Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Millwall vs Charlton Athletic Pre-Season Friendly 25/7/2023 Match (& post p14) Thread

Comments

• Options
    They didn't show it again but it looked a penalty for a foul on Kirk in the first half.
  • Options
    Thoroughly enjoyable game. We played really well for an hour.

Just one disappointment for me - Harry Istead. Can only hope it was just a bad day at the office for him. His playing out from the back in the first half consisted of a series of suicide balls to his defenders. DH obviously told him to stop as in the second half I don't think he tried it once. And he didn't impress with his shot stopping either.

That settles who starts in goal for me - step forward A M-B.
  • Options
    I came to the realisation a long time ago that as long as I’ve got a hole in my arse, we won’t beat Millwall.
    I’ve got a tactic for beating Millwall, it involves a stoma and stitching up your prison pocket
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Didn't watch, and yes its a friendly, but I am a smidge pissed off we didn't win that. Never mind.
  • Options

Just one disappointment for me - Harry Istead. Can only hope it was just a bad day at the office for him. His playing out from the back in the first half consisted of a series of suicide balls to his defenders. DH obviously told him to stop as in the second half I don't think he tried it once. And he didn't impress with his shot stopping either.

You'll start an injured goalie?
  • Options
    Well the station is fun after the game!! 
    safe travels.
  • Options
    A shame we switched formation as we look really fluid in that 3-5-2 or 3-1-4-1-1 Youngsters were magnificent tonight and I hope my bubble isn’t royally burst when the season starts, because I am sensing us having a real go. Movement of Alfie May, running and touch also very good 👏👏 
  • Options
    mendonca said:

You'll start an injured goalie?
    Minor back spasm. He'll be fine. (Although I have a feeling I said something similar about Aneke!) 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I wasn't there but knew we wouldn't win whatever happens.

I remember in the late 80's at the Old Den being 2-0 up with 10 mins to go only to draw 2-2.

Then at home after relegation from the Premier League against 10 men & going into injury time 4-3 ahead only for them to equalise.

And then 4 years ago. 1-1 going into injury time & guess what.....a last minute defeat when we cant defend a corner.

We will never beat them. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was a bit sceptical, but it actually worked as a late preseason match for both sides, as the extra edge of being a local derby turned it into more than just a training ground match, and with a week and half to go, both sides would have benefited from the extra effort required tonight, as opposed to if we had played QPR and Millwall had played Peterborough.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Was a bit worried about the keeper's ability to smell the danger when playing it out. We were competing well, May especially well, with the long punts so whilst I don't want us playing like that as a default, sometimes you have to. Maybe 5 or 6 times in a game.
  • Options
    If Millwall fans think they have reason to be as happy as we are with tonight's performances, they need their bumps felt. We will be taking our game to the likes of Cheltenham and Shrewsbury. And we had a fair few probable starters missing.
  • Options
    This game was much more useful than seeing a non league lump try to break your forward's ankle.
  • Options
    433 opened up the game for Millwall but Campbell on the edge of their box time to cross the ball fir some reason passes it back , loses the ball next thing it’s in our goal and their back in it  … that the stupid individual error we have to cut out 
  • Options
    Well the station is fun after the game!! 
    safe travels.
    Pretty poorly managed at South Bermondsey to be fair and London Bridge was chaos 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally thought Assimwe has been found out a few times tonight defensively.
    Definitely, Deji has had to come across plenty of times. Wandered out of position a lot for me and seemed a bit slow to receive passes. 
    Also bloody awful at passing. He goes the ball away so much. Thought he also did not know what to do when he recieved and made runs into dead ends.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    mendonca said:
    This game was much more useful than seeing a non league lump try to break your forward's ankle.
    I agree with that. I know Holden has said differently and he knows more than me but I think the first two friendlies could have been avoided and we played a Charlton side against a Charlton side. Both being better than the opponents. We lost Leaburn because he mugged off a non league lump and he decided to go through him......in a friendly. Then the way Dartford players were lunging in, we were fortunate to avoid any serious injuries.

I suspect Hoden was being diplomatic and it will be interesting to see if we play these games next pre season.
  • Options
    If Millwall fans think they have reason to be as happy as we are with tonight's performances, they need their bumps felt. We will be taking our game to the likes of Cheltenham and Shrewsbury. And we had a fair few probable starters missing.
    Said exactly the same to a couple of Millwall mates, we were missing 5 nailed on starters and they didn’t lay a glove on us in the first half 
  • Options
    With Taylor, allegedly, and Edun coming in, and expecting a forward to arrive, I'm struggling to name a starting line up for Orient. The midfield of Fraser, Camara and Dobson seems nailed on but who else, Mcgrandles, when he came on, CBT, Anderson and Asiimwe were excellent, add the incoming Taylor, Campbell and  Henry to that list and if we play a midfield five with two up top then we surely must be looking at a couple of loans out from that ten. 
  • Options
    So, what’s the consensus on Isted, good, bad, indifferent?
  • Options
    jury out so far 
  • Options
    I started with an open mind but both being fit, I am leaning towards AMB. Early days though.
  • Options
    Good 
  • Options
    Negatives from the game. We gave the hall away far to often. Both their goals came from us giving the ball away in their box. Then 4 passes later they score.
    Tyrell Thomas not as good as many think. He is to accident prone and not aware of the situation around him poor passing. Mitchell struggled against the pace of the guy on their left and let him cut inside all the time. Kanu not ready for intense first team football. Asimwe was struggling to get into the game and knocked off the ball to easily. Anderson other than the goL I believe he scored was lost with what to do and so made panick passes that usury ended up with the Mikkwall players.
    It was lucky they were not up for itvin the f
    irst half. Second half showed the depth of their squad and our lack of depth.