Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2024

Comments

• I believe that Ekansh is going to play the first couple of games in the absence of Joe Denly and Jaydn will be in the side too. One would imagine that the likes of Compton, O'Riordan and Gilchrist will return at the expense of Dawkins and two from Garrett/Jas/Bhuiyan  plus Parkinson with the side for the first game looking something like this:

Scrap the above I forgot that Evison and Parkinson have to return too. So does that might mean that O'Riordan will be left out in which case the side will look like this:
    • Ben Compton
    • Ekansh Singh
    • Jack Leaning (C) 
    • Joey Evison
    • Harry Finch (WK)
    • Beyers Swanepoel
    • Jaydn Denly
    • Charlie Stobo
    • Grant Stewart
    • Nathan Gilchrist
    • Matt Parkinson

So, we have a couple of surprises and that isn't just O'Riordan being omitted as I suspected he might be. Qadri returns to the squad and Compton has been left out. This, presumably, means that Swanepoel will open as he did so successfully against Bedfordshire. Squad below (with probable team in bold):

• Beyers Swanepoel
    • Ekansh Singh
    • Jack Leaning (C) 
    • Joey Evison
    • Harry Finch (WK)
    • Jaydn Denly
    • Charlie Stobo
    • Grant Stewart
    • Hamidullah Qadri
    • Nathan Gilchrist
    • Matt Parkinson
    • George Garrett
    • Jas Singh
    That gives us six seam and four spin options with Finch the only possible non-bowler even though he was a batter/seamer when at Sussex.  

Team as above but Evison opening with Swanepoel
  • Kent have won the toss and are batting
  • For those that are interested in watching this game and possibly the Test too, Somerset are providing an excellent (and free) stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMP7p7LZkXQ
  • That batting lineup looks awful. Really surprised Compton was left out, unless the Charlton/Kent injury curse struck him as well 
  • That batting lineup looks awful. Really surprised Compton was left out, unless the Charlton/Kent injury curse struck him as well 
    He and O'Riordan were left out I believe. They want to take a look at the likes of Ekansh and Jaydn and this is the perceived competition to do so especially as there are no 2nd XI games whilst The Hundred is going on. Compton will never be a T20 player whereas those two will be and as a stepping stone to that the 50 over format serves its purpose.  
  • That, I'm afraid, is Ekansh at the moment. He looks a million dollars and then makes a poor decision. We do have to remember that he was only 18 in the last week or so and once he learns from mistakes like that he will be a real asset to us I'm sure. 
  • 50 (60) for Evison. Trego has just said that Evison was a bit disgruntled not to be opening the order which is interesting. 

98-2 off 20.1
  • edited July 26
    Leaning now gone playing a reverse sweep to Leach!
  • Evison opening and Ekansh at 3 explains what is going to happen once Joe Denly is fit
  • Evison decides to follow in the footsteps of those before him in not executing a shot very well

109-4 off 24
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 26
    Finch bowled for 14 (30) trying to cut a ball on off stump

128-5 off 30.4
  • Kent sadly not getting anywhere near a competitive total
    Somerset saving a few quid when they get to turn off the floodlights a coupla hours earlier than might have been
  • Jaydn hits a full toss straight to the fielder for 18 (31)

137-6 off 32.3
  • Stobo out trying to hit the ball into the deep for 19 (28)

182-7 off 41 overs
  • Pretty poor from our young team.

But not as bad as Leicester - all out for 88 .
  • 50 for Stewart off 32 balls
  • And out 

240-8 off 46
  • Qardi out bowled for a fine 43 off 30 balls 

258-9 off 48.1
  • 267 all out off 49 overs

Probably not enough but might have been a lot worse than that but for Stewart and Qadri
  • Wicket to Swanpoel

36-1 off 5 overs
  • Sponsored links:

• Wicket to Stobo

44-2 off 9 overs
  • 101-2 off 20 overs. Somerset need 167 off 30 overs.
  • 150-2 off 28 overs. The game is, effectively, over. 
  • Wicket to Gilchrist

165-3 off 30
  • Followed by the fortunate run out of Archie Vaughan (son of Michael) out of his ground to a drive from his partner, touched onto the stumps by Stobo for a duck

165-4
  • Wicket to Stewart

205-5 off 36.2 overs 
  • And Parkinson takes one too. It's the hope that kills you!

212-6
  • I believe that Ekansh is going to play the first couple of games in the absence of Joe Denly and Jaydn will be in the side too. One would imagine that the likes of Compton, O'Riordan and Gilchrist will return at the expense of Dawkins and two from Garrett/Jas/Bhuiyan  plus Parkinson with the side for the first game looking something like this:

Scrap the above I forgot that Evison and Parkinson have to return too. So does that might mean that O'Riordan will be left out in which case the side will look like this:
    • Ben Compton
    • Ekansh Singh
    • Jack Leaning (C) 
    • Joey Evison
    • Harry Finch (WK)
    • Beyers Swanepoel
    • Jaydn Denly
    • Charlie Stobo
    • Grant Stewart
    • Nathan Gilchrist
    • Matt Parkinson

So, we have a couple of surprises and that isn't just O'Riordan being omitted as I suspected he might be. Qadri returns to the squad and Compton has been left out. This, presumably, means that Swanepoel will open as he did so successfully against Bedfordshire. Squad below (with probable team in bold):

• Beyers Swanepoel
    • Ekansh Singh
    • Jack Leaning (C) 
    • Joey Evison
    • Harry Finch (WK)
    • Jaydn Denly
    • Charlie Stobo
    • Grant Stewart
    • Hamidullah Qadri
    • Nathan Gilchrist
    • Matt Parkinson
    • George Garrett
    • Jas Singh
    That gives us six seam and four spin options with Finch the only possible non-bowler even though he was a batter/seamer when at Sussex.  

We have bowled 8 players and the only 2 outfielders not to bowl are the two 18 year olds, Jaydn and Ekansh
  • And another wicket to Swanepoel

231-7 and in marches Leach
  • Somerset win by 3 wickets with 3.3 overs to spare