Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Cup 23/24 Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2023
    To add to context CVPM's next fixture after us will be in the league at home to Erith and Belvedere (Sat, 11th Nov).
  • Options
    Seeing as this mob are all about saving money.  Block A and B open in the CE and one block open in the JS.  Also 10 hotdogs,  5 packets if salt n vineger crisps and a 1 urn of hot water between the lot of em!
    but how many chips?
  • Options
    Seeing as this mob are all about saving money.  Block A and B open in the CE and one block open in the JS.  Also 10 hotdogs,  5 packets if salt n vineger crisps and a 1 urn of hot water between the lot of em!
    but how many chips?
    Pretty sure they were not serving chips at the fa cup games last season. 
  • Options
    Must be the first 'Valley' to play at The Valley.
  • Options
    I'd quite happily pay a tenner into the CVPM coffers to not have to sit through 90 excruciating mins of watching us against another lower league side in the cup

I'll admit it's a slightly more interesting tie than normal - but only marginally cause they are down the road and I've actually played on their ground

Hope they make as much money as they can from it
  • Options
    addick19 said:
    Wouldn't be too surprised if quite a few youngsters feature in the game. 
    In view of them having a home game the following Tuesday, I can see that happening.
  • Options
    I'd quite happily pay a tenner into the CVPM coffers to not have to sit through 90 excruciating mins of watching us against another lower league side in the cup

I'll admit it's a slightly more interesting tie than normal - but only marginally cause they are down the road and I've actually played on their ground

Stockport were two tiers down on Cafc whereas Cray Valley Paper mills are 5 levels down if I have done my sums correct as they are in the Isthmian South East division. 

League 2, National League, NL south, Isthmian prem, Isthmian SE division.

I would like to see both Leaburn and Kanu in tandem for this match. Daniel Kanu didn't play for Southend so he isn't cup tied.

What is the lowest ranked team we have played in the FA cup in recent memory ?

• Options
    cafctom said:
    To put it into some context, there are over 700 clubs that go into the FA Cup each year. 

Cray Valley PM had to play eight games just to get to a point to be in the 1st Round draw when you factor in qualifying rounds and replays. 

The chances of us drawing a club at their level (8th tier) is very small. For it to be the club down the road is pretty remarkable. 

This game will be a proper one off.
    They're the closest possible opponents from any league - FA Cup covers the top nine tiers - so it's quite something. 

Turns out Athletic Newham of the Essex Senior League are almost as near as the crow flies - anyone ever been to the Terence McMillan Stadium in Plaistow? - and got knocked out by Tooting & Mitcham in the extra preliminary round. But that doesn't feel quite as close!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Stockport were two tiers down on Cafc whereas Cray Valley Paper mills are 5 levels down if I have done my sums correct as they are in the Isthmian South East division. 

I would like to see both Leaburn and Kanu in tandem for this match. Daniel Kanu didn't play for Southend so he isn't cup tied.

Don't think we can recall Kanu just to play in a cup game can we?
  • Options

Don't think we can recall Kanu just to play in a cup game can we?
    He's only on loan for 28-days at the moment.

So unless the loan gets extended - He'll be back on Friday 3rd November, the day I imagine, the first FA Cup game gets played
  • Options
    Seen Cray Valley PM play my local side East Grinstead Town a couple of times. Amazingly impressive for them to reach the 1st round again!
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    On paper Cray Valley must have a chance.
    I'm confident we'll pulp their hopes of progressing.
  • Options
    Would expect a bit of a mix and match side for this , few youngsters (maybe a good chance to see Bower and Casey?) and anyone that needs minutes, don't want to see Leaburn,Aneke or May anywhere near the side. 

• Options

Stockport were in league 2 last season when they beat us.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Would expect a bit of a mix and match side for this , few youngsters (maybe a good chance to see Bower and Casey?) and anyone that needs minutes, don't want to see Leaburn,Aneke or May anywhere near the side. 

Surely even if we played a mix of reserves and kids it would be enough. I'd like to think we won't need any of the first XI for this, although i'd expect some on the bench just in case.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To put it into context... Cray Valley are one level lower than Coalville Town who we beat 4-1 @ the Valley last season in the First Round.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    On paper Cray Valley must have a chance.
    They'll be well aware that we fold very easily in cups.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Surely even if we played a mix of reserves and kids it would be enough. I'd like to think we won't need any of the first XI for this, although i'd expect some on the bench just in case.

Yeah I'd expect a fairly young side with a few more experienced players - maybe if Camara is needing mins or something. Maybe something like 

AMB

T.Watson Ness Thomas Bower

Camara Anderson Adigun

Rylah Kanu Kirk 
  • Options
    Our U18 side beat CVPM FC 3-2 in a preseason game at Eltham. Surely any mixture of our u18/u21s should be able to do the job.
  • Options
    Anyone in the Prediction League might want to start thinking about their prediction for this one. I find this sort of game hard to guess.
    Should be something along the lines of 
    Margate v Tottenham 3rd a number of years ago 0-10
    Pity the FA Cup is not taken seriously anymore.
  • Options
    Did Margate field a weakened side then?
  • Options
    Their home crowds this season...

We'll get 4,000 for this and they'll lap up the experience.  Good luck to them.
    Into the bargain saving on hotel and travelling costs.
    Yes, they can use the A2 (as opposed to the A3, A4 or A5)
    That deserves more LOLs
  • Options
    Has the same appeal to me as the pizza cup and all that other rubbish - a reserve game that will be as dull as - years ago I may have gone, not now