Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Saudi Professional League 23/24

Comments

• Options
    3 more deals apparently agreed for Premier league players.

Jordan Henderson 12m + add ons to Al Ettifaq.

Riyad Mahrez 30m to Al Ahli.

Alex Telles 4m to Al Nassr.
  • Options
    Be interested if this move means Henderson has kissed his place goodbye at Euro 2024
  • Options
    Mitrovic throwing a wobbly after feeling like he's been priced out of a move by Fulham.
  • Options
    Mitrovic throwing a wobbly after feeling like he's been priced out of a move by Fulham.
    When forcing a move, footballers can normally explain/pretend that it's about "ambition" i.e. I want to move to City/Real/Chelsea because I want to play with the best players, improve myself and win trophies, whereas with all these Saudi moves, the only ambition is to become even richer than they already are...
  • Options
    edited July 2023
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Henderson is the most disappointing here by a mile. Ultimately, his morals were tested and he made his choice. He has lost the trust of so many people who admired him. That's not tangible, and I'm sure the £700k a week probably provides some comfort to him, but it is so sad to see nonetheless
    700k a week… I’d be over there in a heartbeat in the same situation 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When forcing a move, footballers can normally explain/pretend that it's about "ambition" i.e. I want to move to City/Real/Chelsea because I want to play with the best players, improve myself and win trophies, whereas with all these Saudi moves, the only ambition is to become even richer than they already are...
    For most footballers it's only ever about the money. Ultimately it's a job and in a lot of cases their career is done by the time you're 35. It's also a career where you're one bad injury/incident away from an even earlier retirement (Dean Ashton, Ryan Mason, Fabrice Muamba as examples) so i'd never begrudge any player for taking the money when they can.

Mitrovic has 3 years left on his contract and by the time it ends he'll be almost 32 so you'd imagine this is his last chance for a big contract. He's been given the chance to earn in 3 years in Saudi what would take him 10 years at Fulham. He'd be crazy to turn that down.
  • Options
    Henderson's desire to earn big money is backed by Liverpool's desire to take the £12 million on offer which in turn is completely in line with most football clubs, sporting institutions, authorities, big businesses and even countries.

Henderson could point out that those in genuine positions of power should be taken to task for the sellout to Saudi and not the ones in the centre of midfield. 

But, wouldn't it be great to see a few of these ageing millionaire footballers take their talents elsewhere and make a stand for principle.  Maybe they could coin a phrase like, 'Not In My Game', you never know it could catch on.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Henderson is the most disappointing here by a mile. Ultimately, his morals were tested and he made his choice. He has lost the trust of so many people who admired him. That's not tangible, and I'm sure the £700k a week probably provides some comfort to him, but it is so sad to see nonetheless
    ...as would everyone else on here with an opinion. If they say they wouldn't then I'll point to a string of massive liars.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    ...as would everyone else on here with an opinion. If they say they wouldn't then I'll point to a string of massive liars.
    True but who on here is already a multimillionaire. I get it really is set for life money but it does make Henderson's previous LGBTQ stance a bit hollow once a few extra £££ is waved in front of his eyes. No doubt once his stint in Saudi is done he'll pick up the baton again. 
    Yeah, that part isn't lost on me and it's a fair point. I still defy anyone to turn down £700k a week, though, regardless of their stances on any social issues and the support they give/have given.
  • Options
    Zaha off to Turkey, thought he might have gone to Saudi.
  • Options
    Zaha off to Turkey, thought he might have gone to Saudi.
    Wants to play in the Champions league. Can probably play there for a couple of years and then go to Saudi.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2023
    This is absolute nonsense. Even Saudi aren't paying 1 billion for 1 season. They didn't even offer Messi that much for a year.
  • Options
    Never heard of a deal breaking down because of a dog before!

"Fabinho’s move to Saudi Arabia is reportedly being delayed due to the breeds of his dogs. The Brazil international is desperate to make the lucrative move to the Middle East, but he is seeking clarity on the logistics of whether he can take his four-legged family there before penning the contract.

Fabinho has two French bulldogs, though it is unclear as to whether they will be permitted to make the move as well at this stage. ‘Dangerous and aggressive dogs’ are banned from Saudi Arabia, with Rottweilers and Pit Bulls not permitted – though there are fears that ‘Frenchies’ are grouped with the latter."

• Options
    We won't mention the fact that 300m would sit very nicely in fellow middle-east-owned club's FFP budget. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    R0TW said:
    Shame, but is it really unsurprising?

He was too good to join Wolves in the Championship in the first place.

Its when the Saudis etc. start to attract those who aren't old, or aren't already mercenaries that we'll want to worry

We've seen this from the Chinese already
    Can you explain why we need to worry?
    Personally Couldn't give a toss.
    When the likes of Bellingham in their prime opt for Saudi money over proper Football?

For now though, they're just another MLS | Chinese Super League
    Let's hope that's true and the impact is brief

I fear that the sheer amount of money the saudis are prepared to throw at this will make their sportwashed abomination irresistible to far too many mercenary callous halfwits

What chances that domestic football associations will have the integrity and gumption to disbar the mercenary callous halfwits from representing their home nations in international football?  Will that give pause for thought to enough players?

For the hard of understanding the saudi regime is funding this directly.  No amount of smoke and mirrors bullshit about investment funds is fooling anyone - we're looking at you Newcastle United, LIV golf.
    The saudi regime is authoritarian to the point of barbarism in its oppression of swathes of its domestic population
    It is cheerfully shameless in silencing dissent even outside its borders
    It slaughters innocents on a daily basis in its proxy war with Iran in neighbouring Yemen

Accepting one riyal from them makes the recipient guilty by association.  Every single riyal is drenched in the blood of innocent victims of saudi barbarism.

For the complacently disinterested in the morality of international affairs: the saudis are also hitting every one of you in the pocket every day by propping up the price of crude oil with all that entails for our economy and your wealth. 

"keep politics out of sport"  bleat bleat whine whine  etc

Saudi money in sport IS politics in sport - that's the only reason they're "investing" 
    That saudi investment fund owns/controls 4 of the saudi league's clubs
    That's completely at odds with the rules across UEFA and all its national domestic affiliates  - I'm guessing FIFA and its Asian affiliate are not bothered about the obvious total removal of any possibility of true competition in the saudi pro league?

Who is going to be watching the pantomime?  How much are they likely to be paying so to do?
    We all know why Riyadh is throwing money at sport but how gullible do they think we are?

They're cooking up a cynical blood soaked harlem globetrotters/WWE frankenshambles.
    Conference standard practice matches with a sprinkling of talented but craven whores watched by tiny crowds
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    R0TW said:
    Shame, but is it really unsurprising?

He was too good to join Wolves in the Championship in the first place.

Its when the Saudis etc. start to attract those who aren't old, or aren't already mercenaries that we'll want to worry

We've seen this from the Chinese already
    Can you explain why we need to worry?
    Personally Couldn't give a toss.
    When the likes of Bellingham in their prime opt for Saudi money over proper Football?

For now though, they're just another MLS | Chinese Super League
    Let's hope that's true and the impact is brief

I fear that the sheer amount of money the saudis are prepared to throw at this will make their sportwashed abomination irresistible to far too many mercenary callous halfwits

What chances that domestic football associations will have the integrity and gumption to disbar the mercenary callous halfwits from representing their home nations in international football?  Will that give pause for thought to enough players?

For the hard of understanding the saudi regime is funding this directly.  No amount of smoke and mirrors bullshit about investment funds is fooling anyone - we're looking at you Newcastle United, LIV golf.
    The saudi regime is authoritarian to the point of barbarism in its oppression of swathes of its domestic population
    It is cheerfully shameless in silencing dissent even outside its borders
    It slaughters innocents on a daily basis in its proxy war with Iran in neighbouring Yemen

Accepting one riyal from them makes the recipient guilty by association.  Every single riyal is drenched in the blood of innocent victims of saudi barbarism.

For the complacently disinterested in the morality of international affairs: the saudis are also hitting every one of you in the pocket every day by propping up the price of crude oil with all that entails for our economy and your wealth. 

"keep politics out of sport"  bleat bleat whine whine  etc

Saudi money in sport IS politics in sport - that's the only reason they're "investing" 
    That saudi investment fund owns/controls 4 of the saudi league's clubs
    That's completely at odds with the rules across UEFA and all its national domestic affiliates  - I'm guessing FIFA and its Asian affiliate are not bothered about the obvious total removal of any possibility of true competition in the saudi pro league?

Who is going to be watching the pantomime?  How much are they likely to be paying so to do?
    We all know why Riyadh is throwing money at sport but how gullible do they think we are?

They're cooking up a cynical blood soaked harlem globetrotters/WWE frankenshambles.
    Conference standard practice matches with a sprinkling of talented but craven whores watched by tiny crowds
    I don’t think it’s a League aimed at the likes of us “legacy fans” (that’s what match going, lower league types are referred to by the powers that be).

It’s aimed at the tens of millions of football fans of a certain age who support individual players as much as they do their clubs. Young people will obsess over the likes of Ronaldo, Mbappe, Messi etc wherever they go, regardless of the quality of the league or how ‘proper’ or ‘plastic’ it feels.

This week alone I’ve seen multiple kids in yellow Al-Nassr Ronaldo shirts, and even saw one in a Messi / Inter Miami one literally a day after the signing was announced. 
  • Options
    Is there a difference between one club and another in Saudi?

• Options
    Inter Miami ticket averages were $25, now they're $440. 

Shirt sales absolutely through the roof.

We may not like it as a concept, but there will be a huge "buzz" around the Saudi League now
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    seth plum said:
    Is there a difference between one club and another in Saudi?

Depends on the crime, I'd have thought.
  • Options
    £11.6m per week, before tax.  

And, after tax, about £11.6m per week.