Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2024

Comments

• We were there too introducing our youngest grandson to One Day cricket .

Wondered whether at 8 he would find a 100 over match (potentially) too long...

Fortunately for him, that wasn't a problem, but he arrived home with a Spitfire shirt for his upcoming holiday. 

In Sainsburys buying our sandwiches & heard someone mutter " 6 for 2"....& wondered which team was batting ( foolish Fanny!) 

15-2 as we took our seats quickly became 15-4. And it didn't get any better. 

Embarrassing performance. Little else to be said. 

I wonder how many of today's team will still be around for the start of next season...

...and how many supporters will be up for another term of abject disappointment.

Worrying times in the extreme.
  • kentred2 said:
    Was there. Abysmal. 
    Seriously think the Committee has taken its eye off the first team ball. Too much following the wider ECB agenda and all energy going into the failed Women’s XI bid and the illogical desire to be based in Beckenham. Even now the worrying CEO is talking about Kent’s women joining the elite in 2029 at Beckenham; what about a strategy for the first team?
    Apparently he said today at the forum that it’s great to see so many kids at the game. Amazing what having a game in the summer holidays at Canterbury does (I missed the other day!).
    Poor sods. I'm sure the 82 runs in 35 overs really enthused them for watching Kent again.
  • edited August 14
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/averages

Just looking at the averages in the one day cup, and no Kent batsmen feature in the top 50 players.

It sounds nice, playing the kids to give them experience in advance of next year's Blast, but I'm not sure being skittled game after game for low scores benefits them much. 
  • Bridgeboy said:
    Pity I chose today for a visit to a Kent match. The weather was nice though, and so was the beer in various Canterbury pubs. 

And Kent generously gave you lots more time than expected to visit those pubs.
    Yes. The Phoenix, The Foundry, The Thomas Becket and The Westgate Inn. 

• We were there too introducing our youngest grandson to One Day cricket .

Wondered whether at 8 he would find a 100 over match (potentially) too long...

Fortunately for him, that wasn't a problem, but he arrived home with a Spitfire shirt for his upcoming holiday. 

In Sainsburys buying our sandwiches & heard someone mutter " 6 for 2"....& wondered which team was batting ( foolish Fanny!) 

15-2 as we took our seats quickly became 15-4. And it didn't get any better. 

Embarrassing performance. Little else to be said. 

I wonder how many of today's team will still be around for the start of next season...

...and how many supporters will be up for another term of abject disappointment.

Worrying times in the extreme.
    I might be wrong but I think the ones out of contract are Downton, O'Riordan, Qadri, Klaassen and Arafat. None of those are likely to be big earners but given how few games, overall, they've played between them, there is certainly scope to get in another three or four replacements. If they were all to go then that would leave us with 18 players including Billings (white ball), Quinn & Cohen (both hopefully returning from injury), Crawley (England centrally contracted) and Agar (overseas).
  • Sandwich’s Kai Smith (19) lit up today’s Metro game he  whacked 130* from No.7 for warks to take them into the semis. 
  • Well, having not played for almost 3 weeks, DBD is somewhat lacking time in the middle. So he's playing for Blackheath in the KPL against Bickley today. Answers on a postcard as to why he couldn't have been released to play for Kent during that period.
  • DBD made 159 (132)
  • DBD made 159 (132)
    looks like he is still in decent nick then
  • DBD made 159 (132)
    looks like he is still in decent nick then
    Chanceless 
  • Sponsored links:

• If Kent could play Bickley next, I'd fancy our chances...
  • Alfie Ogbourne signs on loan for two games. This makes quite depressing reading when one sees who isn't going to be available rather than who is!

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/ogborne-joins-on-two-match-loan/
  • Astonished to see that there is no first-class cricket over the bank holiday weekend. 
  • Astonished to see that there is no first-class cricket over the bank holiday weekend. 
    All the counties are involved in 4-day games starting tomorrow so, if matches run their course, they could finish on Sunday
  • Alfie Ogbourne signs on loan for two games. This makes quite depressing reading when one sees who isn't going to be available rather than who is!

WOW - Is that THE Alfie Ogbourne ?
  • Squad of 12. Ogborne included but no overseas players available

• MrOneLung said:
    Alfie Ogbourne signs on loan for two games. This makes quite depressing reading when one sees who isn't going to be available rather than who is!

I got the wrong one. The one that is playing for us is Alfie Ogborne (no "u") and not Alfie Ogbourne. Sorry to disappoint and get your hopes up. 
  • If Kent could play Bickley next, I'd fancy our chances...
    I wouldn’t fancy our chances against Wedgewood at the moment 

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/cricket-world-flabbergasted-by-worst-team-in-history/news-story/3833b59add0c6b1452d81f58aaa01bfe?amp
  • Kent having signings coming out of every orifice! The latest is Rakeem Jordan for the Worcestershire, Warwickshire, Hampshire and Nottinghamshire and has been automatically added to tomorrow's squad:

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/akeem-jordan-joins-kents-overseas-lineup-until-20-september/

• Arafat Bhuiyan has been playing for Northants 2s in a 3-day game. Although we don't currently have a 2s game, it is unusual for a county to allow a player to play for someone else unless they are coming to the end of their contract and are not required to play for their 1st team. Given his lack of games I think that it's safe to assume that he is likely to be released at the end of the season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c1d7x057gpxo

Not such a headline absence, but I'd forgotten about Matt Quinn, who's been out all summer. Early in the season there was no indication that Quinn would be out all season, which is what it's looking like now.
  • 65-0, after 15.3 overs
  • Worcestershire won the toss and elected to field. Kent left out O'Riordan and Jas Singh from the 13 with Muyeye opening and a late middle order that starts with Stewart at 7 and Parkinson at 8. We've had a good start with no surprise that Muyeye has been the aggressor (56* off 63 including 11 boundaries) as opposed to Compton (10* off 36). First time this season Muyeye has looked comfortable opening.

73-0 (16.0) 
  • Worcestershire won the toss and elected to field. Kent left out O'Riordan and Jas Singh from the 13 with Muyeye opening and a late middle order that starts with Stewart at 7 and Parkinson at 8. We've had a good start with no surprise that Muyeye has been the aggressor (56* off 63 including 11 boundaries) as opposed to Compton (10* off 36). First time this season Muyeye has looked comfortable opening.

73-0 (16.0) 
    Knew I shouldn't have checked the score after reading this! 
  • No sooner do I open this thread than Tawanda edges to slip after an aggressive 56 off 64 that included lots of runs slashed over the cordon
    Here's hoping DBD's tune up in the KPL has him on form for Worcester's attack - nope not at all he's lasted 4 balls
    FFS this is the worst Kent season I can remember

• edited August 22
    Worcestershire won the toss and elected to field. Kent left out O'Riordan and Jas Singh from the 13 with Muyeye opening and a late middle order that starts with Stewart at 7 and Parkinson at 8. We've had a good start with no surprise that Muyeye has been the aggressor (56* off 63 including 11 boundaries) as opposed to Compton (10* off 36). First time this season Muyeye has looked comfortable opening.

73-0 (16.0) 
    Knew I shouldn't have checked the score after reading this! 
    Well I've taken some quick wickets but those have to be the quickest of all. Muyeye out for 26 (64) quickly followed by a duck by DBD. That 159 on Saturday against Bickley really didn't do him any good. 

73-2 (18.0)
  • MrOneLung said:
    Alfie Ogbourne signs on loan for two games. This makes quite depressing reading when one sees who isn't going to be available rather than who is!

I got the wrong one. The one that is playing for us is Alfie Ogborne (no "u") and not Alfie Ogbourne. Sorry to disappoint and get your hopes up. 
    So there is a decent one and an off loaded one, and we got the second one? Yay!!
  • edited August 22
    Thank goodness for the stalwarts in our squad inc Stewart & Finch who have been virtually ever present this season. 

Fighters - what we've needed with all the injuries, Hundrerd ( spit) & other absences.

If we can get the necessary points to retain our Division 1 status, it will be down to their ilk & long may they continue to ply their trade in the Garden of England.

*** Match update ***

Well done, Fanny :/

Muyeye & DBD now back in the Pavilion ! Now 73-2.

AAAARGH !
  • We've used 31 players so far this season. Virtually three teams. That is the nature of county cricket nowadays. Gone are the days when 18 players would be enough and we had continuity from one competition to the next. 
  • I saw the score and chose to say nothing, as I knew it would lead to bad news...