Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lloyd Jones signs on a two year deal

Comments

• Options
    I wish we had O’Connell to play with him 
  • Options
    Or failing that Joe Gomez 
  • Options
    Yeah I can't make my mind up about him, I'd say he's better than Lavelle, Innis and probably O'Connell as well? 

He's not particularly great at anything though just seems solid, isn't as good as Innis in the air and isn't as good as O'Connell on the ball. Certainly the best defender we have though imo
    I'd say that is probably his strength - he is a decent all round defender who isn't exceptional at any one thing but no glaring weaknesses either.

He's not as good as Inniss in the air - but he's much quicker to react/predict on the ground. He's not as good as O'Connell on the ball - but he's less likely to be shoved out of the way.

He's in the Solly/Young category of being that player who is always 7/10. Rarely stands out but also rarely makes absolute clangers either.
  • Options
    We are never a threat in the air on corners and free kicks. Would like to see more of that from our centre halfs. 
  • Options
    Hector is at least as good on the ball as EOC and considerably better when an attacker is running at him
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Hector is at least as good on the ball as EOC and considerably better when an attacker is running at him
    Hector would be one of the best in the division........if he could concentrate for the whole game and make fewer mistakes.

Jones hasn't made those errors. Thought he was excellent on Saurday. 
  • Options
    Hector is the new Naby Sarr.

Jones, I can't say I especially notice him a lot of the time, which isn't always a bad thing because it means he isn't making any rickets (something we can't say about Hector yet, unfortunately, despite slow improvement as the season has gone on). He did pretty well up against Bishop on Saturday. He sort of reminds me a bit of Matt Taylor in that way, just kind of unshowy but generally effective.

It's a bit of a tallest dwarf competition but he's been the best performer from our various defenders so far.

I'm not totally convinced by any of them yet, but I hope we can now pick a settled back four Watson, Hector, Jones, and Edun for 10 games or so and hopefully see some improvement from building understandings.
  • Options
    He is certainly improving and decent enough for a L1 promotion chasing team.
    Needs a better partner who really dominates and doesn't make mistakes. 
    Hector and Ness then make good 3/4th choice and Mitchell/Elerewe/Laqueretabua promising kids.  
  • Options
    Outside bet for POTY, been impressed 
  • Options
    Another we need to tie down for at least a further year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A player who does what it says on the tin, so to speak, so a thumbs up from me. We spend so much time talking about players who will be brilliant when they learn to concentrate/get fit/settle down/learn to play football etc that someone who walks in and looks at home is almost an outlier. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    He's been very good. He's got a bit of game smarts too, which is something I rate in a player. Took a yellow trying to bring down the Portsmouth attacker in the 97th minute when Pompey were breaking away.
  • Options
    He's been very good. He's got a bit of game smarts too, which is something I rate in a player. Took a yellow trying to bring down the Portsmouth attacker in the 97th minute when Pompey were breaking away.
    Except he didn't bring him down and got booked after the move broke down. Borderline red if he had connected. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    ed - I see someone else already made the same point above.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Except he didn't bring him down and got booked after the move broke down. Borderline red if he had connected. 
    Yes connecting would’ve been better but at least he was thinking quickly enough / cared enough to attempt it. That was my main point. I can’t remember the last time we had a player who was willing to put in a cynical foul AND it be the right decision to do so.

Would’ve been the harshest red card I’ve seen in a long time. Clearly a yellow card offence IMO.
  • Options
    Jones deserves a lot of credit for proving himself to be a very decent CB when the team (and club) was a shambles for much of his time here. He was extremely impressive against Pompey containing Bishop who looked anonymous apart from the penalty. 

Hector is a complete enigma. Superb for one minute, good distribution then completely inept for another. I wonder if he's not very fit and fades towards the end of games?  Or maybe has a little puff of weed at half time. He was really awful in the Bolton game at home but superb in the previous fixture. 
  • Options
    Top player at this level..
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Top player at this level..
    ..against Paper Mills!?
  • Options
    Our best c half we need another like him in January please 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Like him, deserves a proper partner alongside him. 
  • Options
    Comfortably our best defender, Hector ropey again tonight, might be time to try Ness and Jones again.
  • Options
    Hector is never fine. He's useless.
    Without Jones we'd be buggered.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Hector was fine? I like their partnership 
    Just seen the Players' Marks thread. Hector - 7 dominant
    Hilariious. You need to change your medication.
  • Options
    Hector has been awful this season. Should be one of the best defenders in the division. 
  • Options
    Hector was pony, again. Jones is turning out to be a very decent signing.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Hector has been awful this season. Should be one of the best defenders in the division. 
    He should not be awful. 
  • Options
    CB Parody account mode now!