Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2024

Comments

• Options
    Updated squad:

Bats:
    Compton
    Crawley
    DBD
    Denly (Joe)
    Leaning
    Muyeye
    O'Riordan

Keepers:
    Billings
    Finch

Spinners:
    Denly (Jaydn) 
    Parkinson
    Qadri

Seamers:
    Agar
    Bartlett
    Bhuiyan
    Cohen (out for season)
    Evison
    Garrett
    Gilchrist
    Klaassen
    Quinn
    Singh
    Stewart
    Stobo
    Swanepoel
  • Options
    Stobo sounds like an Aussie nickname. I wonder what they shorten it too  :D
  • Options
    That is seamer number 14 in a squad of 25. He is a real left field signing - he made his debut in FC cricket in 2016 but it is in the last couple of years that he has come to the fore hence only having 18 FC matches to his name at the age of 29. 
    Seems very much like a premier league club overseas signing. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    That is seamer number 14 in a squad of 25. He is a real left field signing - he made his debut in FC cricket in 2016 but it is in the last couple of years that he has come to the fore hence only having 18 FC matches to his name at the age of 29. 
    Three years ago he played a number of games for Durham 2s whilst playing club cricket up there but didn't earn himself a contract. Unfortunately, it is the pool that we are fishing in but, that said, his Sheffield Shield return is OK rather than spectacular.

He does give us more opportunities for rotation but also indicates that perhaps some of the seamers aren't considered either fit or good enough as yet.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Three years ago he played a number of games for Durham 2s whilst playing club cricket up there but didn't earn himself a contract. Unfortunately, it is the pool that we are fishing in but, that said, his Sheffield Shield return is OK rather than spectacular.

He does give us more opportunities for rotation but also indicates that perhaps some of the seamers aren't considered either fit or good enough as yet.
    But also says our seamers are not very good!
  • Options
    Kent 2s 218 all out with no notable scores albeit that Muyeye made 41

One positive is the fact that Vish Parakirama is the another replacement for us in the game. Vish is a Dartford GS/Bromley CC lad who is  in the Academy as a batsman/spinner and who has always played above his age group. Unfortunately, Vish had to miss the whole of last season as a result of injury so it's great to see him back in action. 
  • Options

One positive is the fact that Vish Parakirama is the another replacement for us in the game. Vish is a Dartford GS/Bromley CC lad who is  in the Academy as a batsman/spinner and who has always played above his age group. Unfortunately, Vish had to miss the whole of last season as a result of injury so it's great to see him back in action. 
    Vish is a good player but can be a bit cocky every now and then....
  • Options

Yet another success from DGS ! 

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Daniel Kanu & now, the up coming Vish Parakirama.

And not forgetting @MrOneLung & our very own Tim Huelin..... :)
  • Options

Adam Gemili went there as well .i don’t think that Keef was a pupil there though. 
  • Options

Adam Gemili went there as well .i don’t think that Keef was a pupil there though. 
    Correct

plus Kent spinner Min Patel, rugby player Topsy Ojo, Charlton legend Derek Ufton. And yours truly  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    OK, OK ! It was supposed to be tongue in cheek ! 

I should have remembered Adam Gemili as his family moved in a few doors from us and across the road from @MrOneLung's family.

And I think Min Patel was there around the same time as our son. 

When did you leave, @killerandflash?
  • Options
    Middx declared on 221-6. Interestingly, yet another young Tejpal Birdi of Blackheath CC was drafted in too and took 4-54. In reply we are 15-2 (Perera and nightwatchman Jas the men out) and require 360 off 96 overs tomorrow to win. 
  • Options
    OK, OK ! It was supposed to be tongue in cheek ! 

I should have remembered Adam Gemili as his family moved in a few doors from us and across the road from @MrOneLung's family.

And I think Min Patel was there around the same time as our son. 

When did you leave, @killerandflash?
  • Options
    Min Patel was year above me (I started 82 and started doing A levelsbut left at end of  lower sixth in 88 )

our paths may have crossed @killerandflash
  • Options
    I was 1980 to 1987
  • Options
    My wife went to the Dartford Girls GS. Seb played at the boys school for Bexley about seven or eight years ago and my wife was looking at some of the photos on the wall, taking great delight at expressing the fact that she used to know this boy and then that boy. She seemed to lose her sense of humour when I asked her why those specific photos were in black and white.  

Anyway, when I first started playing cricket as a teenager for Sidcup CC the captain of the then 5th XI was a certain Dr Walter Bennett. He wasn't a doctor but had a doctorate in German which he taught at Dartford Boys GS. His one real claim to fame was that he taught Mick Jagger. 

Walter carried on playing well into his 70s - he used to take loads of wickets, especially those of teenagers only to happy to give it up to a hand grenade bowled by Walter but each year his deliveries would get slower and slower and his arm progressively lower and lower. In the end the Committee had to retire him because he became a danger to the keeper from a ball being smacked down the legside or even worse the flailing bat of the hitter. 

Walter was also a Surrey CC member and used to go to as many games as possible. That wasn't all though. He always had his kit bag in the boot of his car. Just in case Surrey were one short. Even in his 80s. God bless Walter. 
  • Options
    I was 1980 to 1987
    Our son started in '86 .

I went to DGGS ( soon after it opened  B) as did our daughter, from '89 -'96.

Anyway, back to the KCCC thread & watching our 4 day match on Sky starting on Friday.
  • Options
    My wife went to the Dartford Girls GS. Seb played at the boys school for Bexley about seven or eight years ago and my wife was looking at some of the photos on the wall, taking great delight at expressing the fact that she used to know this boy and then that boy. She seemed to lose her sense of humour when I asked her why those specific photos were in black and white.  

Anyway, when I first started playing cricket as a teenager for Sidcup CC the captain of the then 5th XI was a certain Dr Walter Bennett. He wasn't a doctor but had a doctorate in German which he taught at Dartford Boys GS. His one real claim to fame was that he taught Mick Jagger. 

Walter carried on playing well into his 70s - he used to take loads of wickets, especially those of teenagers only to happy to give it up to a hand grenade bowled by Walter but each year his deliveries would get slower and slower and his arm progressively lower and lower. In the end the Committee had to retire him because he became a danger to the keeper from a ball being smacked down the legside or even worse the flailing bat of the hitter. 

Walter was also a Surrey CC member and used to go to as many games as possible. That wasn't all though. He always had his kit bag in the boot of his car. Just in case Surrey were one short. Even in his 80s. God bless Walter. 
    One spring term at DGS Graham Clinton did a bit of PE/games teaching (not cricket).

He was playing for Surrey at that point, those halcyon days when cricketers joined Surrey because they couldn't get in the dominant Kent team!
  • Options
    14 named for the Lancashire game starting tomorrow. A reminder that the game will be on Sky Sports Mix though I suspect that they will be utilising stream footage rather than it being a Sky production

• Options
    O'Riordan seems to have reappeared out of nowhere. I'd have thought Jaydn was ahead of him this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

One spring term at DGS Graham Clinton did a bit of PE/games teaching (not cricket).

He was playing for Surrey at that point, those halcyon days when cricketers joined Surrey because they couldn't get in the dominant Kent team!
    Clinton was ex Hurstmere and Chis and Sid I believe. 
  • Options
    Keith Richards went to Dartford Technical High School (now I believe Wilmington Grammar). It was where the highly respected Headmaster Mr Wall politely suggested to Keith, as he was not in regular attendance anyway (truancy), he might make better use of his time and talents outside his Academic establishment.

It was the year before I joined. I did have the same music teacher Mr “Jake” Clare, a very affable if on too many occasions somewhat flustered member of staff. Sadly I have no musical ability whatsoever

I did have the pleasure of knowing several Old Dartfordians when playing Cricket for them in the late 60s and early 70s before going to college and then moving away. They also had a lot of connections to the now defunct Darenth Heathside Football Club, (Greater London League, Spartan League and Kent League which played at Horton Kirby.

One of them did recount Mick Jagger was in the “Air Cadets” at DGS
  • Options
    edited May 2

Clinton was ex Hurstmere and Chis and Sid I believe. 
    He was a prefect at Chis & Sid when I was in the second year and once threatened to give me detention. Next time I spoke to him was some 40 years later when he invited my son (who was also at Chis & Sid at the time) to go on an overseas tour with his Academy. 

Like Clinton, Ollie Robinson was also at both Hurstmere and Chis & Sid.  
  • Options
    The 2s were 224 all out in their 2nd innings and ended up losing the game by 148 runs
  • Options
    Awful news of the untimely death of Josh Baker, the Worcestershire spinner, at the age of just 20. RIP Josh.
  • Options
    Awful news of the untimely death of Josh Baker, the Worcestershire spinner, at the age of just 20. RIP Josh.
    Oh no :( RIP, that's awful
  • Options
    Took 3 wickets for their 2s yesterday. Awful. 

RIP
  • Options
    That's desperately sad news, RIP
  • Options
    Stewart (yet to get a wicket in any form of the game), Agar and Gilchrist are in for a whole new seam attack. Lancs won the toss and put us in.
  • Options
    It's quite interesting to see someone like Graham Lloyd, who is born, bred and played almost 500 games for one county, Lancashire, umpiring given all the the inferred bias about a VAR official supporting a team that wasn't even involved in the game itself!