Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vote here for Back to The Valley mural options

Comments

• Options
    Quite a change from the initial design - well done CAST..

Voted for 1 (Sam Bartram). It shows the Valley in its heyday (40,000 on the east terrace) alongside one of our greatest names. Both are powerful elements of our history - the balloon and the gate images don't give a sense of scale or our longer history. That's relevant because there is now a bigger gap between our return in 1992 to today (31 years) than between Bartram's last game and us leaving in 1985 (29 years)...

I also think the caption at the bottom misses a lot by focusing on the number of votes in the election. The election was but one part of a long campaign (albeit a significant part). Rather I think a short quote capturing a wider mood would be more appropriate:-

"Through the actions and ingenuity of our fans, we returned to The Valley on 5th December 2023" (or words to that effect) widens the audience and is more inclusive of all of the actions that ultimately got us back.

ps Strange to launch a survey on a random Tuesday in December, but I'm sure there a rationale behind it.
    Surely you voted for 2 Sam Bartram. 
    1 is Alwen & the gates opening. 
    It was the other way round when I voted
    1 Bartram
    2 Alwen
    3 Valley on the 5/12/92
    I thought it a little strange all the Bartram votes & nothing to do with the actual day we are meant to be remembering.

Maybe better if people commenting say they voted for Alwen/gates, Bartram or balloons/Valley? 
    I get your point, Steve, but Batram is the best image.
    The other two, although being more pertinent to the occasion, have little aesthetic value.
    I would change ' WE COULD' to 'BUT WE DID'.
  • Options
    Could this vote be explained on a match day ie this Saturday with the pictures on the big screen. 

1.get a wider audience awareness than CL or CAST alone or combined
    2. Motivate more to participate
    Maybe this has been planned already
    Also  any mention of a closing date?
  • Options
    Could this vote be explained on a match day ie this Saturday with the pictures on the big screen. 

1.get a wider audience awareness than CL or CAST alone or combined
    2. Motivate more to participate
    Maybe this has been planned already
    Also  any mention of a closing date?
    There should be an article in the programme on Saturday and the club should be posting a link on their website in the next few days. We are hoping to get attention to it on Charlton TV for the Barnsley game. 

No closing date set as nothing is going to happen before the New Year. We will do a last call a few days before we close down. 
  • Options
    Love the Sam one
  • Options
    Sam for me
  • Options
    I'm in age range 18 to 46 but it don't give me that option

• Options
    Sam Bartram has nothing to do with the Back To The Valley era

In black and white, the release of red and white balloons against the sky, the green pitch and the crowd is all lost

The gates for me, but a colourised depiction of the balloons would be my choice, all the murals around The Valley are already red, white and black and yet another one wouldn't stand out IMO 
  • Options
    I like the nod to the Valley Party posters, but am struggling to decide between Sam & the gates.
    Purely as a picture which is to become a mural, I think Sam is the best of the three, and it also featured on one of the posters.
    As an idea to represent returning to The Valley, the gates is better, but I'm not over-keen on the composition; possibly this could be tweaked by the artist?
    The balloons is definitely 3rd best for me - like @Valley11, I would prefer a picture of Walsh scoring.  Such an iconic moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Bartram for me. One of the superb posters produced by Richard Hunt’s agency for the ‘Back to the Valley’ campaign, so it has a special resonance for me. It also shows The Valley in its pomp.

Another great poster was the ‘traffic congestion’ one with Don Welsh and the FA Cup.
  • Options
    Sam, iconic of the club as well as the day.
  • Options
    Gates gate my vote, depicts the day, as good as the Big Sam is, he is stood proud at the main entrance of the Valley itself,therefore gates should be where/near the gates themselves…
  • Options
    Sorry. Not inspired by any of those designs I'm afraid. Do monochrome photos count as murals? 
    I tend to agree with this. The previous design was confusing and not put together particularly well, however these current ideas, which were great ads and posters, aren't murals and don't really do the importance of the day justice. Something new and original should be pursued, just an opinion and appreciate there are many and lots seem to like them. 
  • Options
    Balloons.
  • Options
    Voted Sam - all day long the best image 
  • Options
    But we're not supposed to be voting for the best image. We're supposed to be voting for the best image to commemorate the 5th December 1992.

I agree that Colin Walsh's goal would be best, but as we're not given that as an option, then the pitch, stands & balloons is next best.

Bartram already has a statue and it's not meant to be a mural for past great players. 
    Disagree - that poster for The Valley Party using Sam’s image is iconic for us - superb image and words - says everything about what CAFC means to us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Bartram wording is the best but the picture doesn't mean much to present generations.  The 'gates' wording is appalling.  The balloon picture is not really a football picture.  The person who commented about the Walsh picture with Walsh in red has the right sort of idea for the image.  The problem with having a Walsh picture with the Bartram wording is people might think Sam scored the goal.
  • Options
    Voted for Sam but it feels slightly uncomfortable voting for the “permanent” mural when the club don’t own the ground.
  • Options
    Voted for Sam but it feels slightly uncomfortable voting for the “permanent” mural when the club don’t own the ground.
    This
  • Options
    But we're not supposed to be voting for the best image. We're supposed to be voting for the best image to commemorate the 5th December 1992.

I agree that Colin Walsh's goal would be best, but as we're not given that as an option, then the pitch, stands & balloons is next best.

Bartram already has a statue and it's not meant to be a mural for past great players. 
    Disagree - that poster for The Valley Party using Sam’s image is iconic for us - superb image and words - says everything about what CAFC means to us
    It can't be that iconic as I don't remember it and I was at both clean up days, the Town Hall etc etc. 
  • Options
    Can we not do a mural comprising all three? Apologies if this has already been suggested before.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I don't think the Bartram one is very relevant, but its the best picture as the others are dull. There must be better images available somewhere.

I think they are all pretty dreary, and if thats the best we can come up with why bother. Mind you a blank wall is still better than that original mural painting.
  • Options
    Can we not do a mural comprising all three? Apologies if this has already been suggested before.
    I like that idea. 

Walsh in the middle/foreground, striking the ball, gates opening above and to the left, balloon release above and to the right.  Wording along the bottom.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Very well said Stig. 

I think the fact that there is perhaps an evenish split on the 3 options, demonstrates that none of them are actually right and maybe more than a half of the fans won't be impressed. 

I'm of the opinion that Colin Walsh's goal is the best option.