Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holden sacked?! (Ed. Yes - Confirmed)

Comments

• Options

Of that list only Pearce, it has worked before, and Moore interest me. The others (in my view) come with some form of baggage, be it football ethos or personality traits.
  • Options
    Just feels like another trip on the merry-go-round. Feel completely jaded by it all and wonder if midtable League 1 is all it's going to be now. Can't see the investment needed to fix this squad coming and wonder if no manager will actually affect things more on the transfer front. 

Holden seemed like a lovely guy and I wish him all the best for the future but tactically he was found wanting. 
  • Options
    Recruitment has not been good enough. That is not on Holden and it didn’t make his job any easier. 

However, in my opinion, pre-season was a bit shambolic. Lots of players have started the season looking unfit and unready. Tactically we look a bit all over the place and the team is not well drilled or organized. None of the problems of last season have been fixed, or look close to being fixed and some of the things that were, supposedly, being specifically targeted for improvement have got no better at all. All those things, I think, can be laid at the door of Holden. 

I feel for him, though. He’s clearly a very decent, well intentioned chap, who I suspect has been well and truly stitched up but the new regime. However, from day one he seemed to be more about motivation and emotion, which can help get you to success, but without some substance in the form of tactics and player improvement it will ultimately fail when the novelty wears off. When I saw a video of the squad in Spain lying on a beach doing breathing exercises it gave me flash backs to Adkins and looked like the sort of thing that players will put up with when we’re winning but can quickly become something to be mocked and that lose you a dressing room when results turn. Sadly for Holden, we never really started winning. 

I’d have liked him to succeed but he’s never convinced me he was likely to. 

However, him being sacked raises all sorts of red flags about the new ownership/management of the club. He was “their man” after all and the backing they’ve given him is not even paper thin. What a shitty way to treat a person. And it puts us another step (on top of the inadequate recruitment) down the path to repeating all the same mistakes AGAIN.

I hope Holden finds something fulfilling away from the vipers nest of football. I think he deserves it and his good nature is probably better suited to a less poisonous industry. 

Personally, I feel on the verge of giving up on it as well. There’s precious little left to enjoy about Charlton these days and what’s the point of this if you can’t find any enjoyment in it anymore?
    Saved me writing what I think as you’ve nailed it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Earlier than I predicted, but this is part of the Gobby Methven playbook.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    meldrew66 said:
    We are 4/5 with Skybet to finish in the top half. Do I go for it or not?
      I’ll give you the benefit of my experience over the last 65 years. Never bet on Charlton because unlike Steve Brown, they will nearly always let you down 😏.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    It WONT be Lee Johnson
    Do you have any clue who it is then? Or just that he's been definitively ruled out?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I feel for Dean. I think he got dealt a bad hand and hasn't got the support he needed with key players out. Has he made mistakes, almost certainly, he is human and trying to chart his way around the problems of not having key players in key positions and I think he would have got there but now we will never know. A critic may say he lacked pragmatism in that the players available should dictate the system you play, whatever it is, and it may be a fair point. It is hard to legislate for kamikase mistakes and Dean probably thought we had enough to still play the way we did. So did I. The instability may make it harder to bring the players in we need, including Premier League loans.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    It WONT be Lee Johnson

This is a major relief. Was very worried he'd be the obvious move having just become available and obviously Methven links. 
  • Options
    agim said:
    I just want a no nonsense manager that says it how it is and will organise us into something that resembles a football team. FYI I thought Holden was this guy but I was clearly wrong. 

I'm not putting these results on the new owners for two reasons:

1) Fitness. That is 100% down to the coaching team. If we sign a un-fit Lloyd Jones on 30th June by 30th August he should be fit!

2) Organisation. Again 100% down to the coaching team. To chop and change personal and formation so much within the first month of the season just shows me he didn't know his best team or formation.

To see we had a bad window is nonsense. Yes we need more but I'm telling you now as much as I don't like him if you gave Steve Evans this group of players we would be around the top 8 at the moment.  The basics of football are fundamentally simple. No nonsense at the back with a couple of big fellas, have some energy in midfield who can put a tackle in and get the ball to the guy who knows where the goal is!
    We also have better players than some of the teams who are beating us. Fair enough Peterborough and Oxford are ok sides, but we shouldn't be getting turned over by Bristol rovers (1 win this season - against us), Port vale (1 away win since January - against us) and Newport (league 2).

Again, that isn't on the owners, it's how the team is set up to play. Shambolic at the back, and conceding late goals in almost every game.

Even the one game we did win, we made hard work of. Looked tired in the last 10-15 minutes and i felt Orient looked the more likely to score late on. As you say, that is down to fitness levels and not the owners.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    We’ve got Pearce and Hayes as Interims.

Good luck to both as they will need it.

Will this turn things around?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    It WONT be Lee Johnson
    Why?
  • Options
    The club is in freefall. 
    Does it really matter who the next manager is going to be?
    Until we get proper serious owners with a realistic strategy to move us forward this will happen every few months. It amazes me that people still turn up at the valley. We are all being taken for mugs. Life is short. Find something else to do that is more fun and enjoyable than following this circus year in year out.
    Please don't come on a Charlton fan site and tell me not to support my club.
    NB take your own advice & don't post on here.
    The club is in freefall. 
    Does it really matter who the next manager is going to be?
    Until we get proper serious owners with a realistic strategy to move us forward this will happen every few months. It amazes me that people still turn up at the valley. We are all being taken for mugs. Life is short. Find something else to do that is more fun and enjoyable than following this circus year in year out.
    Please don't come on a Charlton fan site and tell me not to support my club.
    NB take your own advice & don't post on here.
    All the clowns are not in the circus. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Gobby Methven or any of his SMT are reading this….

Sacking Holden will not be enough. You now need to get a good manager, invest properly in the squad and act as if you know what you are doing.

Otherwise the club will lose fans.
  • Options
    Maybe Holden had enough ?
  • Options
    agim said:
    I just want a no nonsense manager that says it how it is and will organise us into something that resembles a football team. FYI I thought Holden was this guy but I was clearly wrong. 

I'm not putting these results on the new owners for two reasons:

1) Fitness. That is 100% down to the coaching team. If we sign a un-fit Lloyd Jones on 30th June by 30th August he should be fit!

2) Organisation. Again 100% down to the coaching team. To chop and change personal and formation so much within the first month of the season just shows me he didn't know his best team or formation.

To see we had a bad window is nonsense. Yes we need more but I'm telling you now as much as I don't like him if you gave Steve Evans this group of players we would be around the top 8 at the moment.  The basics of football are fundamentally simple. No nonsense at the back with a couple of big fellas, have some energy in midfield who can put a tackle in and get the ball to the guy who knows where the goal is!
    We also have better players than some of the teams who are beating us. Fair enough Peterborough and Oxford are ok sides, but we shouldn't be getting turned over by Bristol rovers (1 win this season - against us), Port vale (1 away win since January - against us) and Newport (league 2).

Again, that isn't on the owners, it's how the team is set up to play. Shambolic at the back, and conceding late goals in almost every game.

Even the one game we did win, we made hard work of. Looked tired in the last 10-15 minutes and i felt Orient looked the more likely to score late on. As you say, that is down to fitness levels and not the owners.
    In 4 of the 6 games we've conceded goals in the last ten minutes. This is down to fitness and mentality. The second goal we conceded against Oxford was absolutely criminal Sunday league stuff and that instruction to push everyone up would of come from the bench. 

I'm just hoping Pearce gets to work on the defence and we keep a clean sheet against Fleetwood. At least it will be something to build on
  • Options
    Holden certainly had an uphill struggle when it comes to dealing with the Powers That Be. He's also been somewhat unlucky to lose not only the number of players he has but also that they have mostly been ones integral to his desired style.

On the other hand, the way to deal with having one hand tied behind your back is not to glue the fingers of your other hand together and put on a blindfold. He doesn't appear to have done himself any favours and has played a poor hand very badly.

The problem is, any manager good enough and competent enough to deal with the ownership issues is probably also smart enough and in enough demand that they won't bother. Certainly if we really are operating on a shoestring budget.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:

Do we have to keep going over the same old crap … CM had no say in this he not making them decisions .. this come from high down to Andy Scott and Rodwell … New manager will be decided by Andy Scott and Peter Storrie who is still at the club till Friday