Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheffield Wednesday - Owner to stop funding club

Comments

• Options
    " For example, some fans have said the ticket price is too high. I have explained this many times in forums. For example, the prices can be lower if we have enough guaranteed volume."

Has he considered that if he lowered the prices a bit then the volume would probably increase? I saw something online last week that they were charging fans almost 50 quid for the Sunderland game, which of course was live on tv.
  • Options
    It’s a classic example of why football is in such a sorry state. These egotistical owners with money to burn like Chansiri, Sandgaard and others bask in the adoration and glory until they get fed or get criticised and pissed off throwing money away or realise the whole idea was bollox. It’s boom and bust ad infinitum. It’s one of the reasons why I reluctantly admire clubs like Millwall who are stable and have shown that slow steady organic growth is the best way. Yes it might not be spectacular or instant but it’s safe and Millwall proved last season that it can work. They came so close to achieving the impossible. Still too early to say which route SE7 is taking but as much as I’d have been excited for them to have splashed the cash, I’d certainly take a steady year on year improvement built on solid foundations. Wednesday will now get sold and the likelihood is that another egomaniac will take the reins to a fanfare of trumpets until in a few seasons it all goes tits up again. 

Berylson has sunk £100M into Millwall and all last season proved is that that can buy you 7th in the Championship and miss out on a play off spot, during one of the Championships poorest quality seasons.  If that is safe, successful and solid foundations then it says a lot about football in 2023.
    That £100 million though is over 17 years I think. Works out about £6 million a year over that period. Still have no idea as to why anybody would want to spend that sort of money but Millwall are as probably as stable a club as you could hope for. Depends I guess how you’d define success but in the John Berylson era he’s turned Millwall from a generally third teir team into an established Championship one. They’ll finish top half Championship again. Don’t quite see them challenging top six this term but they won’t be that far off. Probably as close as we’ll be a league lower. 
  • Options
    Yes I know it's a tiny minority... but how many other clubs' fans have done this when playing Sunderland?

I don't blame the owner if the abuse he gets is on this level.
  • Options
    Not quite sure this guy has been pumping money in, it's probably more like loans and didn't they sponsor themselves and sold their ground to themselves too? Hence the (delayed) points deduction? They must've really overspent the last couple of years too so FFP might be catching up. Others on here will know more. As always, fans are happy when it's going well on the pitch and will ignore this stuff...until it goes tits up! I agree with the sentiment of some on here. They've cheated consistently and have avoided real sanctions, so fuck em. I have sympathy for Scunthorpe as that is way out of the fans control and the owners seem to have conspired to fuck them over for their own gain. Either way for both clubs it's a massive shame. I reckon Wednesday will be fine, but fear Scunthorpe may be fucked 
  • Options
    Are they laughing at a picture of that poor boy befriended by Jermaine Defoe?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I think so.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    Yes I know it's a tiny minority... but how many other clubs' fans have done this when playing Sunderland?

Looks like their Facebook accounts have already been identified on that twitter thread.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    YTS1978 said:
    Not quite sure this guy has been pumping money in, it's probably more like loans and didn't they sponsor themselves and sold their ground to themselves too? Hence the (delayed) points deduction? They must've really overspent the last couple of years too so FFP might be catching up. Others on here will know more. As always, fans are happy when it's going well on the pitch and will ignore this stuff...until it goes tits up! I agree with the sentiment of some on here. They've cheated consistently and have avoided real sanctions, so fuck em. I have sympathy for Scunthorpe as that is way out of the fans control and the owners seem to have conspired to fuck them over for their own gain. Either way for both clubs it's a massive shame. I reckon Wednesday will be fine, but fear Scunthorpe may be fucked 
    Whether it's through issues of equity or in the form of a loan, it's still injecting money into the Club. Who's money do you think they were overspending?

There is no set repayment date on the loans, and they are at 0% interest AFAIK, which seems generous to me. It's not uncommon either, and should not be taken as a sign of a bad owner, not all of whom are on the take. I think we get overly cynical because we've had some bad 'uns in the recent past, especially Southall.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Looks like their Facebook accounts have already been identified on that twitter thread.
    Good absolute scum lets put this all over social media and get these pricks court. I’d love to get my hands on these scum cuts.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Looks like it.

Wednesday fans in general have always been cnuts 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    If genuine those two are total scumbags but can't help feeling it looks a bit photoshopped to me.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    The scum are losing fortunes as well , I’m sure I heard they lost £13m in the last season or one or two before it .
    there is no magic way to not haemorrhage 
    The scum are losing fortunes as well , I’m sure I heard they lost £13m in the last season or one or two before it .
    there is no magic way to not haemorrhage 
    We lost 13 mill the COVID season. Usually it’s around the 6 to 8 mill mark. Luckily the Berylsons seem happy to cover it and are putting things in place to hopefully make us more sustainable in the future. 
  • Options
    If genuine those two are total scumbags but can't help feeling it looks a bit photoshopped to me.
    It’s genuine. Utter scum
  • Options
    I did think that too but I did a little digging.

It's made national news now
    https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2023-09-30/investigation-launched-into-reports-fans-mocked-bradley-lowery-at-football-game
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Either way this is a deplorable act that will be punished. The two supporters have been identified, and police are speaking to them.

Zoom in on the photo. Some major red flags …… an almost un pixelated image on a phone on a photo taken at distance….. the guys fingers also seems to vanish over the top of the photo. 

Also rumours that the guy in the background has been identified and wasn’t even at the game.

So we either have two wrong uns or a wrong un running a photo shop.

End result is a tonne of hurt to the child’s family and someone will be punished either way.

And IF it isn’t genuine - two guys have been named and tried already.

Sure all will be confirmed either way soon.

Maybe I am just trying to believe no person can stoop so low at a football match.
  • Options
    Either way this is a deplorable act that will be punished. The two supporters have been identified, and police are speaking to them.

Zoom in on the photo. Some major red flags …… an almost un pixelated image on a phone on a photo taken at distance….. the guys fingers also seems to vanish over the top of the photo. 

Also rumours that the guy in the background has been identified and wasn’t even at the game.

So we either have two wrong uns or a wrong un running a photo shop.

End result is a tonne of hurt to the child’s family and someone will be punished either way.

And IF it isn’t genuine - two guys have been named and tried already.

Sure all will be confirmed either way soon.

Maybe I am just trying to believe no person can stoop so low at a football match.
    His fingers don’t disappear. He’s just holding his phone in such a way that his fingers aren’t in the way of the screen. He’s holding the edge of the phone. It’s clear to see. 
  • Options
    Am sure Police will be able to tell if its real or not... You can delete shit from your devices, but doesn't mean its truly gone. 

Hell even I've accidentally deleted Images of my Son from my Phone and Computer in the past, and have been able to use easy Software to get them back. 
  • Options
    What an utterly horrible act by some gross fans. Thoroughly shameful and I hope Sheff Wed take appropriate action. 

Is this what the police is for though? 
  • Options
    Police have arrested 2 people over the incident 
  • Options
    I think the real issue is that Wednesday haven't taken advantage of promotion. It was a bit like us with Roland having a row with Bowyer, wanting to do it all on the cheap and Moore clearly didn't feel he was being supported properly. When you own a football club, you get a bit of momentum and sometimes that is the time when you need to fork out and ride it rather than stop it. 
  • Options
    This is quite common north of the border. Words escape me.

• Options
    Police have arrested 2 people over the incident 
    As punishment make them walk the streets of Sunderland while holding up their phone. 
  • Options
    I think the real issue is that Wednesday haven't taken advantage of promotion. It was a bit like us with Roland having a row with Bowyer, wanting to do it all on the cheap and Moore clearly didn't feel he was being supported properly. When you own a football club, you get a bit of momentum and sometimes that is the time when you need to fork out and ride it rather than stop it. 
    Spend even more money you mean? And then what?
  • Options
    Owning a football club must be one of the most thankless jobs in the world. 

Anyone willing to do it should automatically be declared unfit to do so.