Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holden sacked?! (Ed. Yes - Confirmed)

Comments

• Options
    BigDiddy said:

- Dean Holden was apparently recommended to TS by the current SMT. Effectively their choice, 8 months ago.

- He inherited a crap squad that was in chaos. Remember the Stockport cup humiliation?

- Admittedly the delay to the takeover completion didn't help to make a smooth well-planned pre-season.

- He has ONE fit senior striker. ONE! 

- As of a week ago he had 10 -TEN - injured players. 

- He has had to play two debutant 18 year olds in every game, for the simple reason that there were no better choices.

- He was told that he cannot bring more players in if he keeps picking the trash (Kirk, DJ , McG). Yes, I have a source for that. None of the trash was on the bench on Saturday.

So yeah, the "solution" to a poor start is to sack a manager you gave a three year contract to in March with a week to go of the window and irons supposedly in the fire, especially a striker. 

As I've been saying for nigh on 30 years since I got involved in management recruitment: any idiot can sack someone. The difficult bit is getting in someone "better", especially if you keep being the same idiot each year or less.

"Someone challenge me on that?" © Charles Harry Finlayson Methven

Eton-educated Charlton director claiming southern fans 'don't understand business'

Did Gobby Methven say that about us?

If so what a, C**T.

No, he said that about northerners when he was at Sunderland.
  • Options
    Holden lost the plot on Saturday.   Picking Deji and Ness to start, playing Edun as a quasi central midfielder, having our only fit striker taking long throw ins with only one player back in defense.  With that being said, you don’t sack any manager no matter how poor with a week to go in the transfer window.  You are almost guaranteeing that you will only get mediocre loans in.  If you have concerns about Holden, you give him another 4 weeks or so after the window closes, with any new players, potentially Leaburn and Kamara back and if he continues to fail, then sack him with a potential replacement close to being lined up.  
  • Options
    How do you sell the club to a Premier League team if you want one of their players? The answer has to be that you can't.
  • Options
    Can't wait for Bowyer to bully and belittle a bunch of youngsters again, can't wait!
  • Options
    Its a bit like Sandgaard in that we hear tonnes from Methven until they have taken over the club then it all goes quiet.
  • Options
    Karl Robinson is on talksport this morning, wonder if he will get asked about the situation?
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Nathan Jones would be a good option, and is available!
    Is that what you have been told?
    No - not spoke to my contact for a while! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I would like to know which exact individual texted Dean Holden to sack him.
    It would be an indication as to where the real power in the club lies, and also an indication as to who is a complete **** for choosing to or agreeing to do it that way.
    If that is true, extremely poor! 
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    My main concern with Nathan Jones, (not that I think he would go down to league 1 anyway) is that the moment a better club comes along, no matter how well we are doing or where we are in the season l, he will be off. He did it to Luton, twice. 
    He’d have to have been doing a good job to warrant getting another offer though…
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Redhenry said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Nathan Jones would be a good option, and is available!
    Is that what you have been told?
    No - not spoke to my contact for a while! 
    Fancy getting on the phone?!
  • Options
    If we are all throwing in names we would like to be our manager could I chuck in Graham Potter please.

(No need to comment on the chance).
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    It would be an indication as to where the real power in the club lies, and also an indication as to who is a complete **** for choosing to or agreeing to do it that way.
    Not sure the person who texted would necessarily have the real power - but would agree with your second part of the sentence.

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    If we are all throwing in names we would like to be our manager could I chuck in Graham Potter please.

Did he get a huge payoff from Chelski?

Maybe he would come for the challenge !

Worth a shout.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Redrobo said:

Worth a shout.

The only challenge he now faces is how he's going to spend all of his money.

Not a cat in hell's chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Redrobo said:

Worth a shout.

The only challenge he now faces is how he's going to spend all of his money.

Not a cat in hell's chance.
    I did say there was no need to comment on the chance!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    Not sure the person who texted would necessarily have the real power - but would agree with your second part of the sentence.

I think that's kind of the point. If we know who gets given that kind of job to do, it might be clearer as to who are the organ grinders and who are the monkeys - because the real operators will be giving that job to the scapegoats.
  • Options
    follett said:
    To give Hayes credit, one of the only games in recent seasons we can be proud of was when he took charge against De Zerbi's Brighton. Hayes had Richard Chin marking Mitoma out the game, genius
    Don’t forget Stockport
  • Options
    We can all fantasise about experienced, successful managers being appointed but my money is on it being a cheap option, like Holden and then sacked in 20 odd games time.
  • Options
    Well this the chance to find out what our new owners intention are by who we get in
    Going to be interesting to see how much they want to take us up
     they need to put some real money into getting the right man if they don't & go for another one on the cheap we will know where we stand with this lot

• Options
    We can all fantasise about experienced, successful managers being appointed but my money is on it being a cheap option, like Holden and then sacked in 20 odd games time.
    Nobody is fantasising, just keeping an open mind.
    The pessimists may be proven correct but we know diddly squat about the conversations going on right now among the owners (or at least those given the power to make the decision) or the budget they have at their disposal.
    As I said above, Holden's original appointment may have been at their instigation but (given TS still owned the club and the takeover was far from done) it doesn't mean he was there #1 choice or that his CV or contract establishes a benchmark for their first appointment as outright owners.
    Obviously it also depends upon whom they can attract.
    We'll find out soon enough.