Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holden sacked?! (Ed. Yes - Confirmed)

Comments

• Options
    I thought the new owners would give "their man" a bit more leeway but I was wrong. I wasn't sure about DH at first but he quickly grew on me.

But like others, I was perpexed by his team selection on Saturday. I looked like a Papa John's Trophy lineup. I'd like to know the background behind this but it might ultimately have cost him his job.
  • Options
    I am sure old Colin has stated it is for the best though and it will make us stronger.
  • Options
    Don't back manager in transfer window > leave them 4 or 5 players short at the start of the season and stuck with a number of flops from previous regimes > sack manager when results don't come > new manager bounce > results gradually revert to mean

And repeat. Fucking 4 years in a row basically.

Shit show of a club. Are we the first club to sack a manager this season? Never thought we were that type of club. Always been the more patient kind.
    Wolves had to replace their Manager just before the season started
  • Options
    Can never understand sackin a manager without their replacement already lined up, snd having to use a caretaker manager

Unless there was a fall out last night?
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited August 2023
    Who would've done the sacking exactly - how does it work with all the board members, Methwen etc?
    Would have thought one of SMT by phone. 
    Wouldn’t be the first time someone sacked by a phone call,little s/&ts.
    Charlie has distanced himself from the sacking in this article…which seems to suggest that it was Andy Scott’s call:

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/dean-holden-dismissed-by-charlton-athletic-with-backroom-departures-too/
    The quote is from the takeover, not tonight, and CM cannot sack anyone.
  • Options
    The club is in freefall. 
    Does it really matter who the next manager is going to be?
    Until we get proper serious owners with a realistic strategy to move us forward this will happen every few months. It amazes me that people still turn up at the valley. We are all being taken for mugs. Life is short. Find something else to do that is more fun and enjoyable than following this circus year in year out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whatever way you twist it, sacking a manager only 5 games into the season is showing how shambolic aid the club is run from the very top. 
    It's marginally better than sacking a manager just after the window has closed (which would have been after the Fleetwood game), but still dreadful, especially as still have so much transfer business to do this week, and a new manager will have different opinions about the current squad, and transfer priorities. That can't be left ENTIRELY  to Scott.
    As said mate, I think they are completely separate. The manager in our set up has very little say on signings, and sadly I suspect as a result of that we’ll be signing the type of player who don’t overly care who the manager is or what his philosophy is. 
    Exactly this. As if any new man who comes in is going to have any say whatsoever on new signings. It will just be another John who’ll get the sack in 8 months.
  • Options
    Holden will have been hired on false pretences
    He extended his contract on false pretences
    He realised all of this and Saturday, if he already knew, was his FU moment
    Tactically naieve, yes
    Sold a complete pup.  Most definitely.
  • Options
    Not sure a decent manager will want to come in a be so demonstrably Andy Scott’s (who?) junior
  • Options
    TeeC said:
    Not sure a decent manager will want to come in a be so demonstrably Andy Scott’s (who?) junior
    Andy Scott appointed Steve Cooper at Swansea. The fans may not like Scott because he’s connected with Methvan, but he seems to be well respected within the game. 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Who would've done the sacking exactly - how does it work with all the board members, Methwen etc?
    Charlie has distanced himself from the sacking in this article…which seems to suggest that it was Andy Scott’s call:

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/dean-holden-dismissed-by-charlton-athletic-with-backroom-departures-too/
    The quote is from the takeover, not tonight 
    Very brave call .. suppose they could not take a chance of it continuing  and it shows they won’t stand for failure … DJ been unlucky with injured major players and key decisions going against us in the last 3 games could have easily been 4 wins .. but was he a promotion manager ?? 

we now have a leader in charge whether he will get a chance not sure but already Powell and Bowyer linked no thanks … 

Americans by nature don't do failure backers first big call for them and Rodwell  to make .. 

• Options
    In 2009 when we dropped into the 3rd tier for the 1st time in my (proper) supporting lifetime I went to every game (home & away) as I thought it would a 1 season wonder.

Next season I'm looking forward to going to every game in League 2. 

• Options
    DA9 said:

Very brave call .. suppose they could not take a chance of it continuing  and it shows they won’t stand for failure … DJ been unlucky with injured major players and key decisions going against us in the last 3 games could have easily been 4 wins .. but was he a promotion manager ?? 

we now have a leader in charge whether he will get a chance not sure but already Powell and Bowyer linked no thanks … 

Americans by nature don't do failure backers first big call for them and Rodwell  to make .. 

DJ ??? No wonder we’ve lost 5 in all comps if he’s been picking the team 😏
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9 said:

They should quit themselves then after their poor handling of the transfer window. If they had any integrityat least. 
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    Quite the split of opinion on this one. Personally think the squad is a bit shit, but not shit enough to be in the position we’re in. Unfortunate timing with the window closing this week. Gonna be an interesting week 
    I hope they already know they want and he’s in next working day!
  • Options
    So, that's a couple of defenders, a creative midfielder and an accomplished target man up front. Now let me think, there's something missing... Oh yeah! A coach with coaching staff, all in two days.

Simples.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Absolute (but expected) joke. 

As soon as Methven's name was mentioned in this group I thought it was bad news and would be a continuation of the same clown show decisions of Sandgaard's reign. 

Many have already said the obvious that changing the manager every minute isn't the solution, it's just a shame those in charge never seem to see that. 

Was Holden the new messiah? Probably not but now we'll never know. We could have Pep in and it wouldn't make a difference if the manager is not backed and given time. 

The real issue is that we are stuck in a murder death suicide pact with a rotating group of charlatans and incompetents who continue to drag our club through the mud. Until we get a serious ownership group in it doesn't matter who the manager is, we'll continue to rot.    
  • Options
    Holden was a strange appointment, which seemed to come from nowhere. Looking back at the last few appointments, most made some sort of sense at the time, even if they then failed.

Slade - safe pair of hands in L1
    Robinson - done well at MKD, good with young players
    Bowyer - already at the club, did very well as caretaker, "one of our own"
    Adkins - slightly random appointment, came out of nowhere
    Jacko - already at the club, did very well as caretaker, club legend
    Garner - suited the style of football the owner wanted, and was even allowed to bring in an entire coaching team
    Holden - slightly random appointment, friends with the gang of 4?
  • Options
    Holden's done pretty well in his so far unsuccessful career as a manager. Comes in for a few months here and there gets the sack and a nice little pay off. 
  • Options
    I’m glad the managers are picking the players to build his own team