Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Saudi Professional League 23/24

Comments

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    Neves is only 26, waste of his prime years going to play out there 
    His prime years? Earning what they're talking about, these will be his prime years. 

Try not to get too glassy eyed about football, it'll only disappoint when you understand what it's actually about... Money. 
    His prime years playing for top clubs against the best players.

Surely most players aren't entirely driven by money, when they are fabulously wealthy already 
    A recent political commentary which applies as much here was " One thing I have learned about the rich is it is never enough"

• Options
    Will now be interesting to see how many Saudis buy English clubs now. 
  • Options
    How many players will now say 'since I was born it has been my dream to play in the Saudi Premier League'. 
  • Options
    Mbappe's contract running out next summer will be very interesting...

Imagine if the Champions League allowed Saudi Arabian teams to enter the qualification stage, I can honestly see it happening if they start draining all the top players from Europe. The aim is all about 2030 and they will be very aggressive in the next 5 years. 
    There's no way UEFA will suddenly start allowing Saudi teams to compete in the European champions league when they will already compete in the Asian champions league. Not to mention that UEFA has FFP rules, so how would Saudi clubs get around that?

There's also the issue that there's only a handful of Saudi sides with the money to attract world class players and the (current) rules are that each team is only allowed 8 foreign players. So it's not as if they're going to suddenly take over the world.
  • Options
    Just see this being another CSL type thing - players move for extortionate salaries , the standard of the league gets raised for a couple of years and then everyone moves on as the older players retire. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Imagine if the Champions League allowed Saudi Arabian teams to enter the qualification stage, I can honestly see it happening if they start draining all the top players from Europe. The aim is all about 2030 and they will be very aggressive in the next 5 years. 
    There's no way UEFA will suddenly start allowing Saudi teams to compete in the European champions league when they will already compete in the Asian champions league. Not to mention that UEFA has FFP rules, so how would Saudi clubs get around that?

There's also the issue that there's only a handful of Saudi sides with the money to attract world class players and the (current) rules are that each team is only allowed 8 foreign players. So it's not as if they're going to suddenly take over the world.
    Every single one of those rules can, and will, be changed. 
    You seriously think UEFA will start to allow Saudi teams to compete in the European champions league just because they've signed a few players?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

You seriously think UEFA will start to allow Saudi teams to compete in the European champions league just because they've signed a few players?
    No, I think they’ll allow them to compete in the Champions League if/when the Saudis offer to make a “solidarity contribution” (or whatever they’ll describe it as) to UEFA in return. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

No, I think they’ll allow them to compete in the Champions League if/when the Saudis offer to make a “solidarity contribution” (or whatever they’ll describe it as) to UEFA in return. 
    They’ll dress it up as some ridiculous global tournament 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Hence why we're already getting some new Club World Cup in 2025, which'll consist of 32-teams

2025 FIFA Club World Cup - Wikipedia
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Hence why we're already getting some new Club World Cup in 2025, which'll consist of 32-teams

2025 FIFA Club World Cup - Wikipedia
    There you have it. 
  • Options
    That tournament is already heavily weighted towards European teams and it can't be played in Saudi as the only space for it is in June/July. It will also be held every 4 years, so Saudi are not going to have much influence there.

Of course that's not to say it won't be moved in future and played in Saudi during the winter like the Qatar world cup.
  • Options
    this is going to end up like the chinese super league, no one will watch but a few players will make boatloads of money wasting their career.
  • Options
    The Saudis will get the World Cup in 2030 or 2034 FACT :)
  • Options
    maybe they don't think of it as a wasted career, making money to set their family up for generations ?

why do we have difficulty in forgetting this is their job
  • Options
    this is going to end up like the chinese super league, no one will watch but a few players will make boatloads of money wasting their career.
    Hardly wasting their careers if they make a boatload of money, a very small minority would turn opportunities like that down 
  • Options
    Top players make a boatload of money wherever they play. What's the fucking point?
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the Saudi's pushing for their clubs to join the Champions League considering other non-European clubs are allowed to enter
  • Options
    Not on this level though, big difference between 400k a week and 3.5m a week. (Benzema's Real contact vs his alleged Saudi contract)
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the Saudi's pushing for their clubs to join the Champions League considering other non-European clubs are allowed to enter
    What other Non-European teams would that be?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Israeli teams are allowed to enter, I guess they are the only ones but the precedent has been set
  • Options
    Because the Arab countries refused to play them
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Israeli teams are allowed to enter, I guess they are the only ones but the precedent has been set
    probably something to do with the fact the countries in the same region as israel hate them and jewish people for no decent reason.
  • Options
    Kazakhstan switched to UEFA from AFC. Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia could potentially belong to either too.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    And don't get me started about Australia in Eurovision ...
    And Asia when it comes to football…
  • Options
    Even if they was allowed, they would break FFP straight away.. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Leuth said:
    Top players make a boatload of money wherever they play. What's the fucking point?
    Kap 10 answered that one at the top of the page mate. Greed.

I don't think even the players themselves realise how much they are actually earning, beyond a certain point it just becomes a number, and the figures involved are too vast to comprehend.  
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

I'm sure the sponsorship deals these teams 'negotiate' will solve that problem.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

I'm sure the sponsorship deals these teams 'negotiate' will solve that problem.
    Not sure it is that easy to get around, as Man City have found out.