Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lloyd Jones signs on a two year deal

Comments

• Options
    Can’t see that Hector has many strengths to be honest unless you call consistent lapses of concentration a strength.
    He has one of those a game but he is playing in League One so par for the course in this division 
  • Options
    Go out and move mountains to sign whoever is Jones’s best friend centreback in January. We stop leaking goals at the back and we won’t waste our window of opportunity that is the top-of-the-league goalscorer.
  • Options
    Until we get another Lloyd Jones to play alongside the real one, I think we’re destined to struggle defensively. Hector has been an enormous disappointment and Ness has gone backwards. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Hector was fine? I like their partnership 
    Just seen the Players' Marks thread. Hector - 7 dominant
    Hilariious. You need to change your medication.
    What did he do wrong? Their goal was a wicked cross, almost impossible to defend, and he looked to defend on the front foot for the rest of the game, didn't let them play in front of him. Jones did so even more forthrightly, but they're both unafraid to mix it 
    His positioning, as always, was dreadful. He barely won a ball if he was challenged.
    He always lets attackers run beyond him, assuming that someone else will pick them up. He has zero organisation skills.

Cheltenham had one shot on target. He must have done something right 
    Umm. They are bottom of the league and have scored something like 10 goals all season. So one shot on target is par for the course. Otherwise we contrived to make the Gloucestershire race track look good. 

Jones is a million miles away from being as good as Naby Sarr let alone Matt Taylor or Michael Morrison. 
    We shouldn’t judge individuals based on the disappointing overall team performance this season. Matt Taylor is who I’d compare Jones to, he’s pretty consistent and does his job well without standing out. I’m struggling to think what makes him a million miles from those three. The 11/12 defence was very strong as a unit but part of that was because they were settled.

He’s has had to play alongside Hector who’s made more errors and has question marks over how committed he really is. We’ve played various players at GK and FB, and even now our FBs are arguably WBs (signed for Holden’s 3-5-2) with their main strengths in going forward rather than defending. I’m hoping Watson and Edun get better with game time rather than become players we need to replace.

In front of them our wingers are very attacking, they play more like wide forwards than wingers expected to track back and regularly support the FBs.

Jones is a player I think could step up and be part of a promotion team, but we need to improve the quality around him and the others who could also make the step up.
  • Options
    I believe the club expected Ness to be a dominant force this season, but he's struggled since his patellar tendon injury. I believe it was just a grade one.

Going (a little) off topic, it just shows how strong and well Joe Gomez has coped with some nasty injuries and surgeries. His last was a full patellar tendon rupture. You don't see many (or any) recover from this and return to elite football. The scar can be found online and is not pretty!
  • Options
    More signings like this bloke please
    I very much agree. He's a fantastic player. We need someone with an attitude and level like his....in midfield ;)

Joking aside, him and May have saved our latest transfer window big time
  • Options
    I’ll reserve my judgment until I’ve seen his tunnel jump.
    Sadly he probably didn't get to do one on Saturday. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I get that Fleming needs to boost his confidence, and it’s true that he won five headers, and it’s true that we all want him to do well. But it’s also true that if we want to progress as a club we can’t keep carrying players like Jones. If he was young, and especially if he was an academy graduate, you could making an argument for nurturing him, but he’s 28 and is unlikely to improve radically. 
    We need a dominant, Santos-style centre back as a matter of urgency. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What’s happened in a month? 
  • Options

We’re transitioning from having a
    ‘stop clocked’ gameplan that doesn’t work 22 times out of 24 to one that adapts. Fans and players will need a bit of time to fully get used to it.
  • Options

Hector being injured seems to have affected him?
  • Options
    he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team right now. 
  • Options
    edited January 28
    I think the key to it was in Fleming's interview where he said Jones is someone who doubts himself. He's second guessing himself in key moments and it's costing us dearly atm. But it's not being helped by the management. Nobody on here thought he should've started last week and yet MA started him. I doubt anyone thought he should've came off the bench yesterday instead of REG slotting back, and yet they brought him off. Just leave him out. 
  • Options
    edited January 28
  • Options
    Still do not understand why when he first got the ball he did not pass back to AMB, he was facing our goal, or has he no confidence in his goalkeeper?
  • Options

The lack of clean sheets has gone from an annoyance to an epidemic, he’s lost his experienced partner and had a rotating array of dodgy defenders next to him, he’s had his side switched and then the formation. He’s been asked to be the wider defender who pushes out in a 3 when knowing when to go and when to stay is his big weakness and from there he’s struggled to recover. He’s also a defender who likes to step out and play a bit and those sorts of defenders are more susceptible to crises of confidence when it stops coming off - see John Stones at various points in his career. A mistake leads to a mistake leads to a mistake and now he looks shaky all the time. We saw this with Lavelle, he was never brilliant but his head dropped so badly he was freezing in the moments where he’d been good previously, not closing attackers down or throwing himself at shots. A bit of time out and then being in a more established and consistent defence that actually gets coached will help hopefully. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jones, Hector & Thomas are all squad players in a top six team, hopefully only one of them is still here next season and we mostly see whichever one it is in the Motors Trophy. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Still do not understand why when he first got the ball he did not pass back to AMB, he was facing our goal, or has he no confidence in his goalkeeper?
    There was a Blackpool player too close to AMB. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    ross1 said:
    Also watched what AMB did in the first half with Rhodes and probably had that in the back of his mind
  • Options
    Talal said:
    ross1 said:
    Have watched it again and you are right
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Talal said:
    ross1 said:
    Also watched what AMB did in the first half with Rhodes and probably had that in the back of his mind
    This is key .  They have no idea what he’s going to do .  Whether we stay up or not , we need a new number 1 goalkeeper next season .  
  • Options
    Talal said:
    ross1 said:
    Correct. If you watch the highlights you can only just see the player in the edge of the shot. 
    I did notice that there was quite  lot of booting the ball out of the penalty area into touch going on, perhaps more than normal. I imagine they’d been told to cut out the mistakes, and keep it simple. Felt a bit more sympathy for Jones after noticing the Blackpool player. 
  • Options
    I really think he has been overhyped at the start of the season, he was making a lot of errors early part, and wasn't always leading to goals.. And as fans we was to focused on Hector.. 

Seems a nice lad, but he is bottom half league one player!
  • Options
    Liverpool obviously saw something in him all those years ago, but that was then, he's now at or past his peak and frankly is a very average league one player at best.

I'm sure he's a nice lad but we really need too do much much better.