Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just Stop Oil protestors.....

Comments

• Options
    Mrkinski said:
    I love my meat (insert joke here) but seriously considering trying to switch to plant based meat alternatives, as I’ve got to do something or my moaning about the damage we are doing is hypocritical. Does anyone have any products / plant based products websites they can recommend, if you’ve switched from meat products?
    It is not for everybody but if you’re inclined to cook, Quorn pieces and mince are good.
    Texture wise Quorn pieces are closer to meat type stuff much more than something slippery like tofu (although I highly recommend Lidl beech smoked tofu if you can get it, sadly last seen in veganuary).
    The thing about cooking with Quorn is the way it can pick up the flavours you add. Spices, sauces, herbs and associated stuff.
    Lots of non meat meat style products out there I don’t know which are the best, but beware there has been a rush to get any old stuff on the market and the quality and taste is variable.
    The spicy bean burgers Plant Pioneers from Sainsbury’s are decent, and compared with the manky ‘real’ sausages people buy, you can make a very good traditional sausage sandwich with some products, even the Linda McCartney ones, especially laced with ground black pepper and brown sauce that people put on a meat sausage sandwich anyway.
    There are of course lentils and beans that are excellent but take a bit of work.
    Simply eating veg can be good on it’s own. The new air fryer trend with veg well tarted up with paprika, or chilli flakes or whatever, air fried in a tiny bit of avocado oil can be delicious.
    If you get ready made pastry or puff pastry you can knock up an easy veg pie with a black pepper sauce inside.
    I was one of millions brought up on a variation of meat and two veg (potato of some kind being one of them!) which is quite a low effort meal,  so adapting away from that does take a bit of effort and experimenting.

I can almost hear the snorting and see the distain towards this post, but I believe that a non meat diet is certainly a way to help the environment of our planet, and especially a way that a humble individual person can contribute.
  • Options
    Tesco do excellent spicy bean burgers 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Mrkinski said:
    I love my meat (insert joke here) but seriously considering trying to switch to plant based meat alternatives, as I’ve got to do something or my moaning about the damage we are doing is hypocritical. Does anyone have any products / plant based products websites they can recommend, if you’ve switched from meat products?
    It is not for everybody but if you’re inclined to cook, Quorn pieces and mince are good.
    Texture wise Quorn pieces are closer to meat type stuff much more than something slippery like tofu (although I highly recommend Lidl beech smoked tofu if you can get it, sadly last seen in veganuary).
    The thing about cooking with Quorn is the way it can pick up the flavours you add. Spices, sauces, herbs and associated stuff.
    Lots of non meat meat style products out there I don’t know which are the best, but beware there has been a rush to get any old stuff on the market and the quality and taste is variable.
    The spicy bean burgers Plant Pioneers from Sainsbury’s are decent, and compared with the manky ‘real’ sausages people buy, you can make a very good traditional sausage sandwich with some products, even the Linda McCartney ones, especially laced with ground black pepper and brown sauce that people put on a meat sausage sandwich anyway.
    There are of course lentils and beans that are excellent but take a bit of work.
    Simply eating veg can be good on it’s own. The new air fryer trend with veg well tarted up with paprika, or chilli flakes or whatever, air fried in a tiny bit of avocado oil can be delicious.
    If you get ready made pastry or puff pastry you can knock up an easy veg pie with a black pepper sauce inside.
    I was one of millions brought up on a variation of meat and two veg (potato of some kind being one of them!) which is quite a low effort meal,  so adapting away from that does take a bit of effort and experimenting.

I can almost hear the snorting and see the distain towards this post, but I believe that a non meat diet is certainly a way to help the environment of our planet, and especially a way that a humble individual person can contribute.
    Thanks Seth, that’s useful.
  • Options
    Plenty of pointers here: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/zone/plant-based-and-vegetarian

(All supermarkets have decent meat free alternatives these days).

Also: https://www.beyondmeat.com/en-GB/

As Seth says, there are also a range of Quorn products: https://www.quorn.co.uk/

I gave up eating meat in 1989 when there were little or no meat alternatives (never been a fan of tofu). Nowadays there are so many options, the whole transition is much easier.

• Options
    Oh dear. How sad. Never mind.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    R0TW said:
    If that actually is oil, it could kill someone. Either way the fact the idiot slipped on it suggests it is indeed slippery. 

Not to mention the various ironies at play. 

Still though, what people who disagree with that don't realise is that the nazi big oil companies are committing genocide/a holocaust and turning the world into a big gas chamber etc, so anything can be excused :-)

Thought the water soluble paint thing is a lot smarter than blocking roads as well. 

• Options
    R0TW said:
    Funny that BUT along comes a car, skids on it and next thing someone is injured or killed. Totally irresponsible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2023
    If Nick Buckley is relying on JSO protesters to convince him of the overwhelming scientific evidence of climate change, I wouldn't put his IQ that much above that of the woman he's calling stupid.

Edit - at least she didn't fall off the edge of the Earth!
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Funny that BUT along comes a car, skids on it and next thing someone is injured or killed. Totally irresponsible.
    I agree. Are they JSO eco zealots though?  That clip isn't from here and although there are JSO equivalents abroad under the same umbrella organisation, for JSO to use that tactic goes against their stated policy of using non violent civil disruption. Perhaps the former Manchester Reform Party failed candidate didn't feel the need to point that out and was hoping people would think JSO were responsible.
  • Options
    Weird that you're focusing so much on the chap who posted the tweet rather than the actual content.

Still though, we are talking about Nick Buckley now though, so clearly his tactics are working!
  • Options
    Looks like in Netherlands maybe? 
  • Options
    Germany 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Let's talk about the clip. It's not taken in this country, features a couple of idiots pouring what looks like oil on the road. Who they are I have no idea, or even that they are 'eco' terrorists. Don't know who they represent either, but whatever that slippery substance is, it's not orange and JSO do not set out to deliberately cause injury to anyone being a non violent protest group? Do you think Mr Buckley bothered to find out who they were?

It was reported that the JSO 'quartermaster' was arrested the other day and I don't recall seeing oil listed as being found amongst the seized items of disruption confiscated!

Whilst on the subject of tactics I didn't agree with the throwing of confetti at someone on their wedding day, which again wasn't done by a known JSO activist, although probably by a sympathiser, and it was an act which they condoned. It was widely condemned on here and I agree it was out bang of order

So let me ask if was out of order for Charlton fans to serenade Roland in his home town on his 70th birthday outside a restaurant where he was dining with his family. Those protesters weren't labelled as scum on here. And should those who vandalized walls and painted anti Roland graffiti on them have been arrested and locked up as has been suggested was appropriate for those caught on camera spray painting that building?
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Let's talk about the clip. It's not taken in this country, features a couple of idiots pouring what looks like oil on the road. Who they are I have no idea, or even that they are 'eco' terrorists. Don't know who they represent either, but whatever that slippery substance is, it's not orange and JSO do not set out to deliberately cause injury to anyone being a non violent protest group? Do you think Mr Buckley bothered to find out who they were?

It was reported that the JSO 'quartermaster' was arrested the other day and I don't recall seeing oil listed as being found amongst the seized items of disruption confiscated!

Whilst on the subject of tactics I didn't agree with the throwing of confetti at someone on their wedding day, which again wasn't done by a known JSO activist, although probably by a sympathiser, and it was an act which they condoned. It was widely condemned on here and I agree it was out bang of order

So let me ask if was out of order for Charlton fans to serenade Roland in his home town on his 70th birthday outside a restaurant where he was dining with his family. Those protesters weren't labelled as scum on here. And should those who vandalized walls and painted anti Roland graffiti on them have been arrested and locked up as has been suggested was appropriate for those caught on camera spray painting that building?
    Where did anyone claim it was JSO?...
  • Options
    Aaanyway....

Quite sad that despite all of this great information coming out from JSO, and all the educating they're doing by stopping people going about their daily tasks, it looks like both major parties are looking like rowing back on their "green" policies.

I really think this is a shame, I really do. I just don't think these protestors have done anything to move the debate on, or you'd assume this wouldn't be happening...
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Huskaris said:
    swordfish said:

Where did anyone claim it was JSO?...
    Said no one, but it was posted here and it is claimed  to be 'eco' terrorism to smear them. We don't know that? Is that an assumption being made just because they were seeking to injure using oil? Suppose it had been banana skins being used?

Look, for all I know it is an act of eco related terrorism, but it's not clear what the motive is and JSO get bad enough press for their disruptive actions as it is without being credited for terrorist acts, even if no one believes they were responsible in this instance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    swordfish said:
    JSO do not set out to deliberately cause injury to anyone being a non violent protest group
    They know full well their actions do cause harm to others and continue anyway.

There might be an argument that the damage is worth it for their cause, but let’s not pretend they are completely innocent and unaware of the harm they cause. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Huskaris said:
    Aaanyway....

Quite sad that despite all of this great information coming out from JSO, and all the educating they're doing by stopping people going about their daily tasks, it looks like both major parties are looking like rowing back on their "green" policies.

I really think this is a shame, I really do. I just don't think these protestors have done anything to move the debate on, or you'd assume this wouldn't be happening...
    The major parties don't see green issues as a vote winner. Just look how few the Greens poll.

If JSO held a mass climate change protest march against the Government in London, a less controversial tactic, my guess is less would attend than did the ones trying to persuade the Govt not to leave the EU, the difference being one of immediate concern and impact, the existential threat something to worry about at a more convenient time.

JSO and other protest groups have had an impact on the Government though as we now have the 2023 Public Order Act in place to restrict their actions. Not quite what they intended, but will anything they do really make a difference if the general public aren't engaged.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Huskaris said:
    Aaanyway....

The major parties don't see green issues as a vote winner. Just look how few the Greens poll.

If JSO held a mass climate change protest march against the Government in London, a less controversial tactic, my guess is less would attend than did the ones trying to persuade the Govt not to leave the EU, the difference being one of immediate concern and impact, the existential threat something to worry about at a more convenient time.

JSO and other protest groups have had an impact on the Government though as we now have the 2023 Public Order Act in place to restrict their actions. Not quite what they intended, but will anything they do really make a difference if the general public aren't engaged.
    Yeah I thought that this was some far right fascist takedown of people's right to protest, when's that law coming in then....?

Aside from that, there's elections coming up next year, and they will have a chance to put their point across then. You can't just berate a nation into doing what you want. 

I know democracy is unpopular with a lot of people on here but the best way to resolve this is through the ballot box. That's winning hearts and minds and actually winning the argument, rather than some of the quite unhinged people (as well as some who seem more generally with it) doing stupid things to get attention.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    swordfish said:
    JSO do not set out to deliberately cause injury to anyone being a non violent protest group
    They know full well their actions do cause harm to others and continue anyway.

There might be an argument that the damage is worth it for their cause, but let’s not pretend they are completely innocent and unaware of the harm they cause. 
    True,  but I don't consider walking slowly in the road an act of terrorism, unlike what was witnessed in that clip with those two morons pouring oil on the road to cause accidents.

Edit - interesting that when a JSO road walker was assaulted, his colleagues were critised by some on here for not retaliating.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Huskaris said:
    swordfish said:
    Huskaris said:
    Aaanyway....

Yeah I thought that this was some far right fascist takedown of people's right to protest, when's that law coming in then....?

Aside from that, there's elections coming up next year, and they will have a chance to put their point across then. You can't just berate a nation into doing what you want. 

I know democracy is unpopular with a lot of people on here but the best way to resolve this is through the ballot box. That's winning hearts and minds and actually winning the argument, rather than some of the quite unhinged people (as well as some who seem more generally with it) doing stupid things to get attention.
    It came into force the day before the coronation.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Huskaris said:
    swordfish said:
    Huskaris said:
    Aaanyway....

Ah, strange, I thought this was going to be the death of protest, been a fair few since then though...
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Huskaris said:
    swordfish said:
    Huskaris said:
    swordfish said:
    Huskaris said:
    Aaanyway....

Ah, strange, I thought this was going to be the death of protest, been a fair few since then though...
    No, just an extension of police powers to tackle some of the things that Extinction Rebellion and others had been doing, "locking on" and "tunnelling" and "blockading" I think, which previously oil companies had used private injunctions to prosecute perpetrators. I don't believe I offered a view on it, but it's the only obvious effect that the protests have had on the Government!

• Options

Nothing to see here. While both Labour and the Conservatives ditch policies that would help. 

Walking blind into oblivion. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    When there is a realisation across the country that something needs to change, but a million people vote that way and only get one MP, the ballot box argument loses it’s potency.
    Arguably it is one in 40 people who bother to vote (Green) but it gets them very little in return.
    (see also UKIP)
    To add spice that destructive Farage was invited to tell his lies across loads of media outlets over and over again where Caroline Lucas hardly got a platform to tell the truth.

What puts people of voting for the Green Party is some of the other batshit stuff that they believe in. If they just stuck to environmental policies, that would be fine, but they also espouse the kind of batshit beliefs that you would expect from members of the Students Union.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!