Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holden sacked?! (Ed. Yes - Confirmed)

Comments

• Options
    Is it true they were sacked by carrier pigeon?
  • Options
    If we could get Moore or Wilder would be over the moon, but cant awe them dropping this low
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:

Do we have to keep going over the same old crap … CM had no say in this he not making them decisions .. this come from high down to Andy Scott and Rodwell … New manager will be decided by Andy Scott and Peter Storrie who is still at the club till Friday 

If you believe that, good luck.

CM is the chief architect of this takeover and what is following.

No manager, no time left in the window, no squad, no hope.

Pearce and Hayes will do their best.

Are you confident in the new ownership and SMT?
    So Methven has the same control Sandgaard had and is running the show with everyone else involved his puppets. It's  all on him alone is what you're saying.
    Absolutely. 

They will be taking money out in wages and expenses. The yanks will probably underwrite some costs but the club will be losing money unless someone pumps in equity/cash.

Unless we see something of real substance from CM about funding the club, I reckon they will be punting it for sale again, probably around Xmas.

• Options
    bellz2002 said:
    Based on what Darren Moore said about leaving Sheff Weds, they parted ways due to not agreeing on transfer targets and improving squad. So can't see him working here when he won't have control and is likely to be told to keep squad as is.
    they also didn’t want to pay him 
  • Options
    Yes the squad has issues to be addressed but no way with the players available should we have lost five on the spin. I liked Dean as a person but I just don’t think he cuts it as a manager. Saturday was a clusterfuck from the time the team was selected, gawd knows what he was thinking of. I think the right decision has been made. I just hope there is a plan in place to get us out of this mess.
    Apart from dobbo and may who else gets in promotion chasing teams in our division from our current squad of shite
  • Options
    Yes the squad has issues to be addressed but no way with the players available should we have lost five on the spin. I liked Dean as a person but I just don’t think he cuts it as a manager. Saturday was a clusterfuck from the time the team was selected, gawd knows what he was thinking of. I think the right decision has been made. I just hope there is a plan in place to get us out of this mess.
    Apart from dobbo and may who else gets in promotion chasing teams in our division from our current squad of shite
    Jury out on May.  Dobbo would get in most sides and CBT would get in most squads as an impact player .  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Robinson the bookies favourite 
  • Options
    mr.se7 said:
    cafc_se7 said:
    I thought it was really strange yesterday that there was no pre match interview with DH. Could it be that he already knew?
    But there was??
    Not on Charlton TV app there wasn’t? 
  • Options
    Who is Jimmy Stone?  why does he know more than others?
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Jury out on May.  Dobbo would get in most sides and CBT would get in most squads as an impact player .  

The two players who will link with May the best is Leaburn and Fraser. Alfie is innocent OK.
  • Options
    Either a smart move by Methven and co to get him out now based on what they’ve seen and having no confidence, or, this coupled with rumours like the one that a sponsor had to pay for May, implies we’ve got another bunch of absolute twats running out club.  At the moment, Methven and his group of investors have zero credit in the bank, so for me, it’s the latter and I’m incredibly suspicious now of just what a crap show might now be about to embark on the club.

Hope I’m proved wrong and they’ve got someone lined up to come in, and are going to be making at least 3/4 decent signings before the window finishes.  Anything else and this season will be like the last 2 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    "April is the Cruellest Month" ?

Definitely August in the Wasteland of Charlton Athletic.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Who is Jimmy Stone?  why does he know more than others?
    Long term fan, former part of the commuications team, believe he was one of Rick's team when Rick was comms supremo. Subsequently worked at West Ham and possibly FL or other footballing authority.
  • Options
    Anyone quoting bookies favourites is wasting their time. It’s such a small market I could go and stick £20 on Richard Rufus and he would instantly shoot to the top of the odds.
    Perhaps you ought to post this on the new manager thread😀
  • Options
    I'd get the manager of Lincoln City, and tell hime to bring his defence  with him . They have half the wage bill we do and finished last season conceeding as few as the top 6 ( 19 less than us).
    And I don't know who he is either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Recruitment has not been good enough. That is not on Holden and it didn’t make his job any easier. 

However, in my opinion, pre-season was a bit shambolic. Lots of players have started the season looking unfit and unready. Tactically we look a bit all over the place and the team is not well drilled or organized. None of the problems of last season have been fixed, or look close to being fixed and some of the things that were, supposedly, being specifically targeted for improvement have got no better at all. All those things, I think, can be laid at the door of Holden. 

I feel for him, though. He’s clearly a very decent, well intentioned chap, who I suspect has been well and truly stitched up but the new regime. However, from day one he seemed to be more about motivation and emotion, which can help get you to success, but without some substance in the form of tactics and player improvement it will ultimately fail when the novelty wears off. When I saw a video of the squad in Spain lying on a beach doing breathing exercises it gave me flash backs to Adkins and looked like the sort of thing that players will put up with when we’re winning but can quickly become something to be mocked and that lose you a dressing room when results turn. Sadly for Holden, we never really started winning. 

I’d have liked him to succeed but he’s never convinced me he was likely to. 

However, him being sacked raises all sorts of red flags about the new ownership/management of the club. He was “their man” after all and the backing they’ve given him is not even paper thin. What a shitty way to treat a person. And it puts us another step (on top of the inadequate recruitment) down the path to repeating all the same mistakes AGAIN.

I hope Holden finds something fulfilling away from the vipers nest of football. I think he deserves it and his good nature is probably better suited to a less poisonous industry. 

Personally, I feel on the verge of giving up on it as well. There’s precious little left to enjoy about Charlton these days and what’s the point of this if you can’t find any enjoyment in it anymore?
    Saved me writing what I think as you’ve nailed it. 
    Me too.

Excellent post @Exiled_Addick

I will just add that how anyone thinks changing managers every 7 or 8 months is a good idea is beyond me. The new guy, whoever he is, will inherit players he doesnt want and the mad merry-go-round of players we have had over recent years will just go on.

We are becoming - if not already - a laughing stock. Only one man for me to stabilise things - step forward Chris Powell. But then I also hope he doesn't as working for these jokers will only ruin his reputation I fear.
  • Options
    One win and 4 losses by 1 goal in the League. 
    Small margins but in a results business and  snatching a defeat from the jaws of victory against lowly Newport and the bar of soap which is the Charlton athletic managers job hits the ground again.
    That's lifebuoy.
  • Options
    no surprise, the issue of course IS IS IS .. who's next , Baba O'Riley ?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I feel sorry for Holden. It's not been great, but he's not been supported. Getting shot of him at such ridiculously short notice looks like madness.
    I feel sorry for the coaches. TBH, I don't think they were much cop. But it looks like they've been victims of the Peter Principle. I hope that they get new jobs soon and that we get better quality replacements.
    Do you know who I feel most sorry for, though? Me* ...and you, and anyone else who supports Charlton Athletic. Unless they have a new manager lined up who already has new players lined up, we're going to be stuck with someone who'll face exactly the same problems that Holden did and they won't be able to do anything about it until the new year. What a joke this club is. I'm sick of it.

*Joke pinched form Johnny Vegas
    I'm quite conflated about this particular sacking. Normally I'm in the "give them time to get their own squad and style together" camp...and not down with the constant churn of personnel that clubs like Watford get a reputation for. (We're obviously well into that category by now) 

But, as nice a bloke as Holden seems, I never really believed that he was going to be The One to break the cycle of doom and decline that surrounds our club. Much as I might have wanted to be proven wrong.

That being the case, and with time running out to sort out the obvious gaps in the squad, decide on our best 11/set up and shore up our powderpuff fragilities and confidence, I think he had to go. This next few days, and Holden's replacement, will tell us everything we need to know about the direction we're going in.

Could not agree more about it be us deserving of a break! I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a club of our history, size and potential to be at least competitive in the 3rd tier of football, yet we're staring down the barrel of another season of mediocrity...and that's being kind.