Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Saudi Professional League 23/24

Another one bites the dust. 

Still in June and so far Ronaldo, Benzema, Neves, Kante all committed to the money. 

Many more still to come you would imagine. 

Comments

• Options
    Shame, but is it really unsurprising?

He was too good to join Wolves in the Championship in the first place.

Its when the Saudis etc. start to attract those who aren't old, or aren't already mercenaries that we'll want to worry

We've seen this from the Chinese already
  • Options
    It’s all going to be for nothing when they don’t get the 2030 World Cup… surely FIFA wouldn’t be that silly…
  • Options
    Anyone with a spare half an hour might find this interesting. The amount of money Saudi are going to throw at football in the coming years is absolutely eye watering.

https://youtu.be/0F4yg2odqHg
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    R0TW said:

Its when the Saudis etc. start to attract those who aren't old, or aren't already mercenaries that we'll want to worry

Can you explain why we need to worry?
    Personally Couldn't give a toss.
    When the likes of Bellingham in their prime opt for Saudi money over proper Football?

For now though, they're just another MLS | Chinese Super League
  • Options

"Al Nassr are in talks to sign Real Betis midfielder William Carvalho and Chelsea forward Hakim Ziyech.

Al Nassr are one of four Saudi Pro League teams the country’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) will take a 75 per cent controlling stake in, along with Al Ahli, Al Ittihad and Al Hilal."

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Neves is only 26, waste of his prime years going to play out there 
    Have you seen the money they’re throwing around? I’d be there in heartbeat! 
    True but I doubt he's earning a pittance at Wolves 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Aramco, Saudi Arabia's lead oil institution and the most valuable company in the world, is taking a stake in Al Qadsia."
  • Options
    I read somewhere that of the 16 teams in the Pro league, 12 of them averaged crowds of less than 10k last season.

Naturally crowds are going to grow but i still think this is all just to boost interest for their bid for the 2030 World Cup. If they don't get it, i don't see the point in all this. 
  • Options
    His prime years? Earning what they're talking about, these will be his prime years. 

Try not to get too glassy eyed about football, it'll only disappoint when you understand what it's actually about... Money. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Mbappe's contract running out next summer will be very interesting...

Imagine if the Champions League allowed Saudi Arabian teams to enter the qualification stage, I can honestly see it happening if they start draining all the top players from Europe. The aim is all about 2030 and they will be very aggressive in the next 5 years. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    His prime years? Earning what they're talking about, these will be his prime years. 

Try not to get too glassy eyed about football, it'll only disappoint when you understand what it's actually about... Money. 
    His prime years playing for top clubs against the best players.

Surely most players aren't entirely driven by money, when they are fabulously wealthy already 
  • Options
    I don’t think this will do the premier league over to be honest so I’m genuinely not arsed.  People will live anywhere if the money’s right and that’s up to them.
  • Options
    It was fine when the premier league started poaching all the best players though. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    It was fine when the premier league started poaching all the best players though. 
    It’s not the same thing, as I suspect you know. Although with the owners coming into English football it’s not significantly different anymore 
  • Options
    Don’t have a problem with it all. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:

His prime years playing for top clubs against the best players.

Surely most players aren't entirely driven by money, when they are fabulously wealthy already 
    Messi was happy enough to fiddle his tax
  • Options
    Up to him, it’s all corrupt having a world cup in a sandpit. 

Saudi as a country I don’t respect or have any desire to visit due to its backwards nature. 
  • Options
    Saudi will get it because they have the fattest brown envelopes
  • Options
    R0TW said:

Can you explain why we need to worry?
    Personally Couldn't give a toss.
    When the likes of Bellingham in their prime opt for Saudi money over proper Football?

For now though, they're just another MLS | Chinese Super League
    Proper football to me means someone who gives his all whenever he/they enter the pitch.
    If a player wants to go there for money, then no loss in my opinion.
    How much does a player need?
    The wages nowadays are half the reason I would rather non-league.
  • Options
    Appalling human rights record.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Have you seen the money they’re throwing around? I’d be there in heartbeat! 
    But imagine the misery when your 35 and counting the 100s of millions knowing you didn't get that big move to Spurs...
  • Options
    I said said on the LIV thread that it was all roads led to football eventually. The Saudis have a bottomless pit of money and there is nothing that the premier league or La Liga will be able to do about it. Like LiV, there will ultimately be a compromise and that will be with Saudi teams playing in the champions league or whatever it will be rebranded as. We all know that the officials of fifa and uefa like a pound note so the palm will be greased and football will be reinvented. 
  • Options

Didn’t the Chinese government put a stop to that though? Whereas you can’t really see the Saudi ‘government’ doing the same.
  • Options
    I said said on the LIV thread that it was all roads led to football eventually. The Saudis have a bottomless pit of money and there is nothing that the premier league or La Liga will be able to do about it. Like LiV, there will ultimately be a compromise and that will be with Saudi teams playing in the champions league or whatever it will be rebranded as. We all know that the officials of fifa and uefa like a pound note so the palm will be greased and football will be reinvented. 
    Or FIFA step in and control it somehow. Global salary cap or FFP perhaps.