Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2024

Comments

• wmcf123 said:
    Stewart said:
    I feel a little embarrassed for Surrey 
    Wins a win but no embarrassment there. Incredibly weak Surrey side. So many call ups and injuries we have to play Overton who is still injured as a batsman (was painful watching him try and field last night he could barely bend down let alone run or dive/slide for the ball. Took a catch right down his throat but generally if it was a couple yards from him it was 4) Burns as a keeper, Sibley as an opener, Evans injured on the night so dropped down the order, no overseas, Dunn playing his first and second first team games in more than 5 years (excluding the downgraded 50 over competition).

Only Jacks, Curran, Jordan, Lawrence and maybe Evans get in our best team in this format. 

Roy, Pope, Smith, T Curran, Abbott, Clark, Johnson, Atkinson, Worral, Topley. That's 10 missing to call ups on injuries

Even the likes of Blake, Patel, Geddes would get in ahead of Burns and Sibley if they weren't injured.

Yet despite that we still top the group. We've done well to win any matches in this second stint of the blast. It’s generally taken some individual brilliance to get us there which shows we don't have the right balance.
    Only the 7 internationals in your very weak side .  My heart bleeds 
    Not T20 internationals. Burns and sibley and Overton as a batsman only wouldn't get in the Kent side in this format nor in pretty much any other side in the competition.
    Any of those 3 get in ahead of o’riodon or finch 
  • Do players still get released from the hundred for the one day games if they aren't in the squad and their team aren't playing that day? 
    I can't find anything (it's probably not something the ECB are going to readily advertise) but it was the situation that if a player hadn't played in any of the previous 3 (I think) games then counties could apply for them to be released. We are only talking DBD and Muyeye but the chances are that one or other will become available at some point. 
    Here is the answer to the question:

Players are eligible for release back to their county side if their Hundred franchise has played at least two matches and the respective player has not been named in the starting XI for their Hundred team’s last two matches. Players also cannot play for their county on the same day as a matchday for their Hundred franchise.
  • Thanks for that info, AA.

Let's hope we get the opportunity to enjoy watching Ben's progress before he's snaffled by You Know Who .... :/
  • What exactly is wrong with Joe Denly? He's not played for over a month now.
    Knee injury apparently but I can't see that Kent have disclosed the extent of that injury. I'd hope if it were an ACL they would tell us.
    Knee injury apparently but I can't see that Kent have disclosed the extent of that injury. I'd hope if it were an ACL they would tell us.
    THINK it was one of our stream commentators on Friday that said they'd seen him training recently & felt he could be back in a couple more weeks. 
  • Thanks for that info, AA.

Let's hope we get the opportunity to enjoy watching Ben's progress before he's snaffled by You Know Who .... :/
    Ben is a very talented player, and a nice lad too. He was selected by England u19's (along with Jaydn) but I don't think he played. He opens for TW in the league and does hit the ball very hard. He also got 50 in a T20 game against Surrey u18 earlier in the season which I stood in. I am really pleased that he's made his first step up to the full Kent side, as he is definitely one for the future.
  • edited July 22
    I’m usually well informed  of the talent coming through our academy but have been losing touch recently…  
    Are Ben Dawkins and ekansh Singh the only ones highly rated within the club? What’s happened to the fast bowler named barney? Can’t say I’ve heard much else coming through though apart from maybe hearing Oliver Curtiss name a few times. 
  • edited July 22
    I’m usually well informed  of the talent coming through our academy but have been losing touch recently…  
    Are Ben Dawkins and ekansh Singh the only ones highly rated within the club? What’s happened to the fast bowler named barney? Can’t say I’ve heard much else coming through though apart from maybe hearing Oliver Curtiss name a few times. 
    Obviously Jaydn has to be added to Ekansh and Ben and Oliver. There are a few others around about their age and slightly younger but it is very difficult to make any predictions given their respective ages and in the case of both Vish Parakarima and Barney Ford it is injuries that has held back their progress.   

The other things to bear in mind is that the average age of retirement for a professional cricketer is 26. For every Darren Stevens, there will be plenty who fail to fulfil their potential (and I'm not just talking about Kent here) and leave the profession in their early 20s. It really is that hard to have a long career in the game and when one thinks that there are just 18 counties (as opposed to 92 pro football clubs) and on average only say 15 per county that are actually "homegrown", we are talking about a pool of less than 300 of that ilk ranging between 18 and 40. A rookie contract is the first starting point and I sincerely hope that the likes of Jaydn and Ekansh do go on and play for us for a long time. They have the talent to do so but there are so many other factors involved.     
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Barney Ford has been injured most of the season - he played for Kent u18 in May, but had no cricket at all in June, and has recently started again with three Dartford 2's games. He's bowled less than 30 overs this season.... Huge potential. 

Eesa Faheem is another name to keep an eye on - he's playing for Harold Wood in the Essex League, but plays for Kent u18. Decent pace, and can swing a bat well too.

I was very impressed by Josh Julian on Saturday - he plays for St Lawrence and Highland Court. He played a few games for Kent EPG last year, but nothing this year. He can bat (he opened on Saturday) and is a decent slow bowler.

Will Harby, of Holmesdale is a lovely lad and a good player.  He looks and plays a lot older than he actually is. Solid middle order bat and medium pace bowler.

Others still young and coming through often seem to be the sons of ex-players - 

Ollie Butterfill (son of Bromley captain James)
    Leo Selvey-Clinton (son of Richard)
    Harry Fulton (son of David)
    Jaydn Denley (son of Sam, nephew of Joe)

• Pedro45 said:
    I think Barney Ford has been injured most of the season - he played for Kent u18 in May, but had no cricket at all in June, and has recently started again with three Dartford 2's games. He's bowled less than 30 overs this season.... Huge potential. 

Eesa Faheem is another name to keep an eye on - he's playing for Harold Wood in the Essex League, but plays for Kent u18. Decent pace, and can swing a bat well too.

I was very impressed by Josh Julian on Saturday - he plays for St Lawrence and Highland Court. He played a few games for Kent EPG last year, but nothing this year. He can bat (he opened on Saturday) and is a decent slow bowler.

Will Harby, of Holmesdale is a lovely lad and a good player.  He looks and plays a lot older than he actually is. Solid middle order bat and medium pace bowler.

Interested to see your comments on Eesa Faheem, not a name I have come across whatsoever. Let’s hope Essex don’t poach him off us… 

On that note, my local team Sissinghurst have a youngster who bowls rather quick bowler named Henry Elliott, I believe he has been called up to one of the age groups within Kent, one to keep an eye on who could develop into something.  
  • Pedro45 said:
    I think Barney Ford has been injured most of the season - he played for Kent u18 in May, but had no cricket at all in June, and has recently started again with three Dartford 2's games. He's bowled less than 30 overs this season.... Huge potential. 

Interested to see your comments on Eesa Faheem, not a name I have come across whatsoever. Let’s hope Essex don’t poach him off us… 

On that note, my local team Sissinghurst have a youngster who bowls rather quick bowler named Henry Elliott, I believe he has been called up to one of the age groups within Kent, one to keep an eye on who could develop into something.  
    I think you'll find that we have poached him from Essex. He started playing for our U16s but prior to that he was in the Essex age group system. 

• edited July 22
    One other youngster that needs to be added is Ollie Morgan (soon to be 18) who recently scored 45 in quick time for the Kent 2s in a T20 against Essex. He is another keeper/batsman who plays for Tunbridge Wells and that gives them a bit of a headache given they have Sam Smith, Ben Dawkins and Ollie Morgan. Smith is recognised as one of the best glovemen in the Kent League but relinquished the gloves for Dawkins two weeks ago. Whether that is the same situation as at Bickley where keeping duties have been shared or whether Kent have had some influence given how highly rated Dawkins is, I don't know but most clubs are lucky to have one player in the side who can do the job let alone three. Bickley are playing TW this week so I will get an opportunity to see all three - Morgan didn't play in the first match and Smith and Dawkins made just 4 between them. I'm expecting them to do a lot better on Saturday!  
  • Start delayed but Bedfordshire have won the toss and elected to field. Kent team (one 17 year-old and two 18 year-olds in the top six):

• Beyers Swanepoel
    • Ekansh Singh
    • Jack Leaning (C) 
    • Harry Finch (WK)
    • Jaydn Denly
    • Ben Dawkins
    • Charlie Stobo
    • Grant Stewart
    • George Garrett
    • Jas Singh
    • Arafat Bhuiyan
  • 114* for Swanepoel off 86 balls. Men out are Ekansh for 30 (51) and Leaning 23 (26). Finch is on 24* (23)

199-2 off 31 (now a 47 over game)
  • Swanepoel has retired on 120 (90) to give Jaydn a bat 

231-3 off 33 (47)
  • edited July 23
    I believe that Ekansh is going to play the first couple of games in the absence of Joe Denly and Jaydn will be in the side too. One would imagine that the likes of Compton, O'Riordan and Gilchrist will return at the expense of Dawkins and two from Garrett/Jas/Bhuiyan  plus Parkinson with the side for the first game looking something like this:

Scrap the above I forgot that Evison and Parkinson have to return too. So does that might mean that O'Riordan will be left out in which case the side will look like this:
    • Ben Compton
    • Ekansh Singh
    • Jack Leaning (C) 
    • Joey Evison
    • Harry Finch (WK)
    • Beyers Swanepoel
    • Jaydn Denly
    • Charlie Stobo
    • Grant Stewart
    • Nathan Gilchrist
    • Matt Parkinson

• 317-4 off 42.3 

A quickfire 47 (33) from Jaydn with Finch still at the crease on 79* (56). The bad news for Bedfordshire is that Stewart is now at the crease. There could be even more carnage!
  • 317-4 off 42.3 

A quickfire 47 (33) from Jaydn with Finch still at the crease on 79* (56). The bad news for Bedfordshire is that Stewart is now at the crease. There could be even more carnage!
    Or not! Out for 2 (4) trying to launch one over midwicket. 327-5 off 44.2 with Dawkins now in. Finch 87* (63)
  • Sponsored links:

• Finch out for 97 (67) bowled in trying to ramp a ball 
  • 358-6 (47) innings closed. Think that will be more than enough!

Dawkins 6* (5)
    Stobo 14* (7)
  • Joe Denly is there with a rather big support for his knee and helping with the warm up
  • edited July 24
    Talk about tough going for bowlers in the 50 over comp today!!!

Worcestershire 237-0 (33.0) v Middlesex
    Leicestershire 256-2 (37.0) v Nottinghamshire
    Durham 217-2 (39.0) v Lancashire
    Essex 223-4 (38.0) v Warwickshire
    Northamptonshire 170-5 (37.0) v Derbyshire

• Talk about tough going for bowlers in the 50 over comp today!!!

Worcestershire 237-0 (33.0) v Middlesex
    Leicestershire 256-2 (37.0) v Nottinghamshire
    Durham 217-2 (39.0) v Lancashire
    Essex 223-4 (38.0) v Warwickshire
    Northamptonshire 170-5 (37.0) v Derbyshire

Kent would be 77-9
  • Derbyshire ended up the only county not to have to score at 6.50 an over at least to win:

Worcestershire 371-3 (48.0) v Middlesex
    Leicestershire 369-6 (50.0) v Nottinghamshire
    Durham 344-4 (50.0) v Lancashire
    Essex 324-7 (50.0) v Warwickshire
    Northamptonshire 235-10 (47.0) v Derbyshire

• I don't think much of the scheduling for Kent's first 2 matches.

Away at Taunton in a day/night game on Friday, then away at Blackpool on Sunday. Will the team just be driven straight from Taunton to Lancashire on Friday night?
  • I don't think much of the scheduling for Kent's first 2 matches.

Away at Taunton in a day/night game on Friday, then away at Blackpool on Sunday. Will the team just be driven straight from Taunton to Lancashire on Friday night?
    I would imagine that they will stay at a hotel in Taunton on Friday night and then drive to Lancashire on the Saturday from there. 
  • I believe that Ekansh is going to play the first couple of games in the absence of Joe Denly and Jaydn will be in the side too. One would imagine that the likes of Compton, O'Riordan and Gilchrist will return at the expense of Dawkins and two from Garrett/Jas/Bhuiyan  plus Parkinson with the side for the first game looking something like this:

Scrap the above I forgot that Evison and Parkinson have to return too. So does that might mean that O'Riordan will be left out in which case the side will look like this:
    • Ben Compton
    • Ekansh Singh
    • Jack Leaning (C) 
    • Joey Evison
    • Harry Finch (WK)
    • Beyers Swanepoel
    • Jaydn Denly
    • Charlie Stobo
    • Grant Stewart
    • Nathan Gilchrist
    • Matt Parkinson

So, we have a couple of surprises and that isn't just O'Riordan being omitted as I suspected he might be. Qadri returns to the squad and Compton has been left out. This, presumably, means that Swanepoel will open as he did so successfully against Bedfordshire. Squad below (with probable team in bold):

• Beyers Swanepoel
    • Ekansh Singh
    • Jack Leaning (C) 
    • Joey Evison
    • Harry Finch (WK)
    • Jaydn Denly
    • Charlie Stobo
    • Grant Stewart
    • Hamidullah Qadri
    • Nathan Gilchrist
    • Matt Parkinson
    • George Garrett
    • Jas Singh
    That gives us six seam and four spin options with Finch the only possible non-bowler even though he was a batter/seamer when at Sussex.