Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup

Comments

• Options
    Oh dear! First ball, Das charges down the pitch to Boult and clips the ball straight into the hands of Henry at deep fine leg!
  • Options
    Ferguson takes a couple of wickets and both were as soft as the dismissal of Das. That said, Ferguson must be one of the toughest bowlers to face - fast but skiddy who can also get it chest and head high.

56-3 off 12
  • Options
    And then Phillips gets a wicket (yet another soft one with Shanto chipping it to mid wicket) with his very first delivery

56-4 off 12.1
  • Options
    93-4 off 20
  • Options
    152-5 off 30 
  • Options
    NZ & India are looking like the teams to beat, with England hopefully being stronger than SA, Pakistan, Sri Lanka & Australia.
    Hopefully, stronger than NZ & India as well. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    NZ & India are looking like the teams to beat, with England hopefully being stronger than SA, Pakistan, Sri Lanka & Australia.
    Hopefully, stronger than NZ & India as well. 
    I'm coming from a slightly biased perspective because I backed them at the outset but I would say, based on collateral form. that SA have been the second best team to India. NZ beat us comfortably but there are probably reasons for that and they then played probably the two weakest teams in the tournament in the Netherlands and Bangladesh. SA racked up 428 on a good track against Afghanistan but then scored 311 which, overall, was probably as good, on a wicket that wasn't as easy, against Australia. I do think, though, that the top four will be India, SA, NZ and England. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    195-7 off 41
  • Options
    214-8 off 45
  • Options
    Latham has taken two catches, as you might expect from a wicket keeper. 

Unusually, he's taken them both on the edge of the 30m circle. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    245-9 off 50 
  • Options
    From being 56 for 4 it was some sort of comeback I suppose. 
    Probably still about 80 runs short of realistically beating NZ though 
  • Options
    Mustafizur has Ravindra caught behind

12-1 off 2.4
  • Options
    Having been out for so long, Williamson appears to be using this as an opportunity to have a net in the middle with just two runs off his first 19 balls but has since followed that with a couple of boundaries from his last four balls 

37-1 off 10
  • Options
    92-1 off 20
  • Options
    Next ball Conway is caught in two minds as to whether to reverse sweep or not and is trapped in front to Shakib
  • Options
    146-2 off 30
  • Options
    Williamson is doing his best impression of Stokes - clearly his knee isn't right but he's battling on manfully nevertheless. 
  • Options
    Williamson is doing his best impression of Stokes - clearly his knee isn't right but he's battling on manfully nevertheless. 
    And now he's been hit on the hand from a throw!
  • Options
    Williamson retires on 78* (107).  Just hope for his sake that this is just precautionary. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    220-2 off 40
  • Options
    NZ win by 8 wickets with 7.1 overs left
  • Options
    So, who do we want to win tomorrow?
    Much like the SA v Aus game, my heart wants Pakistan, but my head tells me that an India win would be better for England.
  • Options
    So, who do we want to win tomorrow?
    Much like the SA v Aus game, my heart wants Pakistan, but my head tells me that an India win would be better for England.
    India are virtual certainties to qualify for the semis whereas Pakistan usually have one or two unexpected defeats in them and for that reason we have to want India to win
  • Options
    Just seen the crowd at the India-Pakistan game today will be 132,000.

Fucking hell that'll be quiet then.
  • Options
    Just seen the crowd at the India-Pakistan game today will be 132,000.

Fucking hell that'll be quiet then.
    And over a billion people worldwide watching it on TV
  • Options
    Now if only we had a domestic competition that players could utilise as a template for playing at the highest level:

England’s World Cup bolter Harry Brook admits he is still trying to “figure out the format” after being asked to fill a Ben Stokes-shaped gap in the one-day side.

Already a rising star in the Test arena and a T20 world champion, he has played a grand total of 23 List A fixtures, with eight of those on the international stage.

With the advent of The Hundred relegating the Metro Bank Cup’s status, he is representative of a generation of upcoming English talent with limited 50-over experience and finds himself in the unusual position of learning the ropes at the highest possible level.

“I’m very inexperienced in this format. It does make a big difference having not played it, I think,” he said.

“Hopefully I can pick it up fairly quickly after the last couple of games and, if I get another go, then try and make a big score.

Brook has made bright starts in both Ahmedabad and Dharamshala only to be dismissed for 25 and 20.

The numbers tell a story – with his 45 runs comprising 34 in boundaries and coming off just 31 balls. In a side famed for its relentless commitment to attack, there is a suspicion that the 24-year-old may have gone too hard, too soon.

“Everybody’s just said ‘you’ve got a lot more time than you think’,” he said.

“It’s almost approaching the start of your innings like a Test match and then, the longer you’re in, the easier it gets and the less the ball’s moving around.

“I’ve played so much T20 cricket over the last couple of years, if you see a ball go above your eyeline your eyes light up and you want to smack it. But I’ll just give myself a bit more time and make a big one soon.”

• Options
    Chris Woakes missed training yesterday due to illness and may miss tomorrow's game against Afghanistan as a result
  • Options
    India win the toss and will bowl
  • Options
    Shubman Gill is back for Ishan Kishan but Pakistan remain unchanged