Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup

Comments

• Options
     I’ve worked in 26 of the last 26 months. 

No drop off in my work performance 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Sri Lanka's heavy defeat also means it's highly likely that England will be participating in the next Champions Trophy.

England would have to lose by about 280 runs or inside 10 overs for the NRR to fall below Sri Lanka's. That fact, along with the Netherlands' last game being against the unbeaten hosts India, means it's very unlikely that England will fall lower than 8th in the table.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    The guardian’s take on Buttlers drop in form, they think due to his workload. The interesting bit is that he has played in 24 of the last 26 months , and only had a break because of a broken digit. That’s quite a workload .

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/nov/06/jos-buttler-itinerary-what-is-wrong-with-england-and-cricket?fbclid=IwAR0U4nOHJC0LNcUFI7nNCshTv1NcDZmtrgw3qMPg1uTJSAfsQz2Rk0uYFB4_aem_AUNF32vKuIvSMjFoAuGJrFviIXzopk1k9RYaeTb86IHSs0YITRRYqly84eUiVN008JI
    Buttler's actually had more time off than Barney Ronay infers as he has had some weeks off beyond the two periods he mentions e.g. he didn't play for a period of almost four weeks between the 7th July and 2nd August this year. In any event, his work schedule is very much self-inflicted. He didn't have to play in two IPLs, two editions of The Hundred, the SA20 etc etc. He would have had another six months off in that time had he not chosen to do so. Or he could have given up his central contract as Roy had to. 
  • Options
    Sri Lanka's heavy defeat also means it's highly likely that England will be participating in the next Champions Trophy.

England would have to lose by about 280 runs or inside 10 overs for the NRR to fall below Sri Lanka's. That fact, along with the Netherlands' last game being against the unbeaten hosts India, means it's very unlikely that England will fall lower than 8th in the table.
    But surely India will rest players for a "nothing" game and the Netherlands will win easily.....😉.
  • Options
    A fine undefeated 97 (107) from Azmat has enabled Afghanistan to reach 244 all out off their 50. De Kock took six catches for SA. 
  • Options
    SA win by 5 wickets with 15 balls to spare
  • Options
    The guardian’s take on Buttlers drop in form, they think due to his workload. The interesting bit is that he has played in 24 of the last 26 months , and only had a break because of a broken digit. That’s quite a workload .

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/nov/06/jos-buttler-itinerary-what-is-wrong-with-england-and-cricket?fbclid=IwAR0U4nOHJC0LNcUFI7nNCshTv1NcDZmtrgw3qMPg1uTJSAfsQz2Rk0uYFB4_aem_AUNF32vKuIvSMjFoAuGJrFviIXzopk1k9RYaeTb86IHSs0YITRRYqly84eUiVN008JI
    Buttler's actually had more time off than Barney Ronay infers as he has had some weeks off beyond the two periods he mentions e.g. he didn't play for a period of almost four weeks between the 7th July and 2nd August this year. In any event, his work schedule is very much self-inflicted. He didn't have to play in two IPLs, two editions of The Hundred, the SA20 etc etc. He would have had another six months off in that time had he not chosen to do so. Or he could have given up his central contract as Roy had to. 

And it's not as if he has been playing 90 overs a day so can't really accept the defence 

Barney Ronays kids play at Beckenham I think 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Sri Lanka have had their ICC membership suspended following government interference in the Sri Lankan cricket administration.

ICC are meeting later this month to determine the next steps.

This could put the Sri Lanka tour of England next summer in jeopardy: three Test matches scheduled at Old Trafford, Lord's and the Oval.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/nov/10/sri-lanka-suspended-by-icc-over-government-interference

• Options
    Yep, I saw this. I have tickets for the Lord's & Oval Tests. 
  • Options
    Decent enough start by England.

158-2 off 27 overs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking a bit better batting first....
  • Options
    Pakistan doing Pakistan things
  • Options
    Willey signs off as an England batsman with a valuable 15 off 5 balls
  • Options
    England finish on 337-9
  • Options
    Mitchell Marsh warming up for the semis with 177 not out off 132 balls including 17 fours and 9 sixes. Australia beat Bangladesh by 8 wickets 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Pakistan officially eliminated from semi final contention after being unable to catch the target inside seven overs. England officially qualify for the next Champions Trophy following Bangladesh’s heavy defeat to Australia.

Semi finals are

- Weds 15 Nov: India v New Zealand (Mumbai)
    - Thurs 16 Nov: South Africa v Australia (Kolkata)
    - Sun 19 Nov: final (Ahmedabad)
  • Options
    244 all out. England win by 93 runs. 
  • Options
    England's win following Bangladesh delaying the Australian run-chase just about enough eliminates Sri Lanka from the Champions Trophy as well as qualifying England. Netherlands could in theory still catch Bangladesh for the final slot, but they'd need to beat India. Playing with the numbers, I don't think there's any way they could improve their net run rate enough to get ahead via a narrow defeat.
  • Options
    Today showed how we can play. 
    Shame it came too late 
  • Options
    India 410-4
    Netherlands 250 all out

India win by 160 runs and used nine bowlers including Kohli and Sharma who both picked up a wicket
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can't see anyone beating India but it would be hilarious if they got dumped out in the semi's again, and after winning all 9 group games.
  • Options
    I can't see anyone beating India but it would be hilarious if they got dumped out in the semi's again, and after winning all 9 group games.
    As long as South Africa can win the other semi too. NZ would fold like a cheap suit against the Aussies…

India winning it at home is stomachable. Would not enjoy the alternative.
  • Options
    Not long now before the World Cup starts with the first game next Thursday (5th October) with our game against NZ.

From a punting perspective, I'm really not sure if we have the balance or even know what our best team is to win the competition. Bairstow and Root have struggled recently with their form and our most potent bowler in these conditions, Adil Rashid, seems to have lost his "fear factor". For that reason, although I have had a saver on us in case all the stars do align, there isn't that much value with us (4.80 on Betfair). If we talk in terms of value, that walked out the door on the somewhat obvious favourites, India, a long time ago with them currently at 3.25. Australia are all over the place at present and no one ever really know which Pakistan team will turn up at any given time - they lost to India and an extremely average Sri Lankan side in the Asia Cup. 

So, I have gone for the team that is know to man and beast as habitual "bottlers". Yes South Africa. They have lost Nortje and Magala which, at face value, does, especially in the case of the former, appear to be a massive blow. But, actually, Nortje hasn't been in great form in recent times and have managed without him. I have backed SA at 11.00 on Betfair to win it, at 9/2 to reach the final and an England/SA final (16/1) and India/SA final (14/1) - all with Skybet. Now watch SA bottle it in the semi-final!!!

Would be interested to hear other people's perspectives on our chances and who they fancy to win it. 
    Self-fulfilling prophecy? If they don't get to bat first then I do fear for them. 

• Options
    Proposed changes to the World Cup format:  
    • 40 overs per side 
    • Eight overs of powerplay 
    • Five fielders outside 30-yard circle from over nine onwards 
    • One ball per innings 
    • Bonus point for 35 or more boundaries 
    • Bonus point for six or more wickets within 30 overs 
    • Two groups of seven 
    • Top four in each group to progress to quarter finals 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/67366337
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Proposed changes to the World Cup format:  
    • 40 overs per side 
    • One ball per innings 
    • Two groups of seven 
    To clarify - This is just Steve Finn's personal thoughts for revamping the world cup

• Options
    Keep the 50 overs format. 
    We already have a 20 overs world cup and we should not tamper with the 50 overs competition. 
    Instead abolish the Hundred and let the counties play their first team in the domestic competition Instead of their reserves. 

Just my thoughts as I know the Hundred is with us for the next couple of years at least. 
  • Options
    I do miss the 40 over domestic matches. The JP league matches were brisk, with shortened runups and no faffing around between deliveries

T20 is ideal for an evening game but too short for a Sunday afternoon, while 50 over matches can drag slightly. 100 overs is a long day too
  • Options
    I do miss the 40 over domestic matches. The JP league matches were brisk, with shortened runups and no faffing around between deliveries

T20 is ideal for an evening game but too short for a Sunday afternoon, while 50 over matches can drag slightly. 100 overs is a long day too
    I absolutely loved the JPL too. Where else could you see Barry Richards and Gordon Greenidge opening the batting accompanied by the voice of cricket of the time, John Arlott? Unfortunately, my wife has had to have numerous rounds of therapy following a childhood when there was only one TV and being force fed the JPL each and every Sunday afternoon for the course of the summer. I cannot tell you how delighted she was when her one and only son chose to major in that particular sport!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Steve Finn’s Proposed changes to the World Cup format:  
    • 40 overs per side 
    • One ball per innings 
    • Two groups of seven 
    It’s a 50 over competition and it should stay that way IMO. 

Would love to see some actual stats around the number of “close games”.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Steve Finn’s Proposed changes to the World Cup format:  
    • 40 overs per side 
    • One ball per innings 
    • Two groups of seven 
    It’s a 50 over competition and it should stay that way IMO. 

Would love to see some actual stats around the number of “close games”.
    The current version of the world cup is fifty overs, but it hasn't always been. I think Steve Finn has come up with a few sensible suggestions.