Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2024

Comments

• Just to add to the conversation about academy/pathway players in county sides squads.

Surrey currently have 6 of the 11 from the academy. the rest made up of 1 overseas, 1 from Aus but British passport, 2 Essex and 1 Lancs.

The 6 being Burns, Sibley, Pope, Smith, Taylor, Atkinson.

The rest of the squad contains a further 17 from the academy/pathway. That's 23 total.
    Jacks, S Curran, T Curran, Roy, Jordan, Evans, Blake, Virdi, Geddes, Lawes, Patel, Ealham, Dunn, Majid, Riefer, Kimber, Barnwell.
  • If anyone is still interested, is is 529-7
  • 531-8 now. Garrett with two quick wickets. Hopefully it won't be long 'til we bat again  will still be a long time 'til we have to bat again. 
  • Just to add to the conversation about academy/pathway players in county sides squads.

Surrey currently have 6 of the 11 from the academy. the rest made up of 1 overseas, 1 from Aus but British passport, 2 Essex and 1 Lancs.

The rest of the squad contains a further 17 from the academy/pathway. That's 23 total.
    Jacks, S Curran, T Curran, Roy, Jordan, Evans, Blake, Virdi, Geddes, Lawes, Patel, Ealham, Dunn, Majid, Riefer, Kimber, Barnwell.
    Nicked from Kent. He was with us from the age of 11 to 15. 

Fair. I'll give you that but Charlton would still claim him as an academy product. I'll let you have him if you say Pope, Lookman, Konsa aren't Charlton academy products.

Still 22 then.
  • edited June 25
    Just to add to the conversation about academy/pathway players in county sides squads.

Fair. I'll give you that but Charlton would still claim him as an academy product. I'll let you have him if you say Pope, Lookman, Konsa aren't Charlton academy products.

Still 22 then.
    I've never claimed that Pope or Lookman came through our Academy but we gave them the opportunity as Kent did to Tommy Ealham. Konsa joined us at the age of 11. Tommy was always going to be the better of the two brothers and would be at the very worst now playing in our 2s and possibly in the first team given the current crisis. 
  • 549-9 declared
  • 549-9 declared
    Couldn't even get to 550, amateurs 
  • O’riordan gone already. Feel for the kid, quite clearly nowhere near good enough but still being utilised due to how desperate we are. 

This is all down to us clinging on to absolute village cricketers as back up who are nowhere near good enough and never get released. Singh, O’riordan etc need to be released and start a fresh 
  • 14-1 - O'Riordan falls for 4. Think we'll manage to bat out the day?
  • Sponsored links:

• We might as well have played a proper second spinner in Qadri, when you look at the amount of runs O'Riordan contributed. Or played Qadri instead of Singh.
  • We might as well have played a proper second spinner in Qadri, when you look at the amount of runs O'Riordan contributed. Or played Qadri instead of Singh.
    Or played an opener from the u-16’s
  • edited June 25
    /000__Jaaaaay__000 said:
    O’riordan gone already. Feel for the kid, quite clearly nowhere near good enough but still being utilised due to how desperate we are. 

This is all down to us clinging on to absolute village cricketers as back up who are nowhere near good enough and never get released. Singh, O’riordan etc need to be released and start a fresh 
    They will be near or at the very bottom of the salaries. So we will have to replace with "like for like". I'm not totally up to speed on salaries but I believe that a player on a rookie contract like Jaydn would be on a minimum of £18k and the minimum for anyone else would be about £27k. Not even what Premier League 18 year old and an established footballer would be paid in a week. Yes there is no comparison in terms of the overall revenue but both are the top tiers of their respective sports in this country. The likes of DBD, Billings, Joe Denly, Leaning, Gilchrist, Quinn and Parkinson plus our four overseas will be at or near the top level of pay.  It's not a fantastically paid job if you aren't at the top and I know of several players that chose not to pursue the professional game in the county for that very reason.  

One suspects that some of the players of the richer counties that are nowhere near their first teams are paid more than our first teamers. So how do you persuade them to come to us? Let's not forget that these are two of our seven homegrown players and it is that inability to produce a conveyor belt that has meant we can't afford to get the very best overseas or attract a better calibre of cricketer from another county. Who was the last player we signed from someone else that had the immediate impact that Cox has had at Essex or Robinson at Durham because I can't think of any. It won't be for the lack of trying but what is sure is that we wouldn't be able to get either of those for the money we were paying them!
    Or played an opener from the u-16’s
    That assumes that there is a young opener scoring tons in the 2nd XI. There isn't one and if they can't do it at that level then they won't do it at this. All that will happen is that they will totally lose all confidence in their own ability.  
  • /000__Jaaaaay__000 said:
    O’riordan gone already. Feel for the kid, quite clearly nowhere near good enough but still being utilised due to how desperate we are. 

They will be near or at the very bottom of the salaries. So we will have to replace with "like for like". I'm not totally up to speed on salaries but I believe that a player on a rookie contract like Jaydn would be on a minimum of £18k and the minimum for anyone else would be about £27k. Not even what Premier League 18 year old and an established footballer would be paid in a week. Yes there is no comparison in terms of the overall revenue but both are the top tiers of their respective sports in this country. The likes of DBD, Billings, Joe Denly, Leaning, Gilchrist, Quinn and Parkinson plus our four overseas will be at or near the top level of pay.  It's not a fantastically paid job if you aren't at the top and I know of several players that chose not to pursue the professional game in the county for that very reason.  

One suspects that some of the players of the richer counties that are nowhere near their first teams are paid more than our first teamers. So how do you persuade them to come to us? Let's not forget that these are two of our seven homegrown players and it is that inability to produce a conveyor belt that has meant we can't afford to get the very best overseas or attract a better calibre of cricketer from another county. Who was the last player we signed from someone else that had the immediate impact that Cox has had at Essex or Robinson at Durham because I can't think of any. It won't be for the lack of trying but what is sure is that we wouldn't be able to get either of those for the money we were paying them!
    Milnes ? 
  • /000__Jaaaaay__000 said:

Milnes ? 
    That's weird you mentioning him, bb.

I was saying only the other day that I hadn't heard anything about him for a long time. 
  • 59-2 at tea. Missed that DBD was out for 9. Compton currently 34* off 66.
  • edited June 25
    Milnes went to Yorkshire and suffered a bad injury at the start of the next season, so has barely played.

Podmore was a decent signing at first, though declined through injury and doesn't seem to have played for Glamorgan this season.

Evison had an immediate impact in the 50 over cup I guess.
  • I've explained 'til I'm blue in the face the reasons why we don't produce more players. Most are outside Kent's control but others, including concentrating on private school children aren't. That is tarting to change as is the situation where age group coaches used to concentrate on the same three or four 11-14 year olds to the detriment of the development of the rest of the squad. That was certainly the case up until about six or seven years ago. The rest either lose interest, don't develop or go and play another sport. 

One particular season, Seb's team found themselves in a group of minor counties due to poor performances the previous year. That season, not once but twice, we closed on 296-0 off 50 overs. The first was home to Cambridgeshire and the second away to Suffolk. So no one else got a bat and some of the players had to just field in both games. And travel with their parents to those games.

Those two opened all season and even in the situation at the Taunton Festival, when we rolled Northern Ireland for 78, they did so. Both were dropped by Kent at 18, one because he refused to learn to play any other way than for himself and learn how to hit that ball and wasn't good enough against the faster bowlers when he got older. He doesn't even play cricket now. Those two were the cricketing equivalent of the big boy at the back launching the football to the quick, big boy up top. 

As I say, things are, hopefully, starting to change especially with the new directives from the ECB that county age group competitions now start later in age. But that takes a while to bear fruit. 

• edited June 25
    So we have Milnes as an immediate success, signed 5 years ago and Evison signed 2 years ago in the 50 over competition. Any more? They aren't now and have never been talked of in the way that the two that left us that's for sure. Which is why it is so important to keep our home produced talented players. Sadly, the cupboard is pretty damn empty in that respect now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• That Compton dismissal has just about done me In for this season, can’t bare to keep up with it anymore. Just a complete waste of time from so called professional m players. If anyone fancies describing to me what happened with that Compton dismissal  then please be my guest, get the batting coach out the club. 
  • 63-3
  • It's getting more embarrassing every game they play. 
  • That Compton dismissal has just about done me In for this season, can’t bare to keep up with it anymore. Just a complete waste of time from so called professional m players. If anyone fancies describing to me what happened with that Compton dismissal  then please be my guest, get the batting coach out the club. 
    It comes from having a frazzled mind. Trying to put pressure on the opposition when it's not a shot that he ever plays. A Harry Brook might have smashed that out of the ground doing so but not Compton. As they say, play strong shots not reckless ones. That was reckless. 
  • Evison bowled

66-4
  • Can we just bury this myth that the players' lack of success is down to the batting coach. If their technique isn't good enough and/or they don't have the right temperament then no amount of coaching once that is embedded will change things. We have had loads of batting coaches over the years and yet not one of our players (and I'm happy to be corrected) average more than about 35 in the CC. And most, including Crawley, are nearer the early 30s. 
  • Muyeye out for a duck. It really doesn't get any better. 

67-5
  • I suppose the way to look at our signings is this. How many of their former counties' committee and fans would have been gutted to lose them? Not Leaning, Quinn, Qadri, Compton, Finch, Bhuiyan or Garrett. Probably not Parkinson either who was being loaned out to all and sundry before he signed for us. Possibly Gilchrist and definitely Evison. But that's it.   
  • Muyeye out for a duck. It really doesn't get any better. 

67-5
    Not going to survive the day are we? Another 25 overs to go today,
  • I imagine the CAMRA  beer tent won't be open, one way or another, tomorrow. If I had been there today, I would have drunk it dry, having to watch this performance  :#