Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2024

Comments

• Kap10 said:
    Last Thursday, at Beckenham, Kent Walking  Cricket played Surrey walking Cricket and it was a literal walk over and  not for Kent.

Surrey dominated - the A Team won 160 vs 85 net runs though it was closer than the score suggests and the B Team also won 236 vs 32 net runs.

I currently play with Wallington in Surrey, hoping for Kent to get their act together and set up their Greenwich Walking Cricket activity.
    Was Matt Walker in charge of the Kent team?
  • It's not played on paper but, at face value, with Finch at 7 and Stobo at 8, we do at least have a proper line up for the first time in a number of games
  • edited September 10
    And so it starts. Muyeye gone - strangled down the legside although he certainly didn't think he was out and looking at the footage again, it may have come off his thigh pad!

17-1
  • DBD out

27-2
  • You have to laugh otherwise you’ll cry 
  • 27/3, Leaning out for 2 ball duck
  • And now Joe.

27-4.

This is embarrassing.
  • And now Joe.

27-4.

This is embarrassing.
    Only you and those dancing shoes can save us now!
  • So the Hants tail put on nearly 200 runs today, and we have lost four of the top batsmen for less than 30. I claim no insight into predicting Hants had more than enough for an Innings win, but this is just derogatory. I have no idea where the problem in recruitment lies but the days when Kent have produced a pathetic performance on the pitch are actually a highlight compared to the sheer gutless surrenders we are offereing every match now. They need a serious kick up the ass (the players) but the real problem has to be the people who recruited this wretched squad and thought it would be okay.
  • The bowling attack looks like an attack made of players cobbled together, but the batting should have done much better than it has this season. A failure of coaching and confidence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leaning and denly can both go too, major part of our decline 
  • Evison caught fishing

54-5
  • The batting coach changes every season with no improvement whatsoever. In fact batting points are rare in the county of Kent!
  • edited September 10
    It just gets worse and worse. The sad thing is it is not a surprise. 

I said it before we should be protesting at the next AGM.

The Garden of England. Years of neglect  has turned it into the Garbage of England. 
  • Cant recall a worse Kent team in my lifetime...Its grim every time you look up their scores/
  • edited September 10
    The bowling attack looks like an attack made of players cobbled together, but the batting should have done much better than it has this season. A failure of coaching and confidence.
    I agree about the bowling - we are not bowling sides out because our attack is so weak, some of which is down to the number that have been hit by injuries. Gone are the days when we had the likes of Henry (75), Stevens (42) and Podmore (43) picking up 160 wickets between them as they did in 2018 - our top three wicket takers have 65 to date! We can't afford a Matt Henry because the price of the his ilk has gone up so much with the influence and exposure of T20. 

The batting line up isn't very good and never has been when compared to the other sides in Div 1. Most of them, as I've said before, have inherent technical issues that have always been found out when the ball is moving about. Those issues are so ingrained that, at their stage of life, they are very difficult to eradicate by a coach. Their performances this season have very much been in keeping with their historic performances. It is the bowling, in years gone by and that ability to bowl sides out cheaply that has masked our inability to consistently score runs. Of course, losing the likes of Cox and Robinson hasn't helped either. 

Career average/season averages (number of innings this year):

Compton    37.36 / 33.81 (23)
    DBD            34.20 / 37.19 (23) 
    Crawley      32.56 / 32.20 (10)
    Muyeye       34.07 / 34.69 (13)
    Joe Denly    35.81 / 38.50 (15)
    Leaning      33.35 / 34.53 (16)
    Finch          27.68 / 25.94 (21) 
    Evison        29.92 / 32.17 (19)

• edited September 10
    LordDofB said:
    The batting coach changes every season with no improvement whatsoever. In fact batting points are rare in the county of Kent!
    See above. Poor technique, when it is so ingrained, is virtually impossible to change especially if the player has been brought up on see ball/hit ball. Take Crawley as an example. That career average of 32.56 hasn't been improved upon at any time in his career and yet he has had access to some of the best international batting coaches and facilities in the world. If the ball isn't moving he will crucify the opposition but if it's seaming to any extent then everything tends to break down. 

Batting coaches can help with subtle changes (and I'm not sure if ours is employed on a full time basis anyway) but are more useful for youngsters coming through the system. But if we do not encourage batters to put a value on their wicket (as per the second innings in this week's Test) then everything goes out of the window even for the best technicians such as Root and Brook.   
  • Gene Kelly 's coming round after breakfast in the morning after which we'll be doing our utmost to save the side from utter derision. 

"....Just singin' and dancin' in the rain "  :)
  • edited September 11
    It only took the ECB five months to make a decision but all I can say is that it's a good job he wasn't using that bat when he played for us otherwise we really would be in relegation trouble........

Essex have described the ECB as “absolutely stupid” for docking the county 12 points because one of their players had used a bat that was too wide in a first-class match at Trent Bridge. Feroze Khushi's bat was tested in the middle of his innings as well as off the field and reported by the umpires.
  • Sponsored links:

• It only took the ECB five months to make a decision but all I can say is that it's a good job he wasn't using that bat when he played for us otherwise we really would be in relegation trouble........

Essex have described the ECB as “absolutely stupid” for docking the county 12 points because one of their players had used a bat that was too wide in a first-class match at Trent Bridge. Feroze Khushi's bat was tested in the middle of his innings as well as off the field and reported by the umpires.
    Which is bizarre anyway. It's not as if players make their own bats or Khushi secretly asked the bat manufacturer for an extra wide bat saying "nobody will notice".
  • Even by our standards, 210-7 to 403 all out is quite an achievement!
    We've struggled to bowl the tail enders out for years.
  • Compton and Finch have shown some guts this morning. 110-5 when I last checked.
  • Can we make them bat again?
  • edited September 11
    132-5
    Compton 50, no
    Finch 42 no

That is the good news
    and now trail Hants by 270
  • ross1 said:
    132-5
    Compton 50, no
    Finch 42 no

That is the good news
    You cursed it! Compton out for 51
  • fenaddick said:
    ross1 said:
    132-5
    Compton 50, no
    Finch 42 no

That is the good news
    You cursed it! Compton out for 51
    Followed by Finch for 44

138-7
  • No surprise really but Matt Walker is stepping down

I still can't believe we took this guy on, thought it was a joke at first. Back to Kent :)
  • 151-8 Stobo the one that's out
  • Notts following on after being bowled out for 93 following Essex's 457. 
    Lancs 228 all out with Durham on 514-4

One of those poor teams will surely join us. My money is on Lancs, as Notts play us next giving them a great chance of a win.