Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup

Not long now before the World Cup starts with the first game next Thursday (5th October) with our game against NZ.

From a punting perspective, I'm really not sure if we have the balance or even know what our best team is to win the competition. Bairstow and Root have struggled recently with their form and our most potent bowler in these conditions, Adil Rashid, seems to have lost his "fear factor". For that reason, although I have had a saver on us in case all the stars do align, there isn't that much value with us (4.80 on Betfair). If we talk in terms of value, that walked out the door on the somewhat obvious favourites, India, a long time ago with them currently at 3.25. Australia are all over the place at present and no one ever really know which Pakistan team will turn up at any given time - they lost to India and an extremely average Sri Lankan side in the Asia Cup. 

So, I have gone for the team that is know to man and beast as habitual "bottlers". Yes South Africa. They have lost Nortje and Magala which, at face value, does, especially in the case of the former, appear to be a massive blow. But, actually, Nortje hasn't been in great form in recent times and have managed without him. I have backed SA at 11.00 on Betfair to win it, at 9/2 to reach the final and an England/SA final (16/1) and India/SA final (14/1) - all with Skybet. Now watch SA bottle it in the semi-final!!!

Would be interested to hear other people's perspectives on our chances and who they fancy to win it. 

Comments

• Options
    think a lot of our 2019 stars are passed their white ball prime like bairstow and rashid who at one point could easily say they were the best in the world in their roles. Still think we'll be very strong. Generally if we don't make it to at least the semis id be very disappointed.
  • Options
    Hate to see it happen but i fancy Australia to win. I'm not with those who are backing South Africa . Top four for me are Australia , New Zealand , India and England. 
  • Options
    I can't see anyone other than England or India winning it to be honest.

Because its such a long tournament I actually make England favourites because there is enough time to play the out of form players into form and the pressure will just crank up on India as the weeks tick by.

When you consider how much this England team have won over the last 8 years they still seem to have a lot to prove collectively and, for quite a few, individually.

Come July this group of England players will either go down in history as the greatest white ball team in history or one that went on a year too long.
  • Options
    Hate to see it happen but i fancy Australia to win. I'm not with those who are backing South Africa . Top four for me are Australia , New Zealand , India and England. 
    I can see Pakistan getting through to the Semis.

Aussies have been in poor form, but then would be annoyingly them to turn it on in rhe tournament.

I'll go India winning, England, Pakistan, New Zealand the other Semi finalists.
  • Options
    Do we think we will go for the batting depth or the extra bowler? Personally I’d go with 

Bairstow
    Malan
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler 
    livingstone 
    Moeen 
    Curran
    Woakes (rotate in Topley) 
    Rashid 
    Wood (rotate in Atkinson)

But having Curran at 8 and Woakes 9 means they could maybe leave out Moeen and pick another frontline bowler. I think that will depend on conditions as if it’s spinning then Moeen will probably be just as much a frontline option as an extra pacer 

• Options
    edited September 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Do we think we will go for the batting depth or the extra bowler? Personally I’d go with 

Bairstow
    Malan
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler 
    livingstone 
    Moeen 
    Curran
    Rashid 

But having Curran at 8 and Woakes 9 means they could maybe leave out Moeen and pick another frontline bowler. I think that will depend on conditions as if it’s spinning then Moeen will probably be just as much a frontline option as an extra pacer 

think buttler's said we'd always go with the extra batter (moeen) over a bowler. Rashid, Moeen, Livingstone and root is a decent choice of spin options. Any batting lineup with woakes at 9 is a very strong line up.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

Bairstow
    Malan
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler 
    livingstone 
    Moeen 
    Curran
    Rashid 

That's the team Nasser and Morgan went for . Can't argue with that as basically everyone of those players can bat well. I might mess a little with the order depending on how the game is going at the time . 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

Bairstow
    Malan
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler 
    livingstone 
    Moeen 
    Curran
    Rashid 

That's the team I would pick except I would play either Willey or Topley over Curran.

With 7 bowling option Willey wouldn't have to bowl his 10 overs, which I think is an issue for him, but either of them would give you more penetrantion with the new ball.  With Rashid and Wood at 10 and 11 you shouldn't need Curran's better batting either.  Saying that Willey can bat as well.

• Options
    We will win this.
  • Options
    Is it only being shown on sky sports? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is it only being shown on sky sports? 
    I think there are other live subscription services available but Channel 5 have the rights to show 48 one hour highlights of matches including all of England's games
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Australia also going with experience in their squad

• Options
    Thakur is the lucky mascot presumably
  • Options
    It's interesting that a few years ago, it seemed that ODI sides would really diverge from Test ones, but partially because Test sides have become more attacking, the squads now look very similar.  Of the "strongest" Aussie side in the Ashes only the injured Lyon and Khawaja aren't in their ODI squad, while England's batting is full of Test players., and those like Duckett and Crawley who missed out because of the strength of the team, and not because they were too slow.
  • Options
    All the squads:

Afghanistan squad: Hashmatullah Shahidi (c), Rahmanullah Gurbaz, Ibrahim Zadran, Riaz Hassan, Rahmat Shah, Najibullah Zadran, Mohammad Nabi, Ikram Alikhil, Azmatullah Omarzai, Rashid Khan, Mujeeb ur Rahman, Noor Ahmad, Fazalhaq Farooqi, Abdul Rahman, Naveen ul Haq.

Australia squadPat Cummins (c), Steve Smith, Alex Carey, Josh Inglis, Sean Abbott, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Marnus Labuschagne, Mitch Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, David Warner, Adam Zampa, Mitchell Starc.

Bangladesh squad: Shakib Al Hasan (c), Litton Kumer Das, Tanzid Hasan Tamim, Najmul Hossain Shanto (vc), Tawhid Hridoy, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mahmudullah Riyad, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Nasum Ahmed, Shak Mahedi Hasan, Taskin Ahmed, Mustafizur Rahman, Hasan Mahmud, Shoriful Islam, Tanzim Hasan Sakib.

England squad: Jos Buttler (c), Moeen Ali, Gus Atkinson, Jonny Bairstow, Sam Curran, Liam Livingstone, Dawid Malan, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Ben Stokes, Reece Topley, David Willey, Mark Wood, Chris Woakes.

India squad: Rohit Sharma (c), Hardik Pandya (vc), Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul, Ravindra Jadeja, Shardul Thakur, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Ravichandran Ashwin, Ishan Kishan, Suryakumar Yadav.

Netherlands squad: Scott Edwards (c), Max O'Dowd, Bas de Leede, Vikram Singh, Teja Nidamanuru, Paul van Meekeren, Colin Ackermann, Roelof van der Merwe, Logan van Beek, Aryan Dutt, Ryan Klein, Wesley Barresi, Saqib Zulfiqar, Shariz Ahmad, Sybrand Engelbrecht.

New Zealand squad: Kane Williamson (c), Trent Boult, Mark Chapman, Devon Conway, Lockie Ferguson, Matt Henry, Tom Latham, Daryl Mitchell, Jimmy Neesham, Glenn Phillips, Rachin Ravindra, Mitch Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Will Young.

Pakistan squad: Babar Azam (c), Shadab Khan, Fakhar Zaman, Imam-ul-Haq, Abdullah Shafique, Mohammad Rizwan, Saud Shakeel, Iftikhar Ahmed, Salman Ali Agha, Mohammad Nawaz, Usama Mir, Haris Rauf, Hasan Ali, Shaheen Afridi, Mohammad Wasim.

South Africa squad: Temba Bavuma (c), Gerald Coetzee, Quinton de Kock, Reeza Hendricks, Marco Jansen, Heinrich Klaasen, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, David Miller, Lungi Ngidi, Andile Phehlukwayo, Kagiso Rabada, Tabraiz Shamsi, Rassie van der Dussen, Lizaad Williams.

Sri Lanka Squad: Dasun Shanaka (c), Kusal Mendis (vc), Kusal Perera, Pathum Nissanka, Lahiru Kumara, Dimuth Karunaratne, Sadeera Samarawickrama, Charith Asalanka, Dhananjaya de Silva, Maheesh Theekshana, Dunith Wellalage, Kasun Rajitha, Matheesha Pathirana, Dilshan Madushanka, Dushan Hemantha
  • Options
    It's interesting that a few years ago, it seemed that ODI sides would really diverge from Test ones, but partially because Test sides have become more attacking, the squads now look very similar.  Of the "strongest" Aussie side in the Ashes only the injured Lyon and Khawaja aren't in their ODI squad, while England's batting is full of Test players., and those like Duckett and Crawley who missed out because of the strength of the team, and not because they were too slow.
    I think in the short term the "big" countries will have test players and T20 players (some will be both) and the 50 over team will be picked purely on a clash of the 2.  There is so little List A cricket you can't really pick the team any other way.

The biggest divergence in the teams will be the fast bowlers just so they manage their work load.

• Options
    For those that are interested and aren't aware, England play a warm up game against India commencing at 9.30am. One would assume that we will play as near our starting line up for the opening game against New Zealand on Thursday in this and Monday's other pre tournament match versus Bangladesh,
  • Options
    India won the toss and will bat

Forget that about clues for the possible line up for the first game - it appears that we will be playing as many as possible in the match
  • Options
    And it's chucking it down with rain. Oh well back to the somewhat one sided Ryder Cup it is  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And it's chucking it down with rain. Oh well back to the somewhat one sided Ryder Cup it is  :)
    Rain...??  In India ??  Fancy holding it in a country where the weather is iffy in October. Should have held it in England where its 20° next week 😊.
  • Options
    Match abandoned without a ball being bowled
  • Options
    Hosts scared of giving the Champions elect a proper practice game…
  • Options
    Buttler's lost the toss (again) and Bangladesh will bat
  • Options
    Well that's unique. Bangladesh 8-0 off zero balls courtesy of two no balls and a maximum from Topley. 
  • Options
    Topley has managed to take two wickets despite not looking too well and bowling all over the show - a strangle down the legside and a thick edge down to 3rd man

32-2 off 6 overs
  • Options
    These games are designed to get the mistakes out of the system. Such as Buttler leaving a catch to Root off the bowling of Wood. 

Have to say some of the England players look to be really struggling in either the heat or being under the weather. Or a combination of both.  
  • Options
    153-5 off 30 overs. Rain stopped play. Wood the pick of the nine bowlers utilised.  
  • Options
    Now re-started and a 37 over match. Wicket to Curran and Bangladesh are 160-6 off 32
  • Options
    Have England just been unlucky with the weather for these warm up games, or are they playing in the wrong parts of India?