Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheffield Wednesday - Owner to stop funding club

Comments

• Options
    Scunthorpe owner is proving highly inspirational
  • Options
    A log and rambling statement. Odd timing, though IF he is having to fund the club £2m a month, that's unsustainable.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Callumcafc said: 
    The owner who cried wolf. Don’t believe he’ll follow through on his threats.

Definite Roland vibes though, just needs a couple of {…} ‘s thrown in.
    Reminded me of Roland too.

However, I can understand his perspective whereas I couldn't Roland's. It reads like something has snapped and he's just trying to force fans to be accountable for their own actions. Why should he fund the club if his family is receiving abuse? Owners might put themselves in a position of power but they are still humans.

They got promoted last year so at face value he hasn't done a terrible job. Obviously I don't know the backstory. 

• Options
    Third on the list of clubs I detest the most.

F@#k em.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kafka said:
    Based on that, looking forward to their Sky fixture tonight. Should be a good laugh. Most club fans I would have sympathy for, not that lot. 
    If the owner has to put in £2 million every month and  he’s said he’s not putting any more money in then isn’t that basically saying that anybody on the list of wages, suppliers etc that sheff wed has to pay in order to operate/play games most likely won’t get their money ? Tonight’s game might be in jeopardy if  say the stewards don’t turn up.
  • Options
    Administration here they come.
  • Options
    Too big for him?
  • Options
    Not read it all but got to the ticket price v Attendance bit and immediately thought of that Leo whatshisname who was In cahoots with Sandgaard and released a similar bizarre statement about league table positions and ticket prices.
     Do these people really think they just have to takeover a club. Say they are not the same as 'the old lot' and supporters in their droves will be fighting to get in to watch? It certainly looks that way.
    I'm not sure who these people get to do their due diligence and a history check but their delusions about owning English football clubs is really something.
  • Options
    A log and rambling statement. Odd timing, though IF he is having to fund the club £2m a month, that's unsustainable.
    If anyone doubts the value of having a good comms person in the management team of any biz, try reading that through to the end without losing the will to live. More fool him because there are probably some good points lurking there. 
  • Options
    someone once remarked about funding the America's Cup (yachting) .. 'like standing in a force ten gale and keep letting go of fifty pound notes', (I paraphrase) .. funding a lower league club is a similar experience
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Has ploughed vast amounts of money into the Club during his time there.

It reminded me of a bit of Paul Scally's comments on leaving Gillingham. He'd reached the end of his tether and felt the need to leave. Owners do need to be incredibly thick skinned in the age of social media, and if they can't take the abuse should move on. 

Leaves them ripe for a takeover or admin if he won't pay bills, but in any event what could he realistically get back? Didn't he sell the ground to himself, so it's already separated from the Club. Perhaps he'll try to do a Roland.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Owls coming home to roost!  #HAWHAW
  • Options
    Fuck em
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Nine years of pissing money up the wall. At this level that's a certainty not a maybe. I don't like seeing clubs in trouble, be it Wednesday or Scunthorpe, we have been there and could write the book and I'm not yet convinced that it could not happen again. 
  • Options
    Individuals have their reasons but seeing so many empty hateful remarks here, reminds me of the idiot fans from other clubs who attacked us at times of existential crisis. Not a good look and I had hoped for better.
    I agree.

I don't "hate" any fans or clubs. Obviously dont like Millwall & don't want to see them do well but "hate" ?? 

But then you have vast amount of our fans singing the Adam's family song & fans of other clubs singing vile songs about the Munich and Hillsborough disasters. 

What I will say about Sheff W is that it does take a lot of money to sustain players wages these days & if the funding stops then you are in trouble. Some of their players will be on 3 or 4 times what we are paying our players & last seasons success was built on those (highly paid ) players. Fans of Sheff Wed have to remember that. Success comes at a cost. In football that is a big cost.
  • Options
    If anyone doubts the value of having a good comms person in the management team of any biz, try reading that through to the end without losing the will to live. More fool him because there are probably some good points lurking there. 
    Very poorly written statement, but such individuals do tend to be of the "I want my words out there" mindset.
  • Options
    I'm actually on the owner's side, and felt the same with how our fans treated Sandgaard.

All our clubs are not self funding. They need someone to inject money to keep them alive, with very little chance of getting it back. If I was doing that and getting personal abuse for it, I would also think "fuck em then".

Fans are too entitled for the economic climate the clubs have to work within, and 3 teams have to get relegated.
    Don't think its as Black and White, in terms of picking sides.

But there has to be a reset in mindsets across the entire Sport - Sandgaard, even our current owners are getting stick because they want to try and breakeven in League One, but we're being told its impossible.

It might be that, but Football surely cant survive with the approach of throwing money at the problem - There needs to be some mass agreement between owners, to pull the handbrake, before the inevitable crash eventually happens... Wasn't too long ago, clubs needed Millionaires to own them... Now they need Billionaires

Equally we seem to be getting to the point where Narcissistic owners are jumping on board at clubs, because they think they can make a quick buck and piss off again.

Scunthorpe the latest victim of that case.