Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup

1515253545557»

Comments

• Options
    Must admit I feel violated..wanting Australia to win just isn't natural..I need urgent help.However I thought the Aussies were brilliant in the field and batted well. India were captained very poorly by comparison. Now can't wait to go on social media to see the many excuses from the Indian followers. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    For what it's worth (and it really is worth absolutely nothing) below is my Team of the Tournament. No doubt that there will be arguments about some of the selections but many pick themselves by weight of runs and/or wickets or simply because of their match winning performances. There also, of course, has to be a balance to the side but the only one that really caused me a headache was a toss up between Jansen and Coetzee - I opted for the better batsman and new ball bowler in the end:

Rohit (India)
    De Kock (SA)
    Ravindra (NZ)
    Kohli (India)
    Head (Australia)
    Maxwell (Australia)
    Jansen (SA)
    Jadeja (India)
    Shami (India)
    Zampa (Australia)
    Bumrah (India) 

Good team, but I'd say that Jansen froze when SA needed him to step up. Not sure I agree with putting a batsman in at a number that they didn't bat at all in the WC (Ravindra). 
  • Options
    Jansen ahead of, like, any Afghanistan player is total nonsense. Get Azmatullah Omarzai in there
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    For what it's worth (and it really is worth absolutely nothing) below is my Team of the Tournament. No doubt that there will be arguments about some of the selections but many pick themselves by weight of runs and/or wickets or simply because of their match winning performances. There also, of course, has to be a balance to the side but the only one that really caused me a headache was a toss up between Jansen and Coetzee - I opted for the better batsman and new ball bowler in the end:

Rohit (India)
    De Kock (SA)
    Ravindra (NZ)
    Kohli (India)
    Head (Australia)
    Maxwell (Australia)
    Jansen (SA)
    Jadeja (India)
    Shami (India)
    Zampa (Australia)
    Bumrah (India) 

Good team but I'd day Jansen froze when SA needed him to step up. Not sure agree with putting a batsman in at a number that they didn't bat at all in the WC (Ravindra). 
    Leuth said:
    Jansen ahead of, like, any Afghanistan player is total nonsense. Get Azmatullah Omarzai in there
    As I say, it is a matter of opinion but batting positions isn't just about where they batted in this WC but where they can do a very effective job. That said, Ravindra did bat at 3 in this WC. Six times, in fact, where he scored 123 not out against England, 51 against Netherlands, 32 against Afghanistan, 75 against India, 116 against Australia and 9 against South Africa. So, not only did he bat more times at 3 than opening but he was more successful coming in at first drop. Omarazai scored 353 in 8 innings of which he was not out three times but I'm really not sure which of Rohit (597 runs), De Kock (594 runs and keeper), Ravindra (578 runs), Kohli (759 runs), Head (329 runs from 6 innings and the MOM in the WC Final) and the batting genius that is Maxwell (400 runs and who provided us with one of the best innings of all time in ODIs). 

I did consider any number of players for that number 7 slot. The one thing I didn't want in this team was the situation that India found themselves in today with Jadeja batting at 7 followed by four number 11s. Jansen took 17 wickets at 26.52 with an E/R of 6.52. Only six bowlers in the whole WC took more and three of those are in my team. The others are Madushanka, Shaheen Shah Afridi and as I mentioned above, Coetzee. Jansen also averaged 31.40 with the bat.  

The side above has three seamers with two right and one left armer, five spinners of with the main options of a left armer (Jadeja), a leggie (Zampa) and an offie (Maxwell), a keeper that opens, plus four right handers and four left handers in the top eight. I would be happy for my team to take on any others suggested by those on here and would be interested to see the full team of others. Remember though that the team does have to be a balanced one. 
  • Options
    Big mis-analysis on my behalf, must have been half asleep through some games. Completely agree with you there, and great justification.
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Rohit (India)
    De Kock (SA)
    Ravindra (NZ)
    Kohli (India)
    Head (Australia)
    Maxwell (Australia)
    Jansen (SA)
    Jadeja (India)
    Shami (India)
    Zampa (Australia)
    Bumrah (India) 

Good team but I'd day Jansen froze when SA needed him to step up. Not sure agree with putting a batsman in at a number that they didn't bat at all in the WC (Ravindra). 
    Leuth said:
    As I say, it is a matter of opinion but batting positions isn't just about where they batted in this WC but where they can do a very effective job. That said, Ravindra did bat at 3 in this WC. Six times, in fact, where he scored 123 not out against England, 51 against Netherlands, 32 against Afghanistan, 75 against India, 116 against Australia and 9 against South Africa. So, not only did he bat more times at 3 than opening but he was more successful coming in at first drop. Omarazai scored 353 in 8 innings of which he was not out three times but I'm really not sure which of Rohit (597 runs), De Kock (594 runs and keeper), Ravindra (578 runs), Kohli (759 runs), Head (329 runs from 6 innings and the MOM in the WC Final) and the batting genius that is Maxwell (400 runs and who provided us with one of the best innings of all time in ODIs). 

I did consider any number of players for that number 7 slot. The one thing I didn't want in this team was the situation that India found themselves in today with Jadeja batting at 7 followed by four number 11s. Jansen took 17 wickets at 26.52 with an E/R of 6.52. Only six bowlers in the whole WC took more and three of those are in my team. The others are Madushanka, Shaheen Shah Afridi and as I mentioned above, Coetzee. Jansen also averaged 31.40 with the bat.  

The side above has three seamers with two right and one left armer, five spinners of with the main options of a left armer (Jadeja), a leggie (Zampa) and an offie (Maxwell), a keeper that opens, plus four right handers and four left handers in the top eight. I would be happy for my team to take on any others suggested by those on here and would be interested to see the full team of others. Remember though that the team does have to be a balanced one. 
    Hard to argue with any of that, although i can't believe you left out Jos Buttler.......
  • Options
    NEVER underestimate the Aussies, this was a terrific win by a team that got better and better the longer the tournament went .. just a great all round performance, tight bowling, sound batting, 5 catches for Inglis and Head is the latest bowler wrecking 'superstar' as well as taking a superb catch .. India disintegrated under pressure in front of a huge crowd .. great sport
  • Options
    Australia have had some great bowling partnerships down the years, but Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood have to be up there as a fast bowling trio. 

World Test champions, ODI WC winners twice and T20 WC winners too.
  • Options

Rohit (India)
    De Kock (SA)
    Ravindra (NZ)
    Kohli (India)
    Head (Australia)
    Maxwell (Australia)
    Jansen (SA)
    Jadeja (India)
    Shami (India)
    Zampa (Australia)
    Bumrah (India) 

The ICC have named their Team of the Tournament:

Rohit (India)
    De Kock (SA)
    Kohli (India)
    Mitchell (NZ)
    Rahul (India)
    Maxwell (Australia)
    Jadeja (India)
    Bumrah (India) 
    Madushanka (SL)
    Shami (India)
    Zampa (Australia)

So the differences between theirs and mine are Mitchell, Rahul and Madushanka for Ravindra, Head and Jansen. Mitchell v Ravindra is a bit of a coin toss, I would have Head over Rahul because I don't need a second keeper and his only ton was against the Netherlands whereas Head's two match winning contributions were against NZ and then India in the Final and I have Jansen in front of Madushanka purely because I don't want a tail that starts when the side is just six down. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I get there are a hundred and one reasons what we didn't give ourselves a decent chance of winning this world cup but none of them explain this.

10 of those out there today are world cup winners, 6 of them have won two.  The last two.  

They look like they wouldn't beat a club side.

We thrashed New Zeland 6 weeks ago.

We drew that series 2-2 and we were on home soil too. These are totally different conditions.

Those players don't have to fight to get into the England team. There was no selection process as such or meaningful opportunities for others to stake a claim. An average of 5 ODIs in the last year as opposed to India's 15 per player. It was all based on historical performances. Even Root complained about not having enough ODIs but when you're not around for most of them you are only compounding the problem.

And guess how we've rewarded these players. By giving the likes of Bairstow a two year central contract. Once he is dropped we will have to bring in someone who isn't on one and who should have every right to feel hard done by given that he is replacing a player on £700,000  a year for not even playing.

That said, we've had little or the wrong gameplan. I've pointed out time and again how the better teams have preserved their wickets for the last 10 overs or so. It is absolutely hopeless trying to play Bazball and then ending up being all out in 25 overs. "Going hard" from the start only works on roads and we've played at five different grounds. One size really doesnt fit all and if you don't give yourself time to assess the wicket you are asking to be thrashed in four out of five games.

We have got what we deserved and I fear that our players knew they were out as early as before the last game. Four dead rubbers to play now but no doubt we will learn from those mistakes and people will shout "if only".

We won the series 3-1 winning the last 3 games by a combined 360 runs.

Yes different conditions but it's not like this is the first time any of our players have set foot in India.  New Zeland had pretty much the same preparation as us, did they spend all August playing domestic 50 over cricket?

There are loads of reasons the long term health of our 50 over team is in doubt. 

There are zero excuses for these performances.
    NZ players have taken part, on average, in 20 ODIs in the previous 12 months as opposed to our 5. That is a 15 innings difference - and not just from the perspective of finding form and understanding the nuances of 50 over cricket but also as a guide to squad selection. We played 83 ODIs in the four year run to the 2019 WC. This time we played 42 with many of this squad unavailable for one reason or another. The Metro Bank was an alternative way of preparation that was utlised by England players in 2019 when it was The Royal Insurance. We shunned that too. And to say NZ didn't play in the Metro Bank is a wrong comparison for two reasons - one because NZ batsmen had batted on average that 15 extra times but the other is that I've never heard of a country not giving themselves the best chance to win a WC. It's like saying that we have the best facilities but let's go and train at some village club to level the playing field against some of the lesser countries who do not enjoy the quality of our facilities! And those England players did play in the Royal in 2019. If it was good enough then, it should have been good enough now.

Anyway, let's compare England's top six career in ODIs, in England and in India and then against the likes of NZ and SA in India:

England in England:

Malan           69.00
    Bairstow       49.94
    Root             46.37
    Stokes          45.50
    Buttler          42.83
    Livingstone   33.63

Total            287.30 

England in India:

Malan           47.66
    Bairstow       34.69
    Root             47.00
    Stokes          43.28
    Buttler          14.83
    Livingstone   18.80

Total             206.26

NZ in India:

Conway         57.71
    Ravindra        72.50
    Williamson     39.66
    Mitchell          50.33
    Phillips           27.66
    Latham           50.08

Total              297.94

SA in India:

Bavuma           16.75
    De Kock           60.30
    Markram          44.12
    V der Dussen   39.80
    Klassen            60.85
    Miller               41.12

Total               262.94

So our top six is 81 runs worse in India than in England and worse by 93 than NZ and by 57 than SA in India (had I used Hendricks instead of Bavuma then we would have been worse by 84). Buttler, from no small sample, has batted 14 times in ODIs in India, scoring 178 runs in total with a top score of 43 and as average of 14.83. That is appalling. And he is our captain. 
    Forget about all the whataboutary and hindsight if you were the England captain/coach/selector would you not have picked Buttler for the world cup?  Honestly.

Of course I would but people are shocked that we are doing so badly in India and Buttler is one of the contributory factors. But I also said when he got the captaincy that I wouldn't have given it to him as I was worried about it affecting his keeping and hoping that his batting would still be strong. I had no idea how good a captain he was going to be because he had no pedigree whatsoever as a skipper. And his decision making at times here has been shocking. 
    I asked without any whataboutary.

Buttler's captaincy, or lack of, isn't the reason arguably the best line and length bowler England have is missing his line and length by meters and England's best batsman doesn't look like he can score a run.

As @billysboots says you would pick at least 7 of 8 of the players England picked regardless of any 50 over form because they are undoubtedly our best players.

The big question now is do they throw the baby out with the bath water and give dad's army a chance for redemption in the t20 world cup or do we go all out for the next 50 over world cup.

Without looking it up I don't think anyone that played today is under 30.  Lack of understanding of the formate isn't an excuse.

You ask "without whataboutary" but then conveniently ignore the very reasons I put up as why we haven't turned up. You can't separate the two. You can't on the one hand say "who would you have picked instead of Bairstow", for example, when the provisional squad was based on players playing so few games - Bairstow (3), Root (4), Livingstone (4), Brook (6), Wood (2) who clearly haven't played enough games in that mode compared to Sharma (18), Gill (21), Kohli (19), Rahul (16)

So please allow me to ask you and @billyboots a question:

Do you think India playing 29 ODIs in the 12 months prior to the WC gave them clarity as to what their best squad was and also helped those players to find form? 
    Are you honestly telling me that 10-15 ODIs in the last 18 months would have made Bairstow, Root, Butler, Woakes, Rashid and Wood, for example, play better now?

If so how?  They have played plenty of cricket in that time.  They are all in their 30s.  They can all bat/bowl to an incredibly high standard. 

Let's not go round in circles about Hundreds, Blasts, First Class cricket in August etc, we all know the long term effects they have.

We have at least 6 world class, multiple format, proven winners, that have turned up at a world cup and looked like complete mugs.

If we got to the semi final and Livingstone got a duck and went for a gallon I could say I told you so.  But that's not what happened.

You can call Buttler out, rightfully, but he was the captain last year when we won the T20 world cup.  In this format he has more time to get messages from the dressing room, especially with the number of sub fielders we have had to use.  

I am pretty sure he didn't tell Woakes, for example, to bowl like he did.

There is much, much, more to this than the Hundred.

Twice you accuse me of using "whataboutary" but then you don't answer the question I pose with a straight answer as to whether India benefitted from having 29 ODIs (not in 18 months) in 12 months! If you don't think that India have benefitted from that then what really was the purpose of them playing those? This is, after all, a nation where T20 is normally the be all and end all. In the previous 12 months to that they played just 15 ODIs so deliberately doubled their ODIs. Why would they do that if is wasn't to prepare for the WC? 

My whole point about utlising those 29 ODIs, in addition to getting used to the format and finding form, was that we based our selection on historical ODI data and T20. 20 over cricket is not the same as 50 over cricket in the sense that you can afford to lose three wickets in the first 10 overs in a T20 but you can't do so in an ODI. If you want one shining example of someone that is unproven batting time then there's Livingstone. This is someone who has only once, in any form of the game, batted for more than 50 balls in 140 innings dating back to June 2021!!! So what evidence was there that he could consistently do that in India especially batting at 6? Equally, Bairstow hasn't scored an ODI hundred in over two and a half years and hadn't played an ODI for 15 months prior to the NZ series when he averaged 13 in those four games. 

Now had we played 29 ODIs we might have been able to give a run to the likes of say Duckett and Crawley and they might have been able to find the sort of form that would have kept Bairstow out of the side. Equally, we might have been able to take more of a look at Jacks or someone else and found a better option that Livingstone. We might have found a better seam bowler than Woakes especially in Indian conditions. But we played 20 less ODIs than India and never gave ourselves the chance to do that. It became harder for any of us to pick the right squad because everything was based on what had been done in years gone by.  

You finally say that what I've said is "There is much, much, more to this than the Hundred". I didn't say that The Hundred was the sole cause of our dreadful performances here. I said that it was an opportunity for our internationals to play in the domestic 50 over competition but had we played 29 ODIs in the preceding 12 months then those players might not have needed to have done so. But they did neither. And that's not about "Bairstow, Root, Butler, Woakes, Rashid and Wood playing better now". It's about giving them the opportunity in the middle to find the form that made them brilliant ODI cricketers. And if they couldn't do so then we would have had enough evidence to find a replacement that might have done so. 

cafc43v3r never replied and hasn't been seen/heard of since.