that ?
  • Might be complete bollocks but I have heard that we did actually have an offer in for Stockton. It was higher than Burtons but only slightly, and there was another L1 club with a similar bid to us but he chose Burton as the location worked better for him. I’m assuming guaranteed game time might have been a factor also but geography was the reason given

If true, I don’t think it means much as I doubt he was a top target. When we have Leaburn and could be in for May it wouldn’t make much sense to spend too much on another striker when there are other areas of the team that need upgrading 
  • If we can't get a fee for Kirk. Keep him and make him work to get in the squad. Simples.
  • NabySarr said:
    Might be complete bollocks but I have heard that we did actually have an offer in for Stockton. It was higher than Burtons but only slightly, and there was another L1 club with a similar bid to us but he chose Burton as the location worked better for him. I’m assuming guaranteed game time might have been a factor also but geography was the reason given

If true, I don’t think it means much as I doubt he was a top target. When we have Leaburn and could be in for May it wouldn’t make much sense to spend too much on another striker when there are other areas of the team that need upgrading 
    Stockton was out of contract.
  • cfgs said:
    Scoham said:
    seth plum said:
    Don’t like the Burstow talk, it puts in my mind loaning him opens the way for Leaburn to leave.
    I think Leaburn offers more.
    You’d find it hard to find anyone who disagrees. No chance Burstow would have made the impact Leaburn did last season if he played the same amount.
    Plus it also slows Miles's development, having a loanee ahead of him.
    I dont think they would i think they would play Burstow wide in that type of role rashford plays
  • I have never been in the know on players so this is a first for me. I heard today that Charlie Kirk wants to stay at Charlton as he is desperate to prove himself. The source is about as good as it gets.
    Desperate to stay on the wages he is currently on, it reads like. 
  • edited June 2023
    MarcusH26 said:
    Waiting for Ronnie to confirm don't forget...🙄
    I did say don’t think RC connections at Charlton are what they were that’s twice he backtracked within a few days .. after printing a story 

Think we can take that as a confirmation...
  • NabySarr said:
    Might be complete bollocks but I have heard that we did actually have an offer in for Stockton. It was higher than Burtons but only slightly, and there was another L1 club with a similar bid to us but he chose Burton as the location worked better for him. I’m assuming guaranteed game time might have been a factor also but geography was the reason given

we only want players with ambition for the club as well as themselves and to grow with us just like Miles should
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:
    Bit cringe that comment from Holden re; the packed valley and the player ‘already sold’.  As much I think Holden is down to earth, and could be a decent manager for us, there’s something about him that gives me the sense he’s worked us out as a fanbase and very good at telling us what we want to hear.

It’s no one thing in particular, the odd comment here and there, the visits to the Oak etc.  for me, although he’s come into a shambles of a club, the jury is very much still out and he needs to prove himself before all the love ins etc.  you’ve got to remember his career had stalled before us and I don’t think he was in high demand 
    I like him and hope he does well but we know from interviews that he's done that he's a very articulate and intelligent guy who knows the importance of language and words. That's not at all a bad thing but I do agree that he's definitely playing the game (probably out of necessity though) and you don't want to treat his word as gospel truth.

Same as Storrie for that matter, another old football head who is pretty adept at saying jusy enough and in just the right way to be "economic with the truth" but not an outright liar.
  • nagAddick said:
    I have never been in the know on players so this is a first for me. I heard today that Charlie Kirk wants to stay at Charlton as he is desperate to prove himself. The source is about as good as it gets.
    This season really is make or break for him here.
    He was broke when he arrived and nothing changed. Get rid.
  • thenewbie said:
    cabbles said:
    Bit cringe that comment from Holden re; the packed valley and the player ‘already sold’.  As much I think Holden is down to earth, and could be a decent manager for us, there’s something about him that gives me the sense he’s worked us out as a fanbase and very good at telling us what we want to hear.

It’s no one thing in particular, the odd comment here and there, the visits to the Oak etc.  for me, although he’s come into a shambles of a club, the jury is very much still out and he needs to prove himself before all the love ins etc.  you’ve got to remember his career had stalled before us and I don’t think he was in high demand 
    I like him and hope he does well but we know from interviews that he's done that he's a very articulate and intelligent guy who knows the importance of language and words. That's not at all a bad thing but I do agree that he's definitely playing the game (probably out of necessity though) and you don't want to treat his word as gospel truth.

Same as Storrie for that matter, another old football head who is pretty adept at saying jusy enough and in just the right way to be "economic with the truth" but not an outright liar.
    Holden and Storrie are trying to give us a reason to believe when there is nothing yet to believe in. Fair play to them, what else can they do in their positions.
    But we are the fools if we go along with the bullshit.
  • cabbles said:

People who understand football and football fans is a step up from what we’ve had for most of the last decade or so. But yes, plenty more for him to prove.
  • cabbles said:

Isn’t that true of every club owner, manager, club media etc etc. it’s called PR.

It’s what they do to get fans onside, don’t think it’s specific to just Holden.
  • Sponsored links:

• Foxycafc said:

Ackers asking me whether he has good recruiting skills was not on my Summer transfer bingo list 
    Yeah fantastic job John
  • If we were to sign Edun then he certainly fits the profile for the kind of LB to help get the best out of Kirk.
  • CH4RLTON said:
    I am. the only one who really wouldn’t want Burstow back , I was never really that impressed and suprised he went Chelsea and was really poor when he came back loan the first time around 
    A year with Chelsea could have made him a lot better. Especially as he didn’t come from an academy background so was very raw when he was with us. He had pace and could finish, if they’ve made him stronger and better technically then he’d be a very good player
  • cabbles said:

Isn’t that true of every club owner, manager, club media etc etc. it’s called PR.

It’s what they do to get fans onside, don’t think it’s specific to just Holden.
    No, it’s not specific to him and on the whole I am positive about his appointment, I just prefer the whole mixing with the fans in the oak thing done once we are turning in consistent performances on the pitch.  

Hopefully he will go on to deliver that and the early signs are that he’s the most competent manager we’ve had since Bowyer (Adkins much more successful, but I think he’d lost the plot a bit by the time we got him), but getting consistent results is key.  
  • When you look at Burstow and Leaburn, both are able lads in different ways but what I saw with Burstow was somebody who hadn't learned the other part of the game whereas Leaburn was definitely developing it. Of course we haven't seen Burstow for a season, but his game, IMO, needed league one or two defenders kicking lumps out of him. I won't go against the manager but personally I don't like the sound of such a move.
  • Foxycafc said:

Ackers asking me whether he has good recruiting skills was not on my Summer transfer bingo list 
    Spent last season on loan in the National league and only started 10 games. Yep he's definitely the player we need.
  • Sessegnon would be a mistake imo. He obviously has a knee injury which was being nursed throughout the season. Another Solly 

Sess performances were still really good tho, Solly struggled the last few seasons IMHO
  • Burstow? Ffs
  • I really hope Kirk, Lavelle and DJ are nowhere near the starting 11 come start of the season. Preferably,  all have moved on .