Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Saudi Professional League 23/24

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 18
    Jints said:
    Paraphrased from today's Mirror.

Clubs in Saudi Arabia spent £701 million pounds on big name players last summer.

According to Michael Emenalo (Saudi Pro League director of football) the focus will now switch to players in their prime.  However, it's not all plain sailing as the average attendance to a pro league game is just 8470 with some games attracting less than a 1000.

One can only hope that their money doesn't ruin the game we all love.
    "One can only hope that money doesn't ruin the game we all love"

The game has always been about money from about the time that players stopped going to games on the bus, and the salary cap went. My guess s that's about 60 years ago. The Saudi development is just another stage. They have the spending power to shrink and sink the Premiership, my guess is that they will. It just a case of whether they want to see it though. 
    They are not going to sink the Premier League regardless of how many big names go over there. Football in this country is not just about the money, as much as it seems like that. Football clubs are part of the culture here, how many real Man United or Chelsea or City or any other big club fans would stop going if they lost their biggest players to Saudi? Not many I would wager. That's real fans, not fake ones from around the world. 
    UK is a small market. When all the top players are mopped up by Saudi's the rest of the world will be watching them not the Premier League. It will take a decade, but they can do it if they want to. You and I will be watching CAFC, and Chelsea fans will be watching Chelsea.
    Will never happen. Yes they will no doubt continue to sign big names in the twilight of their career and maybe the odd couple of younger players but it will never fully take off.

There is too much prestige tied to the big European clubs and the champions league. No serious player is going there in his prime. The atmosphere at most games is awful, no one really wants to live there, and after just a short time we're already seeing some players want to leave. Henderson is the first, but there will be more.

There's also the issue for now (although i'm sure it will change) in that Saudi clubs are only allowed 8 overseas players. The big 4 that are owned by PIF have already filled their quotas with players on multiple year contracts. So what happens next summer when they want to sign more big names? They're all on huge money, so will they just pay off existing players to go?
    Yes, it's the lack of history, club rivalries and atmosphere. They'll never be able to replicate the derbies etc that makes the EPL so popular around the world. 
    I think there’s a piece around timing too.

The Premier League was by no means the most popular league in the world at the start of this century, that was probably Spain. But the astronomical deals with Sky, combined with a pretty fair way of distributing the wealth (amongst the 20 teams in the league), came at exactly the right time as new media created the opportunity to sell the game to the world in a way that wasn’t previously possible.

That this happened at the right time means there are now huge audiences for the Premier League all over the world that consider themselves real fans of PL teams even if they’ve never set foot in, and never will set foot in, England. That probably seems strange to us as Charlton fans because, really, we missed the boat on all of this by falling out of the PL before things really took off. 

I don’t think, however much Saudi Arabia spend on players they can ever really replicate how ingrained the PL has became to hundreds of millions (maybe billions) of people all over the world. People might watch if they have nothing else to do, but they won’t care. That means viewers won’t build the brand loyalty to Saudi league and, by extension, Saudi Arabia itself. Therefore the purpose of sports washing for the Saudi regime is essentially defeated. 

It’s similar to the Italian and Spanish leagues doing things like playing their “Super Cup” in Saudi (which included some pretty awful scenes when a moments silence for Franz Beckenbauer was booed…). They’re all desperately trying to replicate or catch up to the Premier League, but they never will. 

Didn’t expect that post to turn into a multi paragraph dissertation, apologies all!
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    Pleased to see Jordan Henderson clean up his reputation by going to Ajax.
    Saw a good piece in the Guardian today about Henderson, which said he appears to be living his career in reverse: the classic model would be to emerge as a young hopeful at Ajax, move to Liverpool and enjoy European success and then, when the legs start to go, join Sunderland.

Bravo Rizzo:
    And when Henderson gets the sticker on his car window, comes to Charlton on a free when he can literally be the 'sitting midfielder'
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Jints said:

Clubs in Saudi Arabia spent £701 million pounds on big name players last summer.

According to Michael Emenalo (Saudi Pro League director of football) the focus will now switch to players in their prime.  However, it's not all plain sailing as the average attendance to a pro league game is just 8470 with some games attracting less than a 1000.

The game has always been about money from about the time that players stopped going to games on the bus, and the salary cap went. My guess s that's about 60 years ago. The Saudi development is just another stage. They have the spending power to shrink and sink the Premiership, my guess is that they will. It just a case of whether they want to see it though. 
    They are not going to sink the Premier League regardless of how many big names go over there. Football in this country is not just about the money, as much as it seems like that. Football clubs are part of the culture here, how many real Man United or Chelsea or City or any other big club fans would stop going if they lost their biggest players to Saudi? Not many I would wager. That's real fans, not fake ones from around the world. 
    UK is a small market. When all the top players are mopped up by Saudi's the rest of the world will be watching them not the Premier League. It will take a decade, but they can do it if they want to. You and I will be watching CAFC, and Chelsea fans will be watching Chelsea.
    Will never happen. Yes they will no doubt continue to sign big names in the twilight of their career and maybe the odd couple of younger players but it will never fully take off.

There is too much prestige tied to the big European clubs and the champions league. No serious player is going there in his prime. The atmosphere at most games is awful, no one really wants to live there, and after just a short time we're already seeing some players want to leave. Henderson is the first, but there will be more.

There's also the issue for now (although i'm sure it will change) in that Saudi clubs are only allowed 8 overseas players. The big 4 that are owned by PIF have already filled their quotas with players on multiple year contracts. So what happens next summer when they want to sign more big names? They're all on huge money, so will they just pay off existing players to go?
    Yes, it's the lack of history, club rivalries and atmosphere. They'll never be able to replicate the derbies etc that makes the EPL so popular around the world. 
    I think there’s a piece around timing too.

The Premier League was by no means the most popular league in the world at the start of this century, that was probably Spain. But the astronomical deals with Sky, combined with a pretty fair way of distributing the wealth (amongst the 20 teams in the league), came at exactly the right time as new media created the opportunity to sell the game to the world in a way that wasn’t previously possible.

That this happened at the right time means there are now huge audiences for the Premier League all over the world that consider themselves real fans of PL teams even if they’ve never set foot in, and never will set foot in, England. That probably seems strange to us as Charlton fans because, really, we missed the boat on all of this by falling out of the PL before things really took off. 

I don’t think, however much Saudi Arabia spend on players they can ever really replicate how ingrained the PL has became to hundreds of millions (maybe billions) of people all over the world. People might watch if they have nothing else to do, but they won’t care. That means viewers won’t build the brand loyalty to Saudi league and, by extension, Saudi Arabia itself. Therefore the purpose of sports washing for the Saudi regime is essentially defeated. 

It’s similar to the Italian and Spanish leagues doing things like playing their “Super Cup” in Saudi (which included some pretty awful scenes when a moments silence for Franz Beckenbauer was booed…). They’re all desperately trying to replicate or catch up to the Premier League, but they never will. 

Didn’t expect that post to turn into a multi paragraph dissertation, apologies all!
    In reality the fans in Asia, Africa etc aren't interested in mid sized PL teams anyway. It's only in traditional British football watching areas like Scandinavia, where they watch and support teams at all levels of our football.

I doubt the streets of Lagos or Singapore have many Luton Town fans, or even Palace fans despite them being in the PL for several seasons now, another than connections to an individual player if he's from their country.
  • Options
    edited January 18
    Dont know how true this is, but Saudi Journalists have apparently asked why Fiorentina and Lazio had been sent to Saudi Arabia (Along with Napoli and Inter) for the Supercoppa Italiana, instead of Juventus and AC MIlan (Who didnt qualify), thinking it was an insult.

Sensational Super Cup: "The Arabs wonder why there are no Milan and Juve" (tuttonapoli.net)

Can't wait for them to get offended if France somehow dont qualify for the 2034 World Cup
  • Options
    Dont know how true this is, but Saudi Journalists have apparently asked why Fiorentina and Lazio had been sent to Saudi Arabia (Along with Napoli and Inter) for the Supercoppa Italiana, instead of Juventus and AC MIlan (Who didnt qualify), thinking it was an insult.

Sensational Super Cup: "The Arabs wonder why there are no Milan and Juve" (tuttonapoli.net)

Can't wait for them to get offended if France somehow dont qualify for the 2034 World Cup
    Got to love what the Lazio manager Sarri said:

"Everyone knows what I think, that this tournament is about anything but sport. Take the money and run away. We get everything we can this way for a few days, while we have to go around the world looking for money. With all the problems with the tight schedule, we then also created a four-team Super Cup. If modern football is this kind of evolution, then I'm happy to be old-fashioned."

For context the Italian super cup was always like our Community Shield and played as a curtain raiser for the season. Then it moved abroad mid-season. Now they've made it a 4 team tournament.
  • Options
    Erm... Why do they need a Winter Break out there?
    It's done to break the season up as their league season is only 30 games. If they played straight through they'd have a 5 month pre-season break.
  • Options

Got to love what the Lazio manager Sarri said:

"Everyone knows what I think, that this tournament is about anything but sport. Take the money and run away. We get everything we can this way for a few days, while we have to go around the world looking for money. With all the problems with the tight schedule, we then also created a four-team Super Cup. If modern football is this kind of evolution, then I'm happy to be old-fashioned."

For context the Italian super cup was always like our Community Shield and played as a curtain raiser for the season. Then it moved abroad mid-season. Now they've made it a 4 team tournament.
    That should give the FA a few ideas.
  • Options
    Spain have done the same with their super cup too 
  • Options
    edited January 19

• Options
    reports that Hendo and Gerard's club was playing some away games to crowds in the low hundreds .. seems that a commercial success it aint .. still I am sure that commercial considerations were low on the list when it came to the formation of this enterprise, publicity and showing off were and are the main raison d'etres mon ami
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saudi attendance figures so far this season:

• Options

UK is a small market, hilarious :D 
    Most Populous Countries
    The five most populous countries in 2022 are China (1.145 BILLION), India (1.4BILLION), followed by the European Union (which is not a country) 447 Million, the United States 333 Million, the island nation of Indonesia 275 million, and 229 million Pakistan. Nigeria 216 million Brazil 214 million.

China, India, have growing middle classes, USA established middle class ie money to spend

UK 21st in the list 67 million.

And by the way just look what has happened to golf in 18-24 months. Saudi are building up to their World Cup which is in a decade's time.
  • Options

Most Populous Countries
    The five most populous countries in 2022 are China (1.145 BILLION), India (1.4BILLION), followed by the European Union (which is not a country) 447 Million, the United States 333 Million, the island nation of Indonesia 275 million, and 229 million Pakistan. Nigeria 216 million Brazil 214 million.

China, India, have growing middle classes, USA established middle class ie money to spend

And by the way just look what has happened to golf in 18-24 months. Saudi are building up to their World Cup which is in a decade's time.
    Population has absolutely sod all to do with it. 

There are nearly double the amount of people in Ethiopia for instance, they aren't going to do anything in "the market"

There is more money in English football than any other league, by a massive margin.

Golf doesn't have teams with 150 years history followed by generations of families, completely different.

No matter how much money the Saudis throw at it, they can't replicate the Premier League, and it catch up or surpass it either
  • Options

Most Populous Countries

Not sure what population has to do with anything.

China already tried to get seriously involved in football and gave up after just a few years. India would need to heavily invest in their infrastructure and have a long term plan to get millions more kids playing football, as everyone there is cricket obsessed.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Most Populous Countries

There are nearly double the amount of people in Ethiopia for instance, they aren't going to do anything in "the market"

There is more money in English football than any other league, by a massive margin.

Golf doesn't have teams with 150 years history followed by generations of families, completely different.

No matter how much money the Saudis throw at it, they can't replicate the Premier League, and it catch up or surpass it either
    I'm not sure that's true. I totally agree that they won't replicate the following or the atmosphere but if they just buy all the best players, they'll take the TV revenue which would in turn kill the PL stone dead. Personally I'm not even sure that's a bad thing. 
  • Options
    Considering how we are constantly told that attendances mean nothing financially, it's weird how they all of a sudden matter. 
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    sam3110 said:

Most Populous Countries

I'm not sure that's true. I totally agree that they won't replicate the following or the atmosphere but if they just buy all the best players, they'll take the TV revenue which would in turn kill the PL stone dead. Personally I'm not even sure that's a bad thing. 
    But that's the thing there's not enough places in the league for all the best players in the world. 

La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A (and PSG) have some of the best players in the world alongside the Premier League. 

Sure, some more players might chase the money and go there, but to say it'll kill off the Premier League is, quite frankly, horseshit (or camelshit) 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Rizzo said:
    sam3110 said:

Most Populous Countries

But that's the thing there's not enough places in the league for all the best players in the world. 

La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A (and PSG) have some of the best players in the world alongside the Premier League. 

Sure, some more players might chase the money and go there, but to say it'll kill off the Premier League is, quite frankly, horseshit (or camelshit) 
    just depends if the Saudi's want to. If they do they can  shrink and weaken the Premier League. Majority of footballers will go where the money is best. They have limitless money by our standards
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Most Populous Countries

sam3110 said:

Most Populous Countries

Just watch
  • Options
    So nobody is watching it as predicted.

Nobody has any emotional attachment to the teams as predicted.

The players are getting restless quickly as predicted.

So the bed wetting was for nothing....as predicted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 19
  • Options
    Gerrard gets a two year extension on his Saudi contract despite being winless in eight games - what price Appleton?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Most Populous Countries

sam3110 said:

Most Populous Countries

Just watch
    I won't, just like the rest of the world don't. Because no-one gives a shit about their league and in 10 years time it will be just as relevant as the Chinese Super League is right now
  • Options
    Gerrard gets a two year extension on his Saudi contract despite being winless in eight games - what price Appleton?
    Gerrard was hired because he’s a famous name. His managerial record is irrelevant. I expect Lampard and Rooney will get a gig out there soon.