Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Saudi Professional League 23/24

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2023
    I will not be watching, maybe people in the far east might, but most of those already have favourites in the premier league.  In football it is about tradition. They can throw money at the best players did not work int he 70's in the US or more recently in China. Are any of us going to watch this, I don't think so.
  • Options
    one 'positive' from the SA hoovering is the benefit to major clubs in desperate need of offloading expensive but underperforming players .. so far Chelsea is the prime example
  • Options
    one 'positive' from the SA hoovering is the benefit to major clubs in desperate need of offloading expensive but underperforming players .. so far Chelsea is the prime example
    And part owned by Saudi Arabia....how curious. 
  • Options
    People still getting their wet kecks in a twist over old and/or 'couldn't cut it in the Premier League' players leaving for Saudi.

Kante being the only one that may stand out a bit. The rest are all complete non-stories unless you enjoy a cry over nothing.
  • Options
    People still getting their wet kecks in a twist over old and/or 'couldn't cut it in the Premier League' players leaving for Saudi.

Kante being the only one that may stand out a bit. The rest are all complete non-stories unless you enjoy a cry over nothing.
    Neves is a bigger coup than Kante. Sure Kante is a better player but he’s been suffering with injuries and in his 30s, Neves is entering his prime. 

I agree most of the others are past their best and although they could still get decent moves elsewhere, they’re not exactly ‘stars’. 
  • Options

Neves is a bigger coup than Kante. Sure Kante is a better player but he’s been suffering with injuries and in his 30s, Neves is entering his prime. 

I agree most of the others are past their best and although they could still get decent moves elsewhere, they’re not exactly ‘stars’. 
    Yeah, Neves did spring to mind but isn't he earmarked for a loan somewhere pretty much straight away? Obviously that raises questions in and of itself.

When players in their prime are swapping their legacy/potential achievements in the game for actually featuring in the Saudi league, then it may become a bit more of a story. Currently it just feeds in to the 'too much money in football' bubble.
  • Options
    Modric is the latest to turn down Saudi Money now, after a signing a new deal with Real Madrid.
  • Options
    Not sure this the case.. Have a listen to the latest Price of Football Pod! 
  • Options

Yeah, Neves did spring to mind but isn't he earmarked for a loan somewhere pretty much straight away? Obviously that raises questions in and of itself.

When players in their prime are swapping their legacy/potential achievements in the game for actually featuring in the Saudi league, then it may become a bit more of a story. Currently it just feeds in to the 'too much money in football' bubble.
    Will obviously be extremely dodgy if Neves goes to Newcastle on loan. But yes agreed, it’s mostly players past their best. Even China managed to get Oscar and Hulk. 
  • Options
    does seem a bit dodgy if that is the case but it is also true that Chelsea have a ton of players that are not needed and on massive salaries so makes sense they go somewhere that can pay for them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Koulibaly is a surprising one for me, having been one of the best defenders for a few years in Serie A, he landed a big move to Chelsea, and now 12 months later is being labelled as past his best and nothing more than a money chaser. 
  • Options
    For an over inflated price that no other club would even want to get close to. All totally legit though. 
  • Options

Another one Chelsea have managed to ship off. How curious. 
  • Options
    Chelsea still got another 20 or so to ship out.
  • Options
    What channel is this gonna be shown on?
  • Options
    It wouldn’t surprise if the Saudis found a way of getting their teams in the champions league 
  • Options
    Jamie Vardy has turned down a move 
  • Options
    The signings keep on coming. Milinkovic-Savic who Lazio apparently turned down a 100m+ bid for a few years ago has signed for Al Hilal, where he will join Koulibaly and Ruben Neves.

The craziest signing though is that apparently Al Ettifaq where Gerrard is now manager have reportedly offered Jordan Henderson 700k a week to sign!! I'm sorry but at the age of 33 and having won everything he can, he has to take that offer.
  • Options
    It's obscene money and I believe the oil fields in Ghawar are full in Saudi Arabia for another 200 + years. Liquid Gold and they say yes to oil.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The signings keep on coming. Milinkovic-Savic who Lazio apparently turned down a 100m+ bid for a few years ago has signed for Al Hilal, where he will join Koulibaly and Ruben Neves.

The craziest signing though is that apparently Al Ettifaq where Gerrard is now manager have reportedly offered Jordan Henderson 700k a week to sign!! I'm sorry but at the age of 33 and having won everything he can, he has to take that offer.
    If they’ve really offered him that then he’s got to take it. 
  • Options
    SMS is only 28 and has been the lynchpin in the heart of Lazio for 8 seasons since his debut.

These are the player signings that make more of a statement than a 38 year old Ronaldo or a 35 year old Benzema, good as they are
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    SMS is only 28 and has been the lynchpin in the heart of Lazio for 8 seasons since his debut.

These are the player signings that make more of a statement than a 38 year old Ronaldo or a 35 year old Benzema, good as they are
    Agreed, and an example of why this push on investment from the Saudi league is different to what we saw in China (and other places) previously. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    They will attract players, because its hard for some people to turn down the money. The problem is, that most of the stadiums hold 20k, its not really a footballing nation so im guessing the atmosphere will be average and nobody has any emotional attachment to any of the teams (bar Saudi locals perhaps). So who is gonna watch it and those that do, how long before they get bored?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Has he? I don’t know what he has earned at Anfield over the years but he obviously never has to work again as indeed do not his kids and probably their kids too. His days at Liverpool may be numbered so go play at say Villa for a year or two for a measly 100k a week.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

No, he hasn't. Henderson has been an advocate for LGBT+ rights for years, speaking out in favour of the Rainbow Laces campaign and being one of the main England players who helped convert the image of them from overpaid wasters to decent men using their platform for positive change. If he moves to a country that discriminates wildly against LGBTQ+ people just because they wafted a load of money in his face then it will do so much damage to the work that's been done to try to reduce discrimination in the sport. It'll tell you that these players only care about homophobic abuse - and in the case of Saudi Arabia criminalisation to the point of flogging, imprisonment or even capital punishment - up to a certain financial number, at which point they're ok with it. It would be so disappointing and I imagine devastating to the people who have felt the benefit of the support Henderson previously showed.
    Same as black players playing in Spain after complaining the fans are racist.
  • Options
    Doubt Henderson will get in the Euros squad if he moves there. That will be a big consideration for him.