Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vote here for Back to The Valley mural options

Comments

• Options
    I voted for the gates as its an iconic image plus symbolic for us returning. Personally don't think it should be restricted just to a copy of the picture. Why not use the image but integrate other elements, like the balloons, into it. Just not in the absolute car crash form of the original design.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I've held back from commenting until now as I didn't want to come across as negative when I know that people have put a lot of effort into this. However, I don't think I would be being true to myself or the the club if I sat back and pretended that I am really happy with these options. I'm thankful to @grumpyaddick and @Hal1x for having the courage of their convictions and showing me the way on this.

Thanks to The Trust for revisiting it. Whatever I say now, I think the current offering is far better than the original, so thank you for listening. I have voted and chose the gates option, however I don't think any of them really look that inspiring.

I speak as someone who wasn't there on the day, but who watched on tv. My memories from a distance are that it was a jubilant, triumphant day (please correct me if I'm wrong). From what I saw, it was noisy and colourful; a celebration! People were happy, excited and very very proud. For me the proposed designs convey none of that. They are stark; the images are drab monochrome, the text monolithic. They speak of struggle not triumph. They look like political propaganda, which is exactly what the originals were designed as. Is that what we want outside The Valley? I don't think so, not unless we want to foster a sense of bitterness and uncertainty - frankly there's enough of that watching the team at the moment. If we are going to celebrate our return, cheery and uplifting should be the emotional emphasis, not sullen and forthright. It should be about a celebratory party, not a political party. It should be bright, colourful and optimistic. There is a place for those Valley Party images, but it's in the museum not on the street.  Now is the time for something original, not a drab rehash.

By amending the old Valley Party posters, you change the focus of the return to the political party rather than the return itself itself. As we saw from that wonderful video that Henry posted the other day, The Valley Party was just one part of a much longer and wider struggle to get the club back to The Valley. It was a very important, arguably the most important part of the struggle, but it wasn't the be all and end all. And, ultimately by the time we returned to The Valley, the party had served its purpose. By basing the mural on the Valley Party posters you are actually commemorating the wrong date. I thought the purpose was to bring the 5th December back to life, not the 3rd May.

Finally and this is a comparatively small point, but if you are going ahead with one of these options please have a re-think about the text placement. Unless the mural is starting half way up the wall, that text is not going to get read as it's on the floor. Personally I wouldn't put much writing on it, but if you do it should be at eye level or higher where it stands a chance of getting read.  
    What he said
  • Options
    I was there on the day and think @Stig has made some good points.

I also would prefer a colourful picture celebrating the day, perhaps of Walsh scoring the goal with the covered end more close up erupting as the ball hit the net.  Surely there is one photo that captured that moment.  
  • Options
    I'm with the sentiments brilliantly expressed by @Stig.
    I chose the "Gates" option as the best of an improved, but still not ideal, offering, although I didn't like the associated wording.
    I just don't think that any of the options capture the feeling of the day and the struggle to arrive at that day.
    Why not have the previously suggested Colin Walsh shot as the main mural, with 4 smaller ones in each corner, which could include the 3 suggestions with a.n.other (Town Hall??).
    I also think that the inscription needs to be more explanative.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    The inscription could be as simple as "For seven years (or the number of days) Charlton were in exile from The Valley. On December 5 1992 we returned."
    The 2nd sentence could be extended to include something like "due to the actions of the fans".
  • Options
    Colin's goal is best option 
  • Options
    Still think the gates (as per Liverpool FC example) option is by far the best with the inscription

BACK TO THE VALLEY 1992

• Options
    i said on the survey that if a mural is to be done it should be some kind of montage of all the valley party candidates, the volunteers who helped get the valley ready and the board at the time - they are the true heroes plus those who kept going to keep the club alive whilst at that shitehole in croydon, many of whom would have been at the valley clear up and the woolwich town hall thing - a montage of those people and occasions and one of the colin walsh goal as something from the day would probably do it justice for me    
  • Options
    How about a big picture of Selhurst Park to remind us of where we were exiled to beforehand?
    You'd have to add Upton too lol  ? :)  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The goal was of course special, but the moment that did it for me was seeing the players running out on to the pitch for the warmup. I started welling up when I saw Kim Grant (of all people) running out of a portacabin :) 

I genuinely don't see the Bartram image as relevant to a celebration of the 5th December, if the mural is meant to be celebrating that day, rather than the Back to the Valley campaign in general.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Stig has nailed it, absolutely no doubt in my mind.
    I can see a lot of apathy with the 3 suggested options.
    Even though I chose the "balloons" that was my least worst option.
    But who could be apathetic or annoyed with the image of Colin Walsh scoring the 1st goal?
    You could gaze at that for quite a while and still enjoy the view.
    I'd even go slightly "out of my way" to view Walsh's goal, but I wouldn't for balloons, gates (or Bartram which I still feel is irrelevant to "the day").
  • Options
    I voted for the balloons because of what they represented.

Each balloon represented a day away from the Valley so it was about the day AND the exile.

It doesn't need the Valley Party image or tag line or better still just the balloons and an explanation of what they represented.

Some times less is more so it could be stripped down even more to just a huge

2247 of whatever the number was and a note to say that was number of days spent away.

Think of the 100 years of the Valley mural at the station; no images, just words but big, bold and simple 
  • Options
    Balloons wins for me … but cannot argue with many recent posts; Colin Walsh is the one I would love to see. 
  • Options

Each balloon represented a day away from the Valley so it was about the day AND the exile.

It doesn't need the Valley Party image or tag line or better still just the balloons and an explanation of what they represented.

2247 of whatever the number was and a note to say that was number of days spent away.

Think of the 100 years of the Valley mural at the station; no images, just words but big, bold and simple 
    In the Trusts defence, its a lot easier to design a mural with a name and number than it is to do a visual representation. Everyone has different memories of RTTV, I'm not sure many of us were around when the Vallery was dug out :)
  • Options
    shine166 said:

In the Trusts defence, its a lot easier to design a mural with a name and number than it is to do a visual representation. Everyone has different memories of RTTV, I'm not sure many of us were around when the Vallery was dug out :)
    Yes, I agree much easier which is why I'm suggesting that option 
  • Options
    For me the 5th December 1992 is still up there as one of the most hair raising days of my 51 years of life, certainly as a Charlton supporter, it beats any Wembley trip or promotion. Even now all these years on thinking back it raises the hairs on my neck.

It's a tough job to come up with something that depicts that day, almost impossible as everyone will have slightly different feelings and memories about elements of it.

For me seeing that first goal was probably the iconic moment, but others will have other views.

I haven't voted yet, but would vote of the options available for either of the non Bartram one's. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Davo55 said:
    I haven't voted because, like many others, I wasn't inspired by any of the designs but felt bad about that, because the Trust have listened and come up with better alternatives. And I also know it's an absolute nightmare to come up with something that pleases everyone. But @Stig has nailed it. 
    This. I haven't voted for same reasons.
  • Options
    how about the gates being opened picture with 'Valley Floyd Road - my only desire - 5th December 1992' over the top? simple
  • Options
    shine166 said:

You can't just write charlton and a date again though.
  • Options
    or a large image of that t shirt with the map with the valley on it with show me the way to go home logo i think it was 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    or a large image of that t shirt with the map with the valley on it with show me the way to go home logo i think it was 
    this is it for me - defo - no balloons please - completely palacey that is 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

You can't just write charlton and a date again though.
    That's why I didn’t suggest that 
  • Options
    All a bit meh for me. Can’t be bothered to vote and unlikely to contribute any dosh.
    I was there that day, and believe me it wasn’t a black and white experience, it was a cultural wonder, it was awesome.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Off_it said:
    Can we not do a mural comprising all three? Apologies if this has already been suggested before.
    I like that idea. 

Walsh in the middle/foreground, striking the ball, gates opening above and to the left, balloon release above and to the right.  Wording along the bottom.
    Spot on except with the wording at the top.

What we need is to take this opportunity to show the current and future generations that we have come out of the doldrums to be a top team before and that it can be done again.

A picture solely of gates or balloons won’t cut it.

We should be voting on the images to go around the main Walshie image not the image itself.

My nominations for the peripheral images:

Woolwich town hall announcement
    The Valley clear up bonfire
    Rick selling VOTV outside Selhurst
    The already proposed gates image.
    The balloons but looking upwards from the ground to the sky

Any other nominations? THESE are what we should be voting on.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    I haven't voted because, like many others, I wasn't inspired by any of the designs but felt bad about that, because the Trust have listened and come up with better alternatives. And I also know it's an absolute nightmare to come up with something that pleases everyone. But @Stig has nailed it. 
    Please do vote because then your voice will be heard 
    In the comments section.

If necessary write something like: ’please discount my vote because I don’t like any of the options. I would only vote for ............'

I voted for the gates but in all honesty it’s a bit naff. Surely Walshie has to take centre stage here.