Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Saudi Professional League 23/24

Comments

• Options
    Who's gonna ask him? Not the Saudi media that's for sure. He might get asked if he gets called up to England again, but I'd be surprised if that happens
  • Options
    Mbappe has reportedly rejected the move to Al Hilal
  • Options
    Why offer £259m for a player with one year left on his deal? What other club was even going to offer 159m when they know PSG are desperate to get rid of him?

If they'd offered 150m would PSG have accepted it? Of course they would. Saudi are literally throwing 100m+ away because they can.

Great PR for the league as it's got the whole world talking about them. I've even seen tweets from NBA superstars who are historically amongst the best paid sportsmen in the world, all blown away by the reported sums involved.
  • Options
    A genuine question.

as a group of football fans how many on here will be signing up to watch this league ?
  • Options
    Leaving aside all the moral arguments, it is very funny to watch fans of the big Premier League sides have absolute meltdowns about the money the Saudis are spending.

It was alright when their clubs were the richest, spending multi millions, buying the best players and generally bullying the competition.

But when another country puts their considerable wealth on the table and starts eating your club’s lunch, it’s unfair.
    Yea I'm loving this part and hoping they start taking the fans favourites from the big clubs. Rashford, Fernandes, Salah, Van Dijk etc.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    A genuine question.

as a group of football fans how many on here will be signing up to watch this league ?
    I’m going to guess 0, as someone else mentioned, we’re not really the target audience. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I don’t even think it’s about having him in the league, playing matches. 

It’s all about making everyone look at them by making a statement. And if that’s the objective then it will work. 
    And all the people were confused about why Qatar wanted the World Cup. Here you go. 
    If you’re aiming that at me, then I can tell you now that I wasn’t confused about it at all. 

Saudi also know that if they can attract a young and ‘current’ superstar in their prime like Mbappe then the floodgates will likely open as other players will follow suit. 
  • Options
    Football at the top level was already screwed. I think the Saudi's might actually break it completely.

I almost feel glad to support a club at a level that isn't caught up in this bullshit
    Yet.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

It’s all about making everyone look at them by making a statement. And if that’s the objective then it will work. 
    And all the people were confused about why Qatar wanted the World Cup. Here you go. 
    If you’re aiming that at me, then I can tell you now that I wasn’t confused about it at all. 

Saudi also know that if they can attract a young and ‘current’ superstar in their prime like Mbappe then the floodgates will likely open as other players will follow suit. 
    It'll raise interest in the league but i'm not convinced it will persuade many other young players to go there because everyone knows it'd only be a temporary move for 1 year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

It'll raise interest in the league but i'm not convinced it will persuade many other young players to go there because everyone knows it'd only be a temporary move for 1 year.
    Quadrupling of wages can soon remedy that concern though. And if they know 2-3 other players out there who have had a good time doing it, then that would also help. 
  • Options
    good luck to them all I say - go out and earn what you can, whilst you can.
  • Options
    Reckon we could offload Kirk, Aneke and DJ to a side?

Who has the TV rights to Saudi league, can't see Sky wanting the rights and give exposure to it 
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Who has the TV rights to Saudi league, can't see Sky wanting the rights and give exposure to it 
    Sky were showing games last season, but that was the Ronaldo factor

Apparently there isnt a new deal in place
  • Options

No-one yet, but I'm sure they're trying to get it thrashed out
  • Options
    Money flows down, so if top leagues are getting hundreds of millions pumped in then it's not inconceivable that fees and wages are inflated even in league one
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Any chance they can offer Spurs £200m for Kane?  asking for a friend lol.
    Yes @JohnBoyUK then they can fund your deal for Mbappe

Where the 'its happening' gif? 😂

Dont even think we could stump up the £8m, let alone the other £250m
  • Options
    Money flows down, so if top leagues are getting hundreds of millions pumped in then it's not inconceivable that fees and wages are inflated even in league one
    Can't see that myself, it's a handful of players moving, rather than every team getting 200m to spend. What would help though, is the Saudi league gaining momentum and sky shifting money across and every Premier league team takes a huge hit and has less to spend. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Do you not think he will be asked about it multiple times then? 
    I think the world cup showed that this kind of stuff matters only in a part of Western Europe and North America. It doesn't get any traction in Asia, South America or Africa. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leaving aside all the moral arguments, it is very funny to watch fans of the big Premier League sides have absolute meltdowns about the money the Saudis are spending.

It was alright when their clubs were the richest, spending multi millions, buying the best players and generally bullying the competition.

But when another country puts their considerable wealth on the table and starts eating your club’s lunch, it’s unfair.
    this being what the bigoted tyrants in Riyadh seek to achieve
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Taking bundles of cash off the evil doers just speeds them along in their wicked pursuits
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Can't see that myself, it's a handful of players moving, rather than every team getting 200m to spend. What would help though, is the Saudi league gaining momentum and sky shifting money across and every Premier league team takes a huge hit and has less to spend. 
    Exactly. PIF now own 4 clubs so it's them signing the majority of players. However unless they've changed the rules, Saudi clubs are only allowed 8 foreigners. So that is a maximum of 32 players going to those clubs. Also a lot of these big name players are signing huge deals for 2/3/4 years so what happens next summer? These clubs will have hardly any spots available for new signings. 

1-2 other clubs are signing some players (Al Ettifaq are one) but not many of the other team. It's predominantly the same 'big 4' doing all the signings.

So i don't think world football has to worry too much about 30-40 players going to Saudi. Although of course i know Saudi could change the number of foreigners allowed.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

this being what the bigoted tyrants in Riyadh seek to achieve
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Taking bundles of cash off the evil doers just speeds them along in their wicked pursuits
    Huh? We can talk about different aspects of a situation without forgetting about others, especially the biggest.

Saudi Arabia is bad. Better?
  • Options
    Quite enjoying the thought PSG panicking at that news. 
  • Options
    Marco Verratti looks like the next player to go. Apparently accepted terms (shock) and Al Hilal just need to agree a transfer fee.
  • Options
    Would be brilliant if PSG make him train with the kids all season
  • Options
    I think it's an idle threat from PSG in a bid to force him to go. If he stays (as is likely) and they're paying him 1m+ a week i can't imagine they're going to keep him sat in the stands. 

Laughably though he is apparently due a 60m 'loyalty' bonus from PSG on 1 August.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I can’t see that Mbappe has done anything wrong. He’s willing to play out the remaining year of his deal and fulfil his contract. He hasn’t downed tools. 

PSG have the hump because they want a fee for him, but won’t get it if he doesn’t sign a new contract.