Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup

Comments

• Options
    Part of the problem is that the modern game is much slower, thus a 50 over game lasts forever.

Endless fielding changes, DRS pauses, concussion checks, problems with the zinger bails, pauses for no reason at all except to allow commercial breaks...
  • Options
    What is strange about this world cup is that it seems to have taken ages to get through the group stage but suddenly its bang, 2 semi- finals & a final all within a few days and it's over. 

I think there should have been 2 matches a day & so cut the group stage down by a couple of weeks. Taken so long to get to this point.
  • Options
    What is strange about this world cup is that it seems to have taken ages to get through the group stage but suddenly its bang, 2 semi- finals & a final all within a few days and it's over. 

I think there should have been 2 matches a day & so cut the group stage down by a couple of weeks. Taken so long to get to this point.
    The format is changing for the next one in 2027 and whilst there are more teams and two groups, i think it's possibly going to be an even longer tournament than this one.

There will be two groups of seven, with the top three teams in each group progressing to a Super Six stage, followed by semi-finals and a final.

So to win it you will play:

6 group matches
    5 Super Six matches
    Semi final
    Final

13 games in total, and i can imagine it will go for 6-7 weeks.
  • Options
    I assume it's the Indian influence, wanting as many matches, and especially as many India matches as possible, which creates these weird formats and a tournament that drags on forever. 
  • Options

The format is changing for the next one in 2027 and whilst there are more teams and two groups, i think it's possibly going to be an even longer tournament than this one.

There will be two groups of seven, with the top three teams in each group progressing to a Super Six stage, followed by semi-finals and a final.

6 group matches
    5 Super Six matches
    Semi final
    Final

At least the Super 6 should be exciting and have the jeopardy.
  • Options

6 group matches
    5 Super Six matches
    Semi final
    Final

Is this bit right? Usually when there's a "Super Six" stage, you carry through the results of the teams you've already played, which cuts the Super Six games down from five to three. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

6 group matches
    5 Super Six matches
    Semi final
    Final

Is this bit right? Usually when there's a "Super Six" stage, you carry through the results of the teams you've already played, which cuts the Super Six games down from five to three. 
    Yeah you're right actually, i think you only play against the teams from the other group.

So it'll be 11 games to win it, same as this years tournament.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    The 2019 WC actually lasted just one day less than this one. Perhaps it's because that we won that one and were heading out of the tournament after just four games in this one that it seems so much longer by comparison and the fact that we were hosting then, with the opportunity to go and watch games, that makes a difference too. Despite there being four more teams in 2027 there will, actually, be just six more games and I would think that there will be more "double game" days as there were with that format of utlising a Pool and a Group stage, as in 2003, in order to fit in with the current schedule.   
  • Options
    The 2019 WC actually lasted just one day less than this one. Perhaps it's because that we won that one and were heading out of the tournament after just four games in this one that it seems so much longer by comparison and the fact that we were hosting then, with the opportunity to go and watch games, that makes a difference too. Despite there being four more teams in 2027 there will, actually, be just six more games and I would think that there will be more "double game" days as there were with that format of utlising a Pool and a Group stage, as in 2003, in order to fit in with the current schedule.   
    The "one group" format is only interesting if one of the big teams starts badly, then goes on a run of must wins to qualify. If the best teams pull clear right from the start of the tournament, you end up with a lot of dead rubbers.
  • Options
    Everyone has forgotten the part weather can play in these tournaments as every game has been played to a result in this tournament as far as I am aware. I’d like to see a spare second day for all games so that when any team plays the Seychelles (or whoever) and it’s washed out, there’s a second day to play/complete the game rather than sharing the points. It’s not a problem in India but is in many host countries. I seem to remember the Saffers got stuffed by washouts to easy games in one tournament.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I see Nasser Hussain says that the timing of the ODI World Cup after the Ashes leaving England “physically and mentally exhausted” is a contributory factor for our poor performances in the WC. Well, we have 7 players who played in the Ashes and the WC and the Aussies have 10 and they were the away side in the Ashes so had more travelling and less home comforts. The likes of Buttler, Malan, Curran, Willey, Atkinson, Rashid, Livingstone and Topley didn't play in the Ashes whereas only Maxwell, Zampa, Stoinis, Inglis and Abbott weren't in their Ashes squad and Abbott has only played one match in this WC.  
  • Options
    I’ve just read that India have requested a slow pitch for the semi-final tomorrow against NZ and that grass be shaved off the pitch.  Cheeky sods.

Shades of Laker and Lock in the 1950’s and the carefully prepared Oval wickets.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

6 group matches
    5 Super Six matches
    Semi final
    Final

Is this bit right? Usually when there's a "Super Six" stage, you carry through the results of the teams you've already played, which cuts the Super Six games down from five to three. Addick Addict said:
    This WC is made up of 45 Group matches, two Semis and a Final = 48 games in total. 2027 will be 42 Group matches, 9 Super Sixes, two Semis and a Final = 54 games in total.
  • Options
    I see Nasser Hussain says that the timing of the ODI World Cup after the Ashes leaving England “physically and mentally exhausted” is a contributory factor for our poor performances in the WC. Well, we have 7 players who played in the Ashes and the WC and the Aussies have 10 and they were the away side in the Ashes so had more travelling and less home comforts. The likes of Buttler, Malan, Curran, Willey, Atkinson, Rashid, Livingstone and Topley didn't play in the Ashes whereas only Maxwell, Zampa, Stoinis, Inglis and Abbott weren't in their Ashes squad and Abbott has only played one match in this WC.  
    Apart from the facts making a nonsense of this comment, the Ashes were finished by the end of July, which is 2 months before the WC. It's not like previous World Cups, like one played in Australia straight after England had just been stuffed in the Ashes, with most of the same players, which was really tough.

Cummins has an incredible workload, captaining the Test and ODI sides, so playing virtually every game in those formats.
  • Options
    I’ve just read that India have requested a slow pitch for the semi-final tomorrow against NZ and that grass be shaved off the pitch.  Cheeky sods.

India win the toss and will bat. Sharma "pitch looks a bit slow"................
  • Options
    Almost goes without saying, but I'd love NZ to win this.
  • Options

India win the toss and will bat. Sharma "pitch looks a bit slow"................
    Well they certainly haven't started slow. 

38-0 off 4 overs.
  • Options
    NZ bowling far too straight and specifically on middle and leg. Whatever happened to starting the ball on 5th/6th stump?
  • Options
    Rohit is firing here.
  • Options
    I know that they are the All Blacks but, for whatever reason, I still can't get used to Lockie Ferguson's black boots
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great catch by Williamson running back off a slower ball from Southee to dismiss Sharma for 47 (29)

71-1 off 8.2
  • Options
    Here's a question. Should an Umpire wait to give a batsman out LBW until the ball has gone "dead"? We've just had an appeal turned down for LBW - the ball ended up going to the boundary and as Kohli had hit it four runs were awarded to him. But had he been given out then the ball would have become "dead" at that point and no runs would have been awarded. 
  • Options
    150-1 off 20
  • Options
    I know he has a lot of haters but Kohli has been unreal in this tournament. Especially with the added pressure of delivering in a home tournament. 
  • Options
    I know he has a lot of haters but Kohli has been unreal in this tournament. Especially with the added pressure of delivering in a home tournament. 
    The most impressive aspect is that his total, to date of 680 runs, hasn't been skewed by one massive score - highest (unless he beats that today) is 103* but he has eight 50s in 10 matches and six of those have been 85 plus
  • Options
    Kohli reaches his third 50 of the tournament and a record 50 of them in ODIs
  • Options
    Kohli out for 117

327-2 off 44
  • Options
    397-4 off 50

It will be a good chase if NZ do it!!! They are currently 25/1 to do so. 
  • Options
    Kohli the first man to go past 700 runs in a single world cup tournament.
  • Options
    397-4 off 50

It will be a good chase if NZ do it!!! They are currently 25/1 to do so. 
    They got close chasing similar v Australia, but this is a different level of bowling attack.