Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holden sacked?! (Ed. Yes - Confirmed)

Comments

• Options
    Tell you what, that visit to The Oak has got him some staunch support for what was overall a pretty poor footballing period.
  • Options
    All this perennial rubbish "we are doomed we need at least 5 new players". 

We could be in the playoffs NOW with just the players we've got. It's not quantum physics. They are athletes. With good skills. And proven at this level. Andy Scott will prove this by buying noone until January. Wish you well William Holden. 
    I really don’t think that’s true.
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Who would've done the sacking exactly - how does it work with all the board members, Methwen etc?
    Would have thought one of SMT by phone. 
    Wouldn’t be the first time someone sacked by a phone call,little s/&ts.
    Charlie has distanced himself from the sacking in this article…which seems to suggest that it was Andy Scott’s call:

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/dean-holden-dismissed-by-charlton-athletic-with-backroom-departures-too/
    The quote is from the takeover, not tonight 
    Very brave call .. suppose they could not take a chance of it continuing  and it shows they won’t stand for failure … DJ been unlucky with injured major players and key decisions going against us in the last 3 games could have easily been 4 wins .. but was he a promotion manager ?? 

we now have a leader in charge whether he will get a chance not sure but already Powell and Bowyer linked no thanks … 

Americans by nature don't do failure backers first big call for them and Rodwell  to make .. 

They should quit themselves then after their poor handling of the transfer window. If they had any integrityat least. 
    Oh christ don't feed it.
  • Options
    What a bloody circus we’ve become. I wonder how many good managers will take one look and then give us a swerve. We’ll be on to the second page of the shortlist before that particular poor bastard is unlucky enough to land the job. 
  • Options
    I’m all in and want Lee Johnson 

purely on the basis that as a set of fans , there can be none more clueless , every fuckwit owner , player , manager that comes through the door is the greatest thing in the world and we’ve been a crock of shite for a long time now 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wow. Been out all day and just seen this. Really surprised  Obviously we needed shot of Holden, but that never always stacks up with a weak ownership
    Maybe Methven isn't calling the shots after all?
    Whether those that are, are competent enough to make a decent appointment remains to be seen.
    Let's see
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Can never understand sackin a manager without their replacement already lined up, snd having to use a caretaker manager

Unless there was a fall out last night?
    My guess is there’s been a fall out brewing for some time. No manager would be happy going into a season as unsupported as Holden was., given the circumstances. 

My hunch is him and Scott have been at loggerheads all summer and there’s been an undercurrent over the last few weeks and inevitably about all this. 
    We have a winner here, would be my take.
  • Options
    Are we Watford in disguise? 
  • Options
    Don't back manager in transfer window > leave them 4 or 5 players short at the start of the season and stuck with a number of flops from previous regimes > sack manager when results don't come > new manager bounce > results gradually revert to mean

And repeat. Fucking 4 years in a row basically.

Shit show of a club. Are we the first club to sack a manager this season? Never thought we were that type of club. Always been the more patient kind.
    Holden was never going to be up to it.
    Nice bloke and all that, but this was too big for him unfortunately.
  • Options
    In 2009 when we dropped into the 3rd tier for the 1st time in my (proper) supporting lifetime I went to every game (home & away) as I thought it would a 1 season wonder.

Next season I'm looking forward to going to every game in League 2. 

How so, when you're not going to every game this season?
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Im going to throw a very unpopular name in to the hat, Andy Woodman lives local, knows the club, I reckon would ruffle a few feathers
    Can’t see it personally, Bromley to Charlton would be a bit of a step down for him
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Can never understand sackin a manager without their replacement already lined up, snd having to use a caretaker manager

Unless there was a fall out last night?
    My guess is there’s been a fall out brewing for some time. No manager would be happy going into a season as unsupported as Holden was., given the circumstances. 

My hunch is him and Scott have been at loggerheads all summer and there’s been an undercurrent over the last few weeks and inevitably about all this. 
      Can't see it myself.
    Holden was very much a 'Do as your told ' type.
    He was lucky to be given the gig in the first place, and he knew it.
    Really can't see him rocking the boat much.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2023
    Rob said:
    Maybe the new owners do have a serious strategy and could see that Holden was out of his depth and didn’t have a clue. To me, this is a positive. Let’s move forward and build with someone who knows what they’re doing. I know he was appointed by them but at least they’ve realised he was out of his depth and have acted quickly. We had reached a new level of incompetence with him in charge and it was getting worse. 

I think the new appointment will show us about the new owners. We need someone who has a proven track record. They tried for the cheap option and that didn’t work. Hopefully they’ve learned from that. Only time will tell though but, for now, I see this as a positive. 

Maybe I have rose tinted specs but I feel we were only going in one direction under Holden. 
    And that wasn’t up. 
    Duchatelet had a flawed strategy & fired manager after manager. Firing Holden as blame doesn’t mean that Methven has any less flaws in his plan. If there is no significant investment or change in the strategy then the next manager will likely struggle as well & the one after that.

Methhven likely spun a line about how easy promotion from League 1 was & that it could be done on a shoe string. That’s going to be found out very quickly. 
  • Options
    Sorry to see Holden go. He has been desperately unlucky this season with results and injuries. We should have beaten Brizzle and Vale and probably would have done with Leaburn back in the team. Whoever is daft enough to take on the head coach job will need a ton of luck, that's for sure. Gawd help us.
  • Options
    Well it’s got us trending if nothing else 🤦🏽‍♀️

• Options
    Dean Smith?
  • Options
    Andrew crofts from Brighton. Just want someone whose worked under a good regime  and even help the walleyes upstairs too 
  • Options
    Dean Smith?
    Don't think he'd drop to L1.

Genuinely forgot he was at Leicester last season when they went down.

Knew Rodgers left before the end of the season, but not a chance I'd have been able to name who went in after him.