Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holden sacked?! (Ed. Yes - Confirmed)

Comments

• Options
    Think people are just living off the past once again with regards to wanting Lee bowyer back, the bloke had Cullen Aribo and bielik in midfield alongside Lyle Taylor.
    He also improved the performances the previous season, without any of those players other than a young Aribo.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Gribbo said:
    Can never understand sackin a manager without their replacement already lined up, snd having to use a caretaker manager

Unless there was a fall out last night?
    My guess is there’s been a fall out brewing for some time. No manager would be happy going into a season as unsupported as Holden was., given the circumstances. 

My hunch is him and Scott have been at loggerheads all summer and there’s been an undercurrent over the last few weeks and inevitably about all this. 
    We have a winner here, would be my take.
    I think there might well have been a friction and perhaps Holden picked that team v Oxford to make a point that he desperately needed reinforcements. Perhaps Rodwell, Scott or whomever is calling the shots didn’t much like it and thought fuck you, you’re out. 
    This rings true.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Off_it said:
    Gribbo said:
    Can never understand sackin a manager without their replacement already lined up, snd having to use a caretaker manager

Unless there was a fall out last night?
    My guess is there’s been a fall out brewing for some time. No manager would be happy going into a season as unsupported as Holden was., given the circumstances. 

My hunch is him and Scott have been at loggerheads all summer and there’s been an undercurrent over the last few weeks and inevitably about all this. 
    We have a winner here, would be my take.
    I think there might well have been a friction and perhaps Holden picked that team v Oxford to make a point that he desperately needed reinforcements. Perhaps Rodwell, Scott or whomever is calling the shots didn’t much like it and thought fuck you, you’re out. 
    This rings true.
    When I saw the line-up v Oxford I came to the same conclusion 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just to add I wanted Holden to stay and for once avoid the continual upheaval when we sack a manager with the logical pay offs from a club which doesn't have a huge amount of money to buy players. But..... I also think we've seen some pretty odd decisions regarding the line up (saturday was really like tying a sign to your arse saying 'kick me hard') and there is a lack of real leadership on the pitch, as well as some farsical stuff every game. So while this is another chance to show the football world that Charlton isn't a wll run club any more, there are reasons to accept the departure, and I wish Dean Holden all the best at his next club.

As for Charlton going forward, we have an incomplete squad and no manager and we are in the last week of the transfer window. And by all accounts, we are the first EFL team to sack a manager this season - yay! To make this decision work, we need an upgrade. Someone like Moore with a proven track record. NOT another internal promotion to save a few quid, or a cheap alternative. And really, it needs to be done quickly, as does some transfer business. If we don't bother getting a good manager with a proven CV, and strengthen the squad to make us competetive, the money paid out to Holden is just a pure waste and we'd have done better to let him continue. It's all very well being a decisive owner getting someone out of a job to improve performance, but now the emphasis is on the owners to make a better choice, while dealing with a closing transfer window. For the many who doubt whether the owners are serious about taking us further as a football club, the owners have now given themselves the chance to show exactly how serious their claims are.
    Gobby Methven owns 5% and he has only spoken a few times.

The other 95% ownership is silent, assuming they know where Charlton is.

My prediction is Methven will appoint a cheap, unproven, YES man or a desperate old timer on his way down.

The owners have made no claims, unless I missed it?
  • Options
    Anyone quoting bookies favourites is wasting their time. It’s such a small market I could go and stick £20 on Richard Rufus and he would instantly shoot to the top of the odds.
    With Fleetwood up next it shall be called the Prison derby!
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Pardew could do a job
    Good shout - with Dowie and Bob Peeters as his assistants and Guy Luzon and Ben Garner as their deputies.

• Options

- Dean Holden was apparently recommended to TS by the current SMT. Effectively their choice, 8 months ago.

- He inherited a crap squad that was in chaos. Remember the Stockport cup humiliation?

- Admittedly the delay to the takeover completion didn't help to make a smooth well-planned pre-season.

- He has ONE fit senior striker. ONE! 

- As of a week ago he had 10 -TEN - injured players. 

- He has had to play two debutant 18 year olds in every game, for the simple reason that there were no better choices.

- He was told that he cannot bring more players in if he keeps picking the trash (Kirk, DJ , McG). Yes, I have a source for that. None of the trash was on the bench on Saturday.

So yeah, the "solution" to a poor start is to sack a manager you gave a three year contract to in March with a week to go of the window and irons supposedly in the fire, especially a striker. 

As I've been saying for nigh on 30 years since I got involved in management recruitment: any idiot can sack someone. The difficult bit is getting in someone "better", especially if you keep being the same idiot each year or less.

"Someone challenge me on that?" © Charles Harry Finlayson Methven

Eton-educated Charlton director claiming southern fans 'don't understand business'

Did Gobby Methven say that about us?

If so what a, C**T.

• Options
    Would like wilder don’t think we would get him though 
    Nathan Jones is a good shout 
    Powell is the sort we need right now was a bit negative tactically in the championship especially. Which is probably what we need most at the moment 
    would have bowyer back to but can’t see that happening. 

• Options
    Sacked over text…classy 
  • Options
    Even after sleeping on the Holden news, I’m still unclear as to how I feel about it. 

Timing wise, a week before the window shuts is terrible, plus Holden came across as a really nice guy. 

But… he has to take some responsibility for our worst start in years in a really poor division. Even with the players we have and the injuries, we had enough to get a point or 2 at home to Bristol Rovers and Port Vale. 

I watched the post match summary on Charlton TV after the Oxford game, Scott, Brownie and Curbs were all scathing of the team line-up, tactics (e.g Alfie May’s long throw) and the basic errors that were not being addressed on the training ground - that all sits with Holden.

Supporting CAFC really is a rollercoaster! 
    We are the ladybird of rollercoasters
  • Options
    From what I've seen and as you'd probably expect, the wider media are reporting this latest episode as:
    New ownership arrive late July. Give the current, previously appointed manager a chance. After a month of giving him that chance decide he's not up to it and sack him.

They  have no clue that the current band of merry men appointed him in the first place months and months ago. 
    Methven really mugging Holden off whilst also giving his 'New' ownership credibility for making quick and decisive decisions!!

Sounds about right
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Would like wilder don’t think we would get him though 
    Nathan Jones is a good shout 
    Powell is the sort we need right now was a bit negative tactically in the championship especially. Which is probably what we need most at the moment 
    would have bowyer back to but can’t see that happening. 

Nooooooooooooo!
    Think people need to listen to Bob, if he says nooooooooooooo then it’s for a number of very good reasons and he should know after all.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Next Permanent Charlton Manager Betting & Odds | BetVictor

Right down the bottom, Graham Alexander .. yes please
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Nathan Jones would be a good option, and is available!
    Is that what you have been told?
  • Options
    I would like to know which exact individual texted Dean Holden to sack him.
    It would be an indication as to where the real power in the club lies, and also an indication as to who is a complete **** for choosing to or agreeing to do it that way.