Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Cup 23/24 Thread

Comments

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Lisbie jr scored twice today for Cray Valley 
    As well as yesterday?
  • Options
    Hopefully the club will get behind the marketing of this tie, based on local derby and the Lisbie connection ramp it up start early and do some ticket deals
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    Hopefully the club will get behind the marketing of this tie, based on local derby and the Lisbie connection ramp it up start early and do some ticket deals
    Can’t do deals for FA Cup ties and I believe ticket prices have to be agreed by both clubs and the FA.
  • Options
    An all northern hemisphere classic in prospect.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
  • Options
    This will struggle to hit 4k, which is shame for such an interesting tie. 
  • Options
    You can’t really do ticket deals in the FA Cup as there is a minimum adult ticket price. It’s not specified what it is in the rules but I’m guessing £10 for the first round. You can probably do £1 for kids, but I doubt it’s a game that will attract them. There is a limit of 50 comps per club.

The harsh reality is that the low ticket prices and revenue split make it unrewarding to promote by comparison with league matches. I suspect CVPM will do well to make £10k-plus out of the receipts, which is a shame.

In any event, the club will no doubt close every section of the ground it can to ensure as many people as possible are put off, as per.

I do think it’s an interesting draw though. Lots of very dull ties we could have had.
    Excuse my naivete but why would the club want to put off people from attending?
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    But massively more than Cray Valley normally play in front of. Indeed a 4 figure attendance must be a rarity in their history.
  • Options
    You can’t really do ticket deals in the FA Cup as there is a minimum adult ticket price. It’s not specified what it is in the rules but I’m guessing £10 for the first round. You can probably do £1 for kids, but I doubt it’s a game that will attract them. There is a limit of 50 comps per club.

The harsh reality is that the low ticket prices and revenue split make it unrewarding to promote by comparison with league matches. I suspect CVPM will do well to make £10k-plus out of the receipts, which is a shame.

In any event, the club will no doubt close every section of the ground it can to ensure as many people as possible are put off, as per.

I do think it’s an interesting draw though. Lots of very dull ties we could have had.
    I think Airman is saying that the club looking to close stands with the intention to save cash on stewarding/electricity/catering etc... would put people off by default. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Their home crowds this season...

• Options
    Their home crowds this season...

We'll get 4,000 for this and they'll lap up the experience.  Good luck to them.
    Into the bargain saving on hotel and travelling costs.
  • Options
    This game will be in the Sunday .. I expect 
  • Options
    Let's hope the ref is strong and they don't have the twin of the muppet at Dartford.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

I think Airman is saying that the club looking to close stands with the intention to save cash on stewarding/electricity/catering etc... would put people off by default. 
    So measures being put in place to save money then, not to ensure that people are put off. Not quite the same thing in my book.

Some won't be able to sit where they like to is what it boils down to, but for those that do attend, I'm sure they will be catered for on the day.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Stewarding, mainly. The stands are lit in any case if conditions require it and the catering isn’t a cost. Cleaning, maybe.

The cost of opening the AC Stand is circa £1,500 (in effect £675 per club for FA Cup games). If we assume the average net revenue per spectator is £6 then 250 extra fans pays for it. In practice, you could probably squeeze the cost down for these games. It’s also likely that catering receipts per spectator fall when you introduce more congestion in the lower west as people can’t get served or don’t bother to queue - although the impact of catering profit is trivial, it goes 100% to Charlton, whereas the cost of stewarding etc is shared along with the ticket revenue.

The stewarding cost for opening the upper covered end isn’t very significant because it shares exit routes with the lower covered end. I’d be very confident closing that deters people from coming, as does the approach of shutting stands in general. 

This is why the club was less inclined to close so many stands in the past. I think cramming people into the lower west damages the atmosphere and reinforces the perception that the games don’t matter, but obviously there’s a balance. It’s not unreasonable to shut the quadrants or the upper west (although the extra stewarding cost there is tiny). 

The trophy games will never matter regardless but I think not having fans on four sides of the pitch for the FA Cup, however few, is generally a false economy based on a misunderstanding of the effect. Or, just as likely, no one in charge cares.

There were probably not many more than 6,000-7,000 home fans in the ground for Fleetwood, Exeter, etc, so I’d argue that you can create an atmosphere with a scattered crowd. The cup gates have to be real, so the difference between them and the league ones isn’t as great as presented.

Thanks both. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Maybe I’m wrong but I think the fact that this is such a local game will bring lots of people to it as a fun day out. Reckon it’ll have a good atmosphere. Great one to bring kids to.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Maybe I’m wrong but I think the fact that this is such a local game will bring lots of people to it as a fun day out. Reckon it’ll have a good atmosphere. Great one to bring kids to.
    Hope you’re right. It’s uncharted territory so it’s a hard one to predict.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    RC_CAFC said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Id love to think so, but the proportion of Charlton fans who aren't as engaged with the club as those who post on CharltonLife is huge, and many of those simply don't care about playing a non league team in a cup we are unlikely to win.
  • Options
    Anyone in the Prediction League might want to start thinking about their prediction for this one. I find this sort of game hard to guess.
  • Options
    Wouldn't be too surprised if quite a few youngsters feature in the game. 
  • Options
    addick19 said:
    Wouldn't be too surprised if quite a few youngsters feature in the game. 
    We will have played Wigan away on the Tuesday so I am sure this will also have a bearing on the team. Would be the 3rd game in a 8 days for those who were to play all 3. So only those with no niggles likely to be risked.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Stewarding, mainly. The stands are lit in any case if conditions require it and the catering isn’t a cost. Cleaning, maybe.

The cost of opening the AC Stand is circa £1,500 (in effect £675 per club for FA Cup games). If we assume the average net revenue per spectator is £6 then 250 extra fans pays for it. In practice, you could probably squeeze the cost down for these games. It’s also likely that catering receipts per spectator fall when you introduce more congestion in the lower west as people can’t get served or don’t bother to queue - although the impact of catering profit is trivial, it goes 100% to Charlton, whereas the cost of stewarding etc is shared along with the ticket revenue.

The stewarding cost for opening the upper covered end isn’t very significant because it shares exit routes with the lower covered end. I’d be very confident closing that deters people from coming, as does the approach of shutting stands in general. 

This is why the club was less inclined to close so many stands in the past. I think cramming people into the lower west damages the atmosphere and reinforces the perception that the games don’t matter, but obviously there’s a balance. It’s not unreasonable to shut the quadrants or the upper west (although the extra stewarding cost there is tiny). 

The trophy games will never matter regardless but I think not having fans on four sides of the pitch for the FA Cup, however few, is generally a false economy based on a misunderstanding of the effect. Or, just as likely, no one in charge cares.

There were probably not many more than 6,000-7,000 home fans in the ground for Fleetwood, Exeter, etc, so I’d argue that you can create an atmosphere with a scattered crowd. The cup gates have to be real, so the difference between them and the league ones isn’t as great as presented.

The ‘catering’ arrangements particularly piss me off. They’re generally poor at the best of times but sink to new lows for cup matches. From memory, I think we only had one kiosk open at one point in the lower north for an fa cup game last season and that was the one nearest the entrance so clearly not the most convenient place to encourage excessive queuing.

on the ‘bright’ side of that I guess somebody with a spreadsheet will be able to point at the sales numbers and declare there isn’t a demand for drinks at cup games and the club should probably not bother opening any kiosks at all
  • Options
    It would be good if Charlton could get a few more through the door for a local club, make them a few quid, or am I dreaming.
  • Options
    I didn't know Cray was as close as they are, so hopefully word will spread and people will get enthused. 
  • Options
    Just hope we have decent numbers turn out, and not embarrass ourselves! Great local draw 
  • Options
    Seeing as this mob are all about saving money.  Block A and B open in the CE and one block open in the JS.  Also 10 hotdogs,  5 packets if salt n vineger crisps and a 1 urn of hot water between the lot of em!