Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lloyd Jones signs on a two year deal

Comments

• Options
    Jones seems to have gone off the boil the last few weeks , maybe it's not having a settled partnership back there like he'd started to develop with Hector that's the root cause of the recent downturn in form from him. 

Would happily have him as a squad player next year but it's an area I'd be looking to upgrade in the summer even with the arrivals of REG and Gillesphey especially if the plan is 352 for the long haul. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Bailey said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I really think he has been overhyped at the start of the season, he was making a lot of errors early part, and wasn't always leading to goals.. And as fans we was to focused on Hector.. 

Seems a nice lad, but he is bottom half league one player!
    I think he’s being underrated now because of his recent form. It’s not so black and white, he never was a top L1 CB but he’s better than a bottom half player.

He’s not the dominate Championship ready CB we want but you don’t need four of those to get promoted.

Most CBs wouldn’t fully convince playing in this team as they’re constantly under pressure, especially when we haven’t had a physical striker to hold up the ball. Our midfield aren’t great at protecting the defence either.

That dominate CB needs to be one of a few priorities in the summer (assuming we won’t sign a third this window) but we shouldn’t write off Jones as if he’s the problem and can’t contribute.
    He is good in the air, if he only had to head the ball he would be the best defender in the league.. But his marking is poor, he isn't a good communicator and general reading of the game is poor. 1 out 4 things to be a decent defender! That doesn't include being comfortable with the ball at his feet, which is becoming more and more important, but you can still be a good career without that. 

He did okay after the mistake, but was only basic defending!

At the moment, Thomas is our best defender currently, and that is a bit of a worry! 
    No one was really picking up on any of this when he was playing well, maybe those weaknesses aren’t quite as bad as you’re suggesting.

Same with Thomas, he’s now being seen as our best available CB as he’s had a few good games. If he makes a mistake or two to give away a goal over the next month the discussion will move to releasing him in the summer. It’s not that black and white, either could provide decent cover in a promotion challenging squad. Until recently Jones was the one most would have picked if one had to be a regular.
    I certainly was.. and mentioned it a number of times, when people were going on about Hector not being very good.. Hector through out the start of the season, ended up picking Jones man up..

Hector did get caught on the ball and yes made some defensive errors as well, but no where near the amount as Jones.

Personally, not a fan of Thomas, and won't win promotion with him, but he has done well last few weeks
    What errors did Jones make earlier in the season specifically? 
    Port Vale at home. Not winning the header, allowed the ball to bounce just in front of Hector.. Maybe Hector should have done better, but the ball should have never got to him

The one that's three feet over his head?

"Maybe" Hector should have done better?

WIthout even going into the others, you'd have to accept that's quite an unconvincing list when you've said he's had way more errors than Hec.
    Sorry, as you have mentioned enough times about Jones being the attacking defender to go and win the headers, he needs to go and win that.. 
    Win it how, with a jetpack... ? I don't think we even need to go into the minutae of what's happening in that clip, it's clear as day. I was at the game and Hector's misjudgement of that ball was one of the most bizarre moments I've seen on a football pitch. 

Re: "you have mentioned enough times about Jones being the attacking defender to go and win headers" I think you've got me confused with somebody else. I mentioned that Jones wins more headers and duels than Hector does. But it was others who said the reason for that statistical difference is because he's the attacking CB and Hector is the one who sits behind. Not something I particularly agree with. 
    Apologies if I got you confused with someone else.. It wasn't that far over his head, he has ducked under it.. I even remember Brownie saying at the time, he needs to win that.. 

As I said Hector plays a big part in this, but so does Jones 100% he should be getting up to win that.
    A defender is not always guaranteed to win a header against an opponent, have a look at defenders against Chuks as an example, Hector places himself correctly because he understands that there is no guarantee and make a hash of it. Next time you watch a game, because you clearly have never played it, see how many headed duals are won or lost.  
    Hahaha… pretty sure I have played a better and higher standard than you.. 😉

Obviously a defender not always going to win the ball, that is the game for you, as you will see Hector backs off, incase there is a flick.

Maybe I am being slightly harsh on Jones in this case, but one thing for sure Rufus is winning that header, he isn’t letting his man stopping him for jumping.
    Let’s be honest, that’s a stupid comparison when one played for us in the Premier League and was a fantastic defender and the other currently plays in League One in what (points wise so far) is up there with our worst ever team.
  • Options
    Exactly. What's fraud got to do with this!
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Bailey said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I really think he has been overhyped at the start of the season, he was making a lot of errors early part, and wasn't always leading to goals.. And as fans we was to focused on Hector.. 

I think he’s being underrated now because of his recent form. It’s not so black and white, he never was a top L1 CB but he’s better than a bottom half player.

He’s not the dominate Championship ready CB we want but you don’t need four of those to get promoted.

Most CBs wouldn’t fully convince playing in this team as they’re constantly under pressure, especially when we haven’t had a physical striker to hold up the ball. Our midfield aren’t great at protecting the defence either.

That dominate CB needs to be one of a few priorities in the summer (assuming we won’t sign a third this window) but we shouldn’t write off Jones as if he’s the problem and can’t contribute.
    He is good in the air, if he only had to head the ball he would be the best defender in the league.. But his marking is poor, he isn't a good communicator and general reading of the game is poor. 1 out 4 things to be a decent defender! That doesn't include being comfortable with the ball at his feet, which is becoming more and more important, but you can still be a good career without that. 

At the moment, Thomas is our best defender currently, and that is a bit of a worry! 
    No one was really picking up on any of this when he was playing well, maybe those weaknesses aren’t quite as bad as you’re suggesting.

Same with Thomas, he’s now being seen as our best available CB as he’s had a few good games. If he makes a mistake or two to give away a goal over the next month the discussion will move to releasing him in the summer. It’s not that black and white, either could provide decent cover in a promotion challenging squad. Until recently Jones was the one most would have picked if one had to be a regular.
    I certainly was.. and mentioned it a number of times, when people were going on about Hector not being very good.. Hector through out the start of the season, ended up picking Jones man up..

Hector did get caught on the ball and yes made some defensive errors as well, but no where near the amount as Jones.

Personally, not a fan of Thomas, and won't win promotion with him, but he has done well last few weeks
    Port Vale at home. Not winning the header, allowed the ball to bounce just in front of Hector.. Maybe Hector should have done better, but the ball should have never got to him

WIthout even going into the others, you'd have to accept that's quite an unconvincing list when you've said he's had way more errors than Hec.
    Sorry, as you have mentioned enough times about Jones being the attacking defender to go and win the headers, he needs to go and win that.. 
    Win it how, with a jetpack... ? I don't think we even need to go into the minutae of what's happening in that clip, it's clear as day. I was at the game and Hector's misjudgement of that ball was one of the most bizarre moments I've seen on a football pitch. 

Re: "you have mentioned enough times about Jones being the attacking defender to go and win headers" I think you've got me confused with somebody else. I mentioned that Jones wins more headers and duels than Hector does. But it was others who said the reason for that statistical difference is because he's the attacking CB and Hector is the one who sits behind. Not something I particularly agree with. 
    Apologies if I got you confused with someone else.. It wasn't that far over his head, he has ducked under it.. I even remember Brownie saying at the time, he needs to win that.. 

As I said Hector plays a big part in this, but so does Jones 100% he should be getting up to win that.
    A defender is not always guaranteed to win a header against an opponent, have a look at defenders against Chuks as an example, Hector places himself correctly because he understands that there is no guarantee and make a hash of it. Next time you watch a game, because you clearly have never played it, see how many headed duals are won or lost.  

Obviously a defender not always going to win the ball, that is the game for you, as you will see Hector backs off, incase there is a flick.

Maybe I am being slightly harsh on Jones in this case, but one thing for sure Rufus is winning that header, he isn’t letting his man stopping him for jumping.
    No one is winning that header, it's miles above him.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Bailey said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

He got caught under the ball.. It wasn't that high, run and attack the ball you easily get 3 or 4 foot in the air, and would have met that.. I have watched it some many times and still of the same opinion
  • Options
    Sage said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Bailey said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Let’s be honest, that’s a stupid comparison when one played for us in the Premier League and was a fantastic defender and the other currently plays in League One in what (points wise so far) is up there with our worst ever team.
    Not really.. Heading the ball doesn't matter what league you are in.. If anything lower league players should be better as the style of football is different to premier league. 
  • Options
    edited January 30
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Bailey said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

He got caught under the ball.. It wasn't that high, run and attack the ball you easily get 3 or 4 foot in the air, and would have met that.. I have watched it some many times and still of the same opinion
    You can't keep this one going Dubai mate.... 3-4 foot? Michael Jordan could jump 4 foot in the air, and he was 6ft 6 and the world's greatest athlete, which helped. 

Jones doesn't even have to try and win that header (that he can't even reach). There's no danger... The ball is going to Hector who has the easy task of chesting a ball down. 
  • Options
    I don't rate Jones but the PV goal in question is 100% Hector's fault. Mad to even suggest otherwise.
  • Options
    The whole defence needs work on but after watching Wrexham’s Tozer and O’Connell ( potentially the slowest centre back pairing in the whole league ) last night things could be worse. Never rated O’Connell.  I remember some people had a meltdown when he left replaced by Hector who despite his occasional mistake is far superior to O’Connell.
  • Options
    But what about that goal Minto?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Bailey said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Bailey said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Not really.. Heading the ball doesn't matter what league you are in.. If anything lower league players should be better as the style of football is different to premier league. 
    Lower league players should be better at heading the ball than Premier League players!
    Bexley Boy, it looks like you have a rival.
  • Options
    What’s the lyrics to the song though….

He signed from Cambridge, he plays in red and white,

he hates the Millwall, he thinks their f**king shite,

he’s breaking ankles every f**king week…. 

Don’t know the rest. 
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:

Don’t know the rest. 
    He’s breaking ankles everywhere he goes (might explain our injury crisis this season)

His name is Lloydy, Lloydy f**cking Jones 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Thought he was back to his old self yesterday. One of the only positives 
    Pleased to hear that. He’s a good player who had had a slight dip in form and within a couple of games people were ready to write him off like others before him.
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:

Don’t know the rest. 
    I sing it as "he's breaking ankles every where he goes,, his name is Lloydy, Lloydy f***ing Jones", but I could be wrong..
  • Options
    What happened to him over the last few months? Was he injured, or just not rated by Jones?
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    What happened to him over the last few months? Was he injured, or just not rated by Jones?
    Correct me if I'm wrong but don't believe he's really featured since it was announced he was going on that dating show? Pretty telling tbh
  • Options
    edited April 30
    When was his last appearance?

Just pure speculation but I wonder if that silly yellow card he got to be suspended was linked to a "break" somewhere. Not the actual show, of course, as I believe that was recorded earlier.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    When was his last appearance?

Just pure speculation but I wonder if that silly yellow card he got to be suspended was linked to a "break" somewhere. Not the actual show, of course, as I believe that was recorded earlier.
    Yes, but I also think he might have been carrying an injury.. But was never mentioned by NJ.. But not 100% he is the character that NJ would particularly like

• Options
    I'm not having that proof.
    Jones dropped him because he was in a TV series last summer. FACT.
  • Options
    Stop victimising me 😄😄😄
  • Options
    Was defo in the gym recovering from an injury in the last weeks of the season. Like @Henry Irving I saw him and I spoke to him while in the gym (I was not using any equipment). Will be back in pre-season. NJ clearly likes to keep very tight lipped about injured players/their status etc. “Getting closer…” about the best we can expect.
  • Options
    If it is fact than that’s disappointing. Was the show filmed before he joined us, if not did the manager at the time agree to it. Very disappointing if a manager is taking action for something that happened before the manager and possibly the player joined the club
    I believe that @Covered End was indulging in some sarcasm
  • Options
    Whooooosssshhhhhh.
  • Options
    edited April 30