Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2024

Comments

• Options
    Lancs playing both Lyon and Hartley. Good to see Hartley getting a game, but the weather hardly suggests spin will be dominant. Big game for Parkinson though, playing against his home county, I assume for the first time?
  • Options
    Lancs playing both Lyon and Hartley. Good to see Hartley getting a game, but the weather hardly suggests spin will be dominant. Big game for Parkinson though, playing against his home county, I assume for the first time?
    I heard that the only reason Lancs picked him is that they didn't want to upset him on what is his 25th birthday today. They are probably under a bit of pressure from the ECB to play him especially as they also have Wells to bowl spin too. 

• Options
    I heard that the only reason Lancs picked him is that they didn't want to upset him on what is his 25th birthday today. They are probably under a bit of pressure from the ECB to play him especially as they also have Wells to bowl spin too. 

Somerset meanwhile chose 5 seamers and have Essex 39-3
  • Options
    Genuinely feel for anyone tuning in and expecting to see bazball sort of cricket, then having to see compton  bat 
  • Options
    edited May 3

Somerset meanwhile chose 5 seamers and have Essex 39-3
    45-4 now. But then looking at the pictures it appears their lawn mower has broken down! 

Spot the difference in strip

https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/?tab=m_scorecard&video=v1_007_04#mc3dbf037-6597-4bee-b53f-e032d8819c67

https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/?tab=m_summary&video=v1_006_04#mffaecef0-cd90-42f5-9264-ebd7b7a7b7ce
  • Options
    Compton out caught behind for a painstaking 13 off 68

45-1
  • Options
    Crawley, having hit 15 off the previous over, attempts another drive to a wide one and feathers one to the keeper for 41 (47)

63-2
  • Options
    Crawley, having hit 15 off the previous over, attempts another drive to a wide one and feathers one to the keeper for 41 (47)

63-2
    That sentence sums up his career
  • Options
    DBD squared up and is caught at slip for 3 (11)

67-3 off 22
  • Options
    Here we go again 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can see why Lancs released England U19 keeper, Jack Carney who is currently playing for our 2s. In their current side, they have Heath with the gloves, Bell who is a keeper too and Bruce who can keep too. George Lavelle is keeping in their 2s and then we can add Messrs Buttler and Salt to those. That's six options!!!

As for Carney, I have to say that his opportunities rather smack of a county's way of giving someone a chance to prove themselves without giving them a chance to do so i.e. plenty of keeping but very few occasions when he's batted in the top five. I've seen this before and know of one player who played for a certain county's U18s - he opened in the first innings, made a dozen and then found himself batting at 9 in the second. To say that he was the butt of the opposition's jibes when he came into bat in the second innings was a bit of an understatement!
  • Options
    Look, I don't really know how to put this ....

But the wear & tear of my "you know whats" means that we're going to need a whip round before too long if my services are to be required this season. 

And it look like being a long one :'(
  • Options
    Leaning out bowled trying to play an expansive drive for 4 (18)

72-4 off 26 
  • Options
    edited May 3
    Leaning doesn’t in any shape of form deserve to be in this side, have said for a long time he fails to deceive.  Anyone else they’d be in the seconds, what a woeful shot 
  • Options
    Leaning doesn’t in any shape of form deserve to be in this side have said for a long time he fails ti deceive.  Anyone else they’d be in the seconds, what a woeful shot 
    There isn't anyone challenging him though. Muyeye has been in even worse form, O'Riordan hasn't done a lot and whatever promise Jaydn has he simply isn't ready for first team cricket especially in these conditions. 
  • Options
    76-4 off 28 at lunch from 45-0
  • Options
    Leaning doesn’t in any shape of form deserve to be in this side have said for a long time he fails ti deceive.  Anyone else they’d be in the seconds, what a woeful shot 
    There isn't anyone challenging him though. Muyeye has been in even worse form, O'Riordan hasn't done a lot and whatever promise Jaydn has he simply isn't ready for first team cricket especially in these conditions. 
    Muyeye drew the short straw in being asked to open and deserves a chance in his natural position.

We have a ridiculous number of bowlers now, maybe an overseas batsman might have been a good idea instead of a 4th seamer?
  • Options
    we’ve strengthen the wrong department haven’t we? I get what you’re saying there is no other options but you can’t persist with someone so horribly out of form? Muyeye hasn’t been given a go in the middle order and I would argue the case jaydn denly, that second innings against Essex warrants more of a chance than persisting with leaning ? 
  • Options
    Why do Kent sign so many seamers but not focus on strengthening the batting, which is a collapse waiting to happen every game
  • Options
    Why do Kent sign so many seamers but not focus on strengthening the batting, which is a collapse waiting to happen every game
    Both Kent and Charlton seem to regularly end up with unbalanced squads, with quantity rather than quality in a certain position (seam bowling, midfielders).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Finch trapped on the crease and out LBW for 3 (13)

83-5
  • Options
    No batting points again, barring a miracle. I suspect that Lancs won't make many runs either.
  • Options
    No batting points again, barring a miracle. I suspect that Lancs won't make many runs either.
    I suspect they will
  • Options
    edited May 3
    we’ve strengthen the wrong department haven’t we? I get what you’re saying there is no other options but you can’t persist with someone so horribly out of form? Muyeye hasn’t been given a go in the middle order and I would argue the case jaydn denly, that second innings against Essex warrants more of a chance than persisting with leaning ? 
    Muyeye in the middle order is an option but yet again this week he twice gave his wicket up to spinners when in a good position to kick on. As for Jaydn, trying to block as he did so successfully against Essex on what was a relative road, is a world away from actually having to survive let alone score runs in today's conditions. I've watched him a lot in the last year and he can be very vulnerable early on. I've just looked and over half of the time he has been out for single digit scores in the last year - England U19s, for example, his scores have been:

DNB

In my opinion, the time for Jaydn to get a run in the side will be the 50 over comp which will not be of the same standard as the CC or Blast. To throw him in too early in his career (he is only just 18) would be counter productive. 

The person who should batting higher is Evison. He is far better than a number 7 so, perhaps, the order should be Crawley, Compton, DBD, Evison, Joe Denly, Finch and then Leaning or Muyeye

• Options
    Compton out caught behind for a painstaking 13 off 68

45-1
    Joe is doing a very poor impression of Compton with 13 off 63
  • Options
    A bowler I know, was scathing about the Kent batting mindset and Compton in particular.
  • Options
    Denly gives it up by coming down the track to Lyon and succeeds in finding the man placed for that very shot. Poor cricket. Out for 18 off 77.

129-6
  • Options
    Lyon gets Denly out. I wonder if he did the same in Tests.
  • Options
    Lyon gets Denly out. I wonder if he did the same in Tests.
    Sadly Denly got himself out
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    A bowler I know, was scathing about the Kent batting mindset and Compton in particular.
    I was thinking this exact same thing regarding Compton, he’s almost got zero interest in playing any scoring/ attacking run shot.