Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holden sacked?! (Ed. Yes - Confirmed)

Comments

• Options
    People keep saying he had not been backed but then I kept reading we had a good window. 
  • Options
    Dean, if you're reading this - Sorry to kick you when you're down but I've been told to inform you that you're also barred from The Rose.
  • Options
    Charlton board are drawing up a short list of prospective managers 
     That is Methven with the blue sleeves isn't it with Rodwell to his left ?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    SDAddick said:

"nor his development of many younger players....because we have forced him to play them due to lack of investment."
    He didn't have to start Deji, Anderson, and Kanu yesterday. He chose to with more experienced players left on the bench. 
    And playing Edun at CM and CBT as wingback was insane, damaging our attack and defence in one fell swoop. 
    A bit like Eddie Firmani playing Mike Kenning at left back in the 0-5 defeat by Leicester, he got the sack too.

(I'm a big fan of Eddie before anyone slates me, just pointing out a fact)
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Whose Swindon’s manager these days?

Why not ?  :#
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We'll smash division 4, and tickets will be cheaper.

We need to concentrate on building in January for our 2025 promotion push.
    Methven will increase prices to make up for less fans in his never ending pursuit of saving 6 mill a season.

Hmm I wonder if he had already budgeted for paying off Holdens three year contract when he came out with that bullshit.
  • Options
    Not surprised, it has been an awful start, and Holden has looked clueless. Recruitment hasn’t been great, but let’s not forget he wanted the small trim squad, but he has left himself exposed.
    strange time to sack though, just before the end of the window, with who ever comes in my want different type of player, but I suppose ground work for who is coming in is done.
    feel sorry for Dean it hasn’t work, he is a good guy! 
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    I thought it was really strange yesterday that there was no pre match interview with DH. Could it be that he already knew?
    But there was??
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    As much as I feel bad for Holden, his tactics were absolutely shocking. 

There didn't seem to be a clear style of play. We were supposedly implementing a high press, but never seemed to win the hall high. Players were playing roles that just don't suit them. 

As long as it isn't Johnson I'll give the new manager a chance. If it is, I think that's my cue to take a break.
    100% this - I said this before the Oxford game, and I was getting a lot of stick for it 
  • Options
    Well perhaps the No dickheads policy went with Dean so welcome Lee Johnson

I really hope not!

Sorry to see Holden go deserved more time 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I actually had a video ready but then went against it as it felt really cruel discussing a bloke losing his job, that's why I was cautious in regards to Dean on Charlton Live.

I feel in the minority here though, I think he had to go, last 10 games including the back end of last season. 10 games played, 3 wins, 1 draw, 6 losses. 4 of the losses came after time with the squad and a pre-season. Two clean sheets in that time, scoring 13 and conceding 21. Really abysmal stuff. I bought into his talk genuinely, but proof was in the pudding and Holden just didn't have the recipe sadly.

In regards to Lee Johnson, I think that's the next Charlton manager, so I have to ask, why are people losing their s**t over him? Did he say something that I missed or is it just the 'better then sex' comment. 

I've seen fans saying they're gonna boycott if he is announced, where is this level of hatred coming from? His win percentage was very respectable at Oldham, Bristol City & Sunderland. He had never lost more than he had won until Hibs. Over 500 games managed so he would be our most experienced manager since Karl Robinson.

Either way as much as Lee Johnson wouldn't be my ideal candidate, I imagine he would give us a better than at getting somewhere then Holden did? 

Maybe I'm being too positive
    I think with Johnson, it is not so much his managerial record, which is pretty good to be fair, it is the personality that seems an issue.. Suppose was a bit like Robinson when he come in!

Personally I would like to see Moore or Bowyer come in, but let's see. They would have had someone lined up already I think! 
  • Options
    Get some sleep Braziliance 
  • Options
    Utter shambles and beyond depressing. 
    Repeat, repeat, repeat.
    I dread to think where the club is in 5 years. 
  • Options
    Well we aren't getting any more players in now.
    Why? 

Most managers do t get a say in the players anyway. 

I was out with a womble last week
    amd he told me that signing players has been taken away from Jackson. He tells their DoF what position he wants, what type of player and it's done for him. He can concentrate on coaching. It's the modern way with most clubs following this approach
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Valley11 said:
    Utter shambles and beyond depressing. 
    Repeat, repeat, repeat.
    I dread to think where the club is in 5 years. 
    Probably bobbing around mid table in this division like we have for what feels like the last 15 years, with the odd moment of something better for a season.
  • Options
    Usually I get a bit of a feel when a manager has come to a natural end, whichever club it is.  It's usually a bad run of results culminating in a right tonking or 2. The latter never happened here so I am a bit surprised by the timing, in particular with the window still just about open.

That said 5 defeats in a row is pretty shocking and I'm not sure what Saturday's starting line up was all about, so Deano didn't help himself here.

But I'm also one for seeing a manager given time to turn things around when it starts to go wrong. Otherwise you never really know what might have been. So it smacks of either a fall out behind the scenes or the new board trying to distance themselves from the current position we find ourselves in in the table.

All things considered I'd have given Holden more time but I think its fair to say there have been far greater travesties over the years. Neither the current form or league table makes good reading for CAFC.

And so it's now onto the next one to give our support to whoever they may be. Happy for Pearcey to be given a few games to see what he can do. But I do favour the old school managers who have a bit of nastiness about them and know how to get out of this hell hole of a league. 442 would be nice too please. So a Cotterill or Steve Evans would do me just fine.