Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lloyd Jones signs on a two year deal

Comments

• Options
    AndyG said:
    Our defence annoyed me all afternoon Ness was constantly looking for the long ball and failing but if he had looked around 9 times out of 10 CBT was literally standing on his own but Ness continued trying to hit it long through the middle 
    7/10 times Asiimwe was also open on the other side. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Surprised by the amount of people who didn’t rate him yesterday. Thought he was good. And a country mile better than what’s come before him.
    Posting without opinion.

Would you say he was a country mile better than Inniss and Famewo were after they had played half a dozen games for us?

Because for 6 months they were "clearly" the best center halves in the league, when they were both injured ;-) 
    To be fair, when we first put them in together and went 5 games without conceding it felt like we'd never concede again. It started to go downhill when the partnership broke and the Gunter/Pratley nexus got to work. Was never the same after that, I think it killed off Gunter too.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Surprised by the amount of people who didn’t rate him yesterday. Thought he was good. And a country mile better than what’s come before him.
    Posting without opinion.

Would you say he was a country mile better than Inniss and Famewo were after they had played half a dozen games for us?

Because for 6 months they were "clearly" the best center halves in the league, when they were both injured ;-) 
    To be fair, when we first put them in together and went 5 games without conceding it felt like we'd never concede again. It started to go downhill when the partnership broke and the Gunter/Pratley nexus got to work. Was never the same after that, I think it killed off Gunter too.
    That's exactly what I mean, remember Kilkenny was the new Cullen after his first game last season.

I would give it more than 60 minutes against a bang average league 1 team before I decide if he is a "country mile" better than anyone. 
    This view should count both in terms of positivity and negativity about players. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Posting without opinion.

That's exactly what I mean, remember Kilkenny was the new Cullen after his first game last season.

I would give it more than 60 minutes against a bang average league 1 team before I decide if he is a "country mile" better than anyone. 
    Agreed. A 1-0 win over a toothless Orient is a decent start to the season, but hardly a sign that he's a massive step up over previous defenders. Do the same at Peterborough next Saturday, and I'll be impressed.
  • Options
    Best game in a Charlton shirt so far. Great moment in the second half where he stood up their onrushing attacker and nicked the ball away with a perfectly timed tackle.
    Agreed, thought he had a really good game.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Posting without opinion.

Forgive me for feeling a bit smug but he’s 100% better than anything we had last season and he’s only getting better every game.

One Cambridge fan said “Rolls Royce” when we signed him. And there were signs of that from him today.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Posting without opinion.

Forgive me for feeling a bit smug but he’s 100% better than anything we had last season and he’s only getting better every game.

One Cambridge fan said “Rolls Royce” when we signed him. And there were signs of that from him today.
    I think he has certainly improved in the last couple of games, and maybe that’s a confidence thing.

However I also think he’s looked decent all season for us, the problem was he was making a couple of killer mistakes and that’s what people will focus on (and rightly so).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    our top performer today
  • Options
    been a good signing 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I like him, did well today too.

Being super critical he could have done better with that header early on, but that’s not really his role in the team. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Posting without opinion.

Let's not get too carried away. Fairly sure people were saying quite similar things about Hector when he first appeared (and justifiably at the time) so let's just hold our horses on declaring our new CB messiah.

He's playing well right now yes but Hector had a purple patch, even Inniss had a brief period of looking like an absolute titan. 
  • Options
    Innis had several periods in between injuries and suspensions when he looked fantastic. I hope Jones run of form continues for a long time 
  • Options
    It was his best game so far & I had him as shading MOM, with little competition.
  • Options
    Innis had several periods in between injuries and suspensions when he looked fantastic. I hope Jones run of form continues for a long time 
    Might have been "several periods" because he had so many injuries and suspensions...
  • Options
    Our best defender, end of.
  • Options
    Tune
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Posting without opinion.

It's not that you were right or wrong, you made a conclusive judgement based on one game playing one of the worst teams in the league.

How many people said Famewo was "clearly the best center half in the league" and six months later were prepared to drive him home themselves?

All I am saying is people write off players after half a dozen games, and they shouldn't, it also works both ways and should take more than a dozen games before they are proclaimed the savour.

You have rightly been critical of people doing the former.
  • Options
    Has settled in very nicely and is looking very reliable. Was my MOTM at Shrewsbury and can see him being a top performer all season. If his work rate and urgency rubs off on Hector a bit, we will have a top drawer CB pairing. That said, other than a few wayward passes, Hector got some important and well timed blocks in too on Saturday.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Posting without opinion.

It's not that you were right or wrong, you made a conclusive judgement based on one game playing one of the worst teams in the league.

How many people said Famewo was "clearly the best center half in the league" and six months later were prepared to drive him home themselves?

All I am saying is people write off players after half a dozen games, and they shouldn't, it also works both ways and should take more than a dozen games before they are proclaimed the savour.

You have rightly been critical of people doing the former.
    Jones will need to spam a LOT of passes into the stands before I start comparing him to Famewo tbf
  • Options
    I felt very doubtful at the start but he's beginning to show what he's about. He looks a lot better than Lavelle & Innis. Good technically, strong, decent pace... Promising. 
  • Options
    I'd like to see a very good CB partner him. 
  • Options
    Yeah I can't make my mind up about him, I'd say he's better than Lavelle, Innis and probably O'Connell as well? 

He's not particularly great at anything though just seems solid, isn't as good as Innis in the air and isn't as good as O'Connell on the ball. Certainly the best defender we have though imo
  • Options
    What Jones is, is steady. In the positive sense, as he just does his job.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Saw this thread pop up, and dreaded opening it, thought he was going to be out injured for 6-8 weeks.