Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Malta - 19:45 - Channel 4 (and free ticket!)

Comments

• Options
    I feel like I'm having to put effort into watching this game. 
  • Options
    Kane hold up play should be the manual for all young players. It’s insane
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    They're saying Kane kicked the keeper, not that the keeper tripped Kane. Don't know if I agree but that's the rationale.
    VAR didn't even check it did they?

They will have had a look and decided no need for a full process.
    "they will have a look"

play didn't stop and the ref didn't signal for any check at all did he?

VAR is watching the game and will let the ref know if a check is required. It's not the referee who engages VAR and asks them to have a look.

Play did stop, for almost a minute. It restarted because VAR didn't think there was a clear and obvious error not to award a penalty (and it can't intervene on yellow cards).
    you think that was the correct decsion then? just wondering

Think it could've gone either way. I'd have been pissed off if it was given against us but would've begrudging admitted that the strike was clever to initiate contact and win the penalty.

If the pen was given, I don't think the VAR intervenes either btw.
    is it a booking then? The ref had the option to stop play and view it back to make that decision - he immediately brandished a yellow for simulation he didn't give VAR enough time to say it was a dive did he
  • Options
    DULL, DULL, BORING
  • Options
    Just two shots (Malta have had one more) and not one on target from us. We have been so slow and predictable. It's almost as if we are scared to pick the pace up in case we give the ball away. There again, our touch and ability to play simple passes at times has really deserted us so perhaps that is the reason why. The likes of Guardiola, Klopp and De Zerbi would be doing their nut had their sides put in a first half performance like that against an opposition so inferior to their respective teams. 
  • Options
    This performance will satisfy the part timers and they can fill their boots. But, it has been shocking.
  • Options
    England's performance is as boring and annoying as Dion Dublin's comments. 
  • Options
    Just two shots (Malta have had one more) and not one on target from us. We have been so slow and predictable. It's almost as if we are scared to pick the pace up in case we give the ball away. There again, our touch and ability to play simple passes at times has really deserted us so perhaps that is the reason why. The likes of Guardiola, Klopp and De Zerbi would be doing their nut had their sides put in a first half performance like that against an opposition so inferior to their respective teams. 
    Why would Southgate not be unhappy with it? He’s shown his disapproval at performances before.
  • Options
    Waaaaaaaaay the paper planes have arrived! One of the dullest halves of football I've seen in a long time.

Bloody Maguire! 😉
  • Options
    Good half. Not many teams will pick up points against Malta. Just need to shut up shop now and see the game out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    for clarity Callum, what i'm saying is the ref didn't give VAR time to tell him anything about what happened, he made his mind up straight away that it was simulation.
  • Options
    Stop moaning all of you.
    England will win by at least 3
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    We really have some very ordinary players, but Christ what are the officials on, he seems bent to me, just waiting for a Malta penalty .

Channel 4s coverage and experts are crap.
  • Options
    Stop moaning all of you.
    They probably will. But the first half was still proper shit.
  • Options
    Missing Bellingham but that really shouldn’t be an excuse.
  • Options
    Why would Southgate not be unhappy with it? He’s shown his disapproval at performances before.
    He might well be unhappy with it too. But all of those managers I've mentioned show their disapproval from the side and galvanise their teams. He has also picked this team and set them up. You, yourself, rightly said that it looked like we were going to play a 3-4-3 but, instead, we are playing a back four with Tomori at left back and TAA in midfield. That, to me, would have been a better usage of the players that he's picked.  
  • Options
    for clarity Callum, what i'm saying is the ref didn't give VAR time to tell him anything about what happened, he made his mind up straight away that it was simulation.

Yeah I agree with you on that and the ref could've done better because I think the yellow was harsh. But I don't think VAR was wrong to let it go, remembering that they have no authority to overturn yellow cards.
  • Options
    it’s it’s like having a team of Kirk’s.
  • Options
    It was shit and totally deserves to be highlighted. But Southgate will see it, the players will hear about it and this is a different England side. Guehi and Tomori are decent defenders but they ain’t quick enough on the ball. He’s tried something, it ain’t worked, we improve for it. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Stop moaning all of you.
    They probably will. But the first half was still proper shit.
    So was our first half at cray.
    Ended up OK though 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He might well be unhappy with it too. But all of those managers I've mentioned show their disapproval from the side and galvanise their teams. He has also picked this team and set them up. You, yourself, rightly said that it looked like we were going to play a 3-4-3 but, instead, we are playing a back four with Tomori at left back and TAA in midfield. That, to me, would have been a better usage of the players that he's picked.  
    Yep and it ain’t worked for reasons I highlighted above. But it’s something he tried. You got two world class midfielders missing and a 3 instead of a 4 at the back against a team that sits back. It’s trial and error no more. It ain’t good enough but it’s not the end of the world, which seems to be the rhetoric whenever England play back for 45 minutes.
  • Options

Yeah I agree with you on that and the ref could've done better because I think the yellow was harsh. But I don't think VAR was wrong to let it go, remembering that they have no authority to overturn yellow cards.
    Yeah and that is my entire point - the ref decided he was right. If VAR is there to look at close decisions, then VAR failed here because the ref thought he saw it better and he was wrong, and VAR did not pull him up on that because they couldn't due to stupid rules about yellow cards not effecting games when they clearly do. 

• Options
    Good substitutions 
  • Options
    So for those of us following the game solely through here, is it 1-0 thanks to an own goal? Thanks in advance..
  • Options
    So for those of us following the game solely through here, is it 1-0 thanks to an own goal? Thanks in advance..
    Yep
  • Options
    Yes
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    what i'm saying is, if VAR deemed this a penalty, or the ref came to the screen to look at it, AFTER the yellow card had been given (prompted by VAR) then deemed it to actually NOT be a dive, and he gave the pen, then the yellow has to be discarded surely?

or does the awarding of a yellow card immediately mean that VAR cannot even check the decision of if it was a penalty or not? 
  • Options
    Does Maguire think we’re playing in red? Keeps finding Maltese players.
  • Options
    am i being crazy? Is VAR busted tonight?
  • Options
    This is as bad as watching us at home to Cray Valley

its a real effort to not turn over at the moment