Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Saudi Professional League 23/24

Comments

• Options
    Aymeric Laporte has left Manchester City to join Saudi Pro League side Al Nassr in a deal worth £23.6m.

I'm amazed that no top European clubs made a move for him.
  • Options
    Especially for less than £25m, that's madness. 
  • Options
    Aymeric Laporte has left Manchester City to join Saudi Pro League side Al Nassr in a deal worth £23.6m.

I'm amazed that no top European clubs made a move for him.
    Maybe they did and he wants the money, but have to agree that £24m for a player like Laporte who's still only 29 would have been a bargain for a European club.

West Ham bid £30m for Maguire FFS.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Bono GK

Mendy GK
    Denayer CB
    Demiral CB
    Laporte CB
    Ibanez CB
    Koulibaly CB
    Telles LB
    Kessie DM
    Fabinho DM
    Brozovic DM
    Fofana DM
    Kante DM
    Henderson CM
    Milinkovic-Savic CM
    Neves CM
    Otavio RW
    Jota RW
    Mahrez RW
    Neymar LW
    Mane LW
    Saint Maximan LW
    Firminho ST
    Malcom ST
    Ronaldo ST
    Benzema ST
    Dembele ST

Quite a decent Saudi All Stars squad they can put together now. 

Baring in mind 12 months ago none of them were there
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Bono GK

Mendy GK
    Denayer CB
    Demiral CB
    Laporte CB
    Ibanez CB
    Koulibaly CB
    Telles LB
    Kessie DM
    Fabinho DM
    Brozovic DM
    Fofana DM
    Kante DM
    Henderson CM
    Milinkovic-Savic CM
    Neves CM
    Otavio RW
    Jota RW
    Mahrez RW
    Neymar LW
    Mane LW
    Saint Maximan LW
    Firminho ST
    Malcom ST
    Ronaldo ST
    Benzema ST
    Dembele ST

Quite a decent Saudi All Stars squad they can put together now. 

Baring in mind 12 months ago none of them were there
    Would love to know what the collective weekly wage is across that lot. GDP of a small country!
  • Options
    A Saudi tv channel has reported that Mo Salah has told Liverpool he wants to leave and join Al Ittihad and will fly out for a medical after todays game. 

Apparently offering him more money than Ronaldo, 300m over 3 years.
  • Options
    A Saudi tv channel has reported that Mo Salah has told Liverpool he wants to leave and join Al Ittihad and will fly out for a medical after todays game. 

Apparently offering him more money than Ronaldo, 300m over 3 years.
    All that will do is get Ronny to throw his toys out the pram until they renegotiate his deal, or he'll find a different third rate league to pay stupid money to take him on. 
  • Options
    Is Henderson the only British player to have gone out there so far?
  • Options
    Is Henderson the only British player to have gone out there so far?
    Only Englishman, Jack Hendry has gone to the same club. 

So they’ve got a mackam, a scouser and a Scot, I’m sure the rest will pick up English in no time. 
  • Options
    Al Ittihad have apparently offered a world record £215m for Salah. Saudi transfer window closes on Thursday. 

If you were Liverpool would you sell, knowing you can't replace him for 5 months?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Al Ittihad have apparently offered a world record £215m for Salah. Saudi transfer window closes on Thursday. 

If you were Liverpool would you sell, knowing you can't replace him for 5 months?
    Even in January, everyone will know they have £215m to spend so prices will go through the roof for them.

That said, yeah I probably would, £215m for a 31 year old whose big asset has been pace....

They've got decent depth in Diaz, Gakpo, Jota etc too - they're not as good as Salah but they'd do until January and then you can look for 2, 3 younger players to develop with that amount of money.
  • Options

You've got to take it. They can go out and a buy a quality centre-back and a Salah replacement with that money. The window closing creates a complication as the fans will go mad. Ultimately I think they'll take it if Salah pushes for it, and hang on if he doesn't. 
  • Options

If I were Liverpool I wouldn't take it and not just for the lunacy of being unable to replace him for half the season
    Liverpool FC is owned by american businessmen who were bang up for forming the european super league
    they are devoted to making money for money's sake - £200+M will be very hard for them to resist
    their amorality will have them weighing £200+M in the hand today v the probable cost of missing out on european football next season added to the risk and cost of replacing Salah in January

Henderson's bleating about the pain of the criticism is either the weasel words of a hypocrite defending his brand (FFS) or he's a deluded halfwit -  what the AF did he expect?
    even if stories of £37M p.a. salary (tax free by the way) are wide of the mark, the shameless whore ain't earning any less now than when he was at Liverpool is he?
    if it was really about "playing time" he had his pick of sides that would happily have him in their matchday squad and in countries that don't actively persecute 50+% of their population and routinely murder dissidents
  • Options

Even in January, everyone will know they have £215m to spend so prices will go through the roof for them.

That said, yeah I probably would, £215m for a 31 year old whose big asset has been pace....

They've got decent depth in Diaz, Gakpo, Jota etc too - they're not as good as Salah but they'd do until January and then you can look for 2, 3 younger players to develop with that amount of money.
    Everyone knows they have money anyway, they're Liverpool. Last month they bid 100m for Caicedo before he chose Chelsea.

But if you shop sensibly, then with 215m you can easily buy 3 top level players for around 70m each.

Also a key point is that Salah is likely to go anyway, if not now then surely next summer, so they might as well take the stupid money on offer now and get planning for the rebuild.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

If I were Liverpool I wouldn't take it and not just for the lunacy of being unable to replace him for half the season
    Liverpool FC is owned by american businessmen who were bang up for forming the european super league
    they are devoted to making money for money's sake - £200+M will be very hard for them to resist
    their amorality will have them weighing £200+M in the hand today v the probable cost of missing out on european football next season added to the risk and cost of replacing Salah in January

Henderson's bleating about the pain of the criticism is either the weasel words of a hypocrite defending his brand (FFS) or he's a deluded halfwit -  what the AF did he expect?
    even if stories of £37M p.a. salary (tax free by the way) are wide of the mark, the shameless whore ain't earning any less now than when he was at Liverpool is he?
    if it was really about "playing time" he had his pick of sides that would happily have him in their matchday squad and in countries that don't actively persecute 50+% of their population and routinely murder dissidents
    Henderson took up two pages of the Mirror today.  He seems to think that him going to Saudi has shone a light on the issues of a repressive state and that it can only be a positive thing.

Do me a favour mate! it is only a positive thing for the regime that has just sentenced a man to death for tweeting dissent against the top brass to his 10 followers, a regime that executed 81 people on one day last year and a regime who murdered a journalist in one of their embassies, a regime whose record against human rights is atrocious.

The only effect elite athletes who go there have on the Saudis is to embolden them.  The Mirror concludes that there is not a chance that Henderson will bring up his supposed views and values in Saudi - primarily because they have bought them.

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:

No no, don't you understand, it was an exciting new challenge!!

You can't possibly get an exiting new challenge anywhere but the place that also happens to be trebling your salary.

• Options
    As a country they are definitely on the hunt for foreign workers in general.  They’re making a big play in banking and can offer more money than a lot of the European Banks.  It’s whether or not you can adapt to the lifestyle.  
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    As a country they are definitely on the hunt for foreign workers in general.  They’re making a big play in banking and can offer more money than a lot of the European Banks.  It’s whether or not you can adapt to the lifestyle. And whether you are morally bankrupt 

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    cabbles said:
    As a country they are definitely on the hunt for foreign workers in general.  They’re making a big play in banking and can offer more money than a lot of the European Banks.  It’s whether or not you can adapt to the lifestyle. And whether you are morally bankrupt 

why do you have to be morally bankrupt to work in Saudi ?

Any different to working in the US with their archaic rules on women's rights over their own body ?
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    As a country they are definitely on the hunt for foreign workers in general.  They’re making a big play in banking and can offer more money than a lot of the European Banks.  It’s whether or not you can adapt to the lifestyle.  
    It’s the same for foreign based teachers too, I was approached twice over summer by international schools in Saudi and the money on offer is insane. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cabbles said:

Any different to working in the US with their archaic rules on women's rights over their own body ?
    They've been allowed to drive and vote in the US for more than 15 minutes though
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cabbles said:

They've been allowed to drive and vote in the US for more than 15 minutes though
    Ok so we can overlook other stuff then ?

• Options
    No but in the league table of morally bankrupt nations Saudi Arabia is in the playoff positions, whilst America is a mid table team with aspirations of joining the elite
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    No but in the league table of morally bankrupt nations Saudi Arabia is in the playoff positions, whilst America is a mid table team with aspirations of joining the elite
    America are well up there, but let's not get this thread shut down too. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    It’s the same for foreign based teachers too, I was approached twice over summer by international schools in Saudi and the money on offer is insane. 
    Enough to tempt you?
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Expats have worked in Saudi for years, I remember a recruitment consultant raising an accounting vacancy out there to me 20 years ago
  • Options
    Few more names going there in the past few days, most notably Carrasco and Luiz Felipe from La Liga, both playing regularly for their clubs before switching, Wijnaldum from PSG and Demarai Gray from Everton
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Enough to tempt you?
    If I didn’t have a half Chinese 5 year old, definitely.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Enough to tempt you?
    If I didn’t have a half Chinese 5 year old, definitely.
    Fair play to you mate.  You put the mercenaries like Henderson to shame.
  • Options
    Paraphrased from today's Mirror.

Clubs in Saudi Arabia spent £701 million pounds on big name players last summer.

According to Michael Emenalo (Saudi Pro League director of football) the focus will now switch to players in their prime.  However, it's not all plain sailing as the average attendance to a pro league game is just 8470 with some games attracting less than a 1000.

One can only hope that their money doesn't ruin the game we all love.