Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vote here for Back to The Valley mural options

CAST has gone back to the drawing board and worked with a small group of supporters to produce three designs for a mural to celebrate the return of the club to The Valley on December 5th 1992 - thirty one years ago today.

If sufficient funds can be raised to commission the mural it will be on the side wall of the shop - on your right as you enter the car park and opposite Valley Central.

We hope that the mural will enable younger supporters and future generations to fully appreciate the extraordinary achievement of the directors and supporters in bringing the club home. The mural will be accompanied by a plaque which will explain the background and direct people to the museum for the full story.

We want as many fans as possible to express an opinion on which design they prefer and to let us know whether they would be prepared to contribute to the funding of the installation of the successful design.

https://www.castrust.org/2023/12/vote-here-on-back-to-the-valley-mural-options/

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for listening!
  • Options
    That’s better! 
  • Options
    Much better idea, option 2 for me 
  • Options
    Much better idea, option 2 for me 
    I voted for that option too. Very appropriate considering the location of the mural, just inside the gates.
  • Options
    Any chance of posting the pics on here in a larger scale? I can hardly see the bloody things and no way (I can see) of enlarging them.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Option two (gates) mural, but with the wording from option 3 (balloons).
  • Options
    Option 2 for me, also put in the comments a request for Banksy to do the artwork :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Quite a change from the initial design - well done CAST..

Voted for 1 (Sam Bartram). It shows the Valley in its heyday (40,000 on the east terrace) alongside one of our greatest names. Both are powerful elements of our history - the balloon and the gate images don't give a sense of scale or our longer history. That's relevant because there is now a bigger gap between our return in 1992 to today (31 years) than between Bartram's last game and us leaving in 1985 (29 years)...

I also think the caption at the bottom misses a lot by focusing on the number of votes in the election. The election was but one part of a long campaign (albeit a significant part). Rather I think a short quote capturing a wider mood would be more appropriate:-

"Through the actions and ingenuity of our fans, we returned to The Valley on 5th December 2023" (or words to that effect) widens the audience and is more inclusive of all of the actions that ultimately got us back.

ps Strange to launch a survey on a random Tuesday in December, but I'm sure there a rationale behind it.
  • Options

Voted for 1. It shows the Valley in its heyday (40,000 on the east terrace) alongside one of our greatest names. Both are powerful elements of our history - the balloon and the gate images don't give a sense of scale or our longer history. That's relevant because there is now a bigger gap between our return in 1992 to today (31 years) than between Bartram's last game and us leaving in 1985 (29 years)...

I also think the caption at the bottom misses a lot by focusing on the number of votes in the election. The election was but one part of a long campaign (albeit a significant part). Rather I think a short quote capturing a wider mood would be more appropriate:-

"Through the actions and ingenuity of our fans, we returned to The Valley on 5th December 2023" (or words to that effect) widens the audience and is more inclusive of all of the actions that ultimately got us back.

ps Strange to launch a survey on a random Tuesday in December, but I'm sure there a rationale behind it.
    Random Tuesday in December…?
    5th December is the day we Went Back To The Valley!
    I think you may have been whooshed there :)
  • Options

Voted for 1 (Sam Bartram). It shows the Valley in its heyday (40,000 on the east terrace) alongside one of our greatest names. Both are powerful elements of our history - the balloon and the gate images don't give a sense of scale or our longer history. That's relevant because there is now a bigger gap between our return in 1992 to today (31 years) than between Bartram's last game and us leaving in 1985 (29 years)...

Surely you voted for 2 Sam Bartram. 
    1 is Alwen & the gates opening. 
  • Options

You may be right - I tried to go back in to check but couldn't...
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I was persuaded by above points to vote for Bartram option. 
  • Options
    shame we have lost it again 
  • Options

It was the other way round when I voted
    1 Bartram
    2 Alwen
    3 Valley on the 5/12/92
  • Options

It was the other way round when I voted
    1 Bartram
    2 Alwen
    3 Valley on the 5/12/92
    I thought it a little strange all the Bartram votes & nothing to do with the actual day we are meant to be remembering.

Maybe better if people commenting say they voted for Alwen/gates, Bartram or balloons/Valley? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Balloons at The Valley is just ripe for ridicule and there is already a statue to Sam so my vote went for the gates.
  • Options
    These are much more impactful. Good stuff CAST. 
  • Options
    Gates for me.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Balloons for me. A superb photo
  • Options
    I've just noticed the old floodlight had a 'C' lit up on it, nice.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

I like that idea:

Through the direct action, passion and determination of our fans, we returned to The Valley on 5th December 1992

We can play with the words though.
  • Options
    "Through the direct action, passion and determination of our fans AND DIRECTORS, we returned to The Valley on 5th December 1992"

I would suggest

No doubt the Valley Party was hugely significant but not the whole story 

@bobmunro are you in a position to influence this?
  • Options
    Option 3, the ground & balloons for me.
    Option 1 Alwen/gates a close second.
    Option 2 Sam Bartram a non runner for me as nothing really to do with THE DAY. 
    This
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    "Through the direct action, passion and determination of our fans AND DIRECTORS, we returned to The Valley on 5th December 1992"

I would suggest

No doubt the Valley Party was hugely significant but not the whole story 

@bobmunro are you in a position to influence this?
    That feels a bit like it's diluting the simplicity of the message about fan collective action. 

And bringing a word like 'directors' into the fold shifts the tone to sound corporate.