Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Port Vale Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 6th January 2024

Comments

• Options
    that was ball to hand and his hand/arm wasn’t in an unnatural position. Would be fuming if that were given against us. Clutching at straws in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited January 6
    that was ball to hand and his hand/arm wasn’t in an unnatural position. Would be fuming if that were given against us. Clutching at straws in my opinion.
    I think under this rule then if the handball stops a goalscoring opportunity then it's still a handball. 
  • Options
    edited January 6
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I think under this rule then if the handball stops a goalscoring opportunity then it's still a handball. 
    Then I’m assuming they should have had another penalty earlier then too when Hector handled.
  • Options
    edited January 7
    Not sure about that. The ball was only going slowly, and he let it hit his arm to prevent it going to the unmarked player. So stopped a goal scoring opportunity. That’s another way of seeing it at least. Anyway, Dobson should have done better, stuck the ball in the net, and we’d all be a bit happier. 
  • Options
    edited January 7
    Not much to add tonight, just feeling weary of the same old same old week after week.

" Round & round & round it goes...where it stops no-one knows " (The Steve Miller Band) 

Abracadabra.
    Ah, The Wheel of Fortune. 
  • Options
    HandG said:
    cabbles said:
    Late goals beyond ridiculous now. Appleton’s post match comments completely deluded. Pissed off big time. 

The thing that really grates me is that any half decent manager worth their salt, would be all over this late goals debacle.  Even more criminal is that fact we get what really shout be a late winner, having scored for a third time, and we still can’t see it out.  

I totally agree with this but, despite the disappointment of another late goal conceded, I had a great day today. The pubs we went to were good, the people we met were lovely, the atmosphere in the away end was positive and there was no toxicity after the game.  

Things are horrible at the moment but I still love Charlton and I love days like today. Hopefully, in the not too distant future, these lovely days will be accompanied by three points!
    Perfectly put mate. I'm not long home and had a similar experience to you. Friendly locals happy to chat and I even got called "duckie." I won't leave it another 27 years for my next visit. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Davo55 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I think maybe both Jones and Hector aren't good enough. To be honest they seem a similar level to TT.
    I think that's harsh on Jones. He was a bit off his game today but he's been our best defender this season by a big margin. And Thomas is way off the pace for a league one side.
    Thomas has been ok-ish generally this season, but looked awful today. Jones had his worst game for us today, and has looked more shaky than normal in recent weeks. Hector has improved and has looked more solid in our last seven games. 
    But all of the defenders would look better if our midfield wasn’t so easily outmuscled. 
    Thomas has been shocking this season. Albeit partly because he is constantly being played out of position at left back. But ‘ok-ish’ !!?? 
    Yup. Ok-ish sums it up for me. Awful today though. 
  • Options
    edited January 7

Arm stretched out to block the ball by the looks of this. 
    4-3 to the resurgent Addicks. 
  • Options
    edited January 7
    ...buT It iSn't aPpLeToNs sQuAd, He nEeDs a tRaNsFeR WiNdOw...
  • Options
    On the plus side, Apples bowed to pressure and played L Watson and for the most part, we looked a far better team. We moved the ball well and quickly, looked dangerous, and scored three.

I also think the main problem has now been clearly exposed : Game Management
    We have to be more clever in running down the clock, slowing the tempo, relieving pressure.
    Just as other teams do to us.
    But for that we need experience and leadership on the pitch, and that will be the signing (if it happens) that could change our fortunes.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Arm stretched out to block the ball by the looks of this. 
    4-3 to the resurgent Addicks. 
    In fairness to the ref, there’s a very small between players for him to see that.
  • Options
    My agony caused by yet another late goal conceded was mitigated by a bottle of VAT9 arrack which helped a lot.

@Fanny Fanackapan uses the nice phrase "common denominator" in our performances and the obvious one that stands out for me week after week is our abject defence. 

Any opposition side only needs to mount a three minute half-hearted offensive and we capitulate. Unguided lobs into our penalty area provoke complete panic. Hopeful hoofs over the top bounce three times before we lose possession and we always look highly vulnerable at every set piece and corner.

Appleton has done nothing to improve this glaring gap in our performances. If anything we look worse than under Holden.  He seems to think some tough tackling midfielders will sort it all out but that is not the solution. 

Our defensive organisation is all over the place and that must come down to coaching and preparation. In the lead up to their penalty Anderson was marking two men on the left side of our penalty area before he slid in and the ball hit his hand. Where in God's name was the left back and left sided CD? And as for their last goal, how was the attacker able to receive a pass to feet, control and get away a a measured shot all on the edge of our penalty box unless his was Lionel Messi?

Sort it out Mr. Appleton. Not good enough. 
  • Options
    edited January 7
    In his career to date, over nearly 300 games, Dobbo has never managed more than 1 goal per season. 

This season he has 3 goals from 30 games. He’s not the person you really want turning up on the end of a cross in the last minute of injury time as, shown by his stats, he has never scored many.
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Fortunate to get a point. Is Appleton completely deluded? Never know when they are beat? Dreadful again. Port Vale looked much better than us. It's a really poor league this one. Cheltenham best Pompey today. Exeter also one. Will be a scrap with Appleton managing this team. Bleak.
    Yes, you would think from his interview we had come back from behind 3 times. Perhaps he intentionally didn't want to be too critical, but came across as if he is out of ideas. 
  • Options
    edited January 7
    Same as mentioned by others - we got absolutely dominated by an average league one side. Looking at the scoreline you'd at least think we were half decent going forwards, but we weren't even that impressive in the final 3rd. 

If we lose CBT this window and suffer a couple more injuries we could be in serious trouble. Hoping JCH and a couple of other permanents can guide us to the safety of mid table.

I just don't know what the andwer is Long Term. Sack Appleton? Give him time?

Every situation seems equally depressing. What a time to support us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Late goals beyond ridiculous now. Appleton’s post match comments completely deluded. Pissed off big time. 
    This is the nub of it for me.  I didn’t expect anything today, and ultimately people could argue it’s a point and stops the rot of 3 defeats on the bounce.  However, a point to stop the rot is typically, hard earned off the back of conceding no more than say one goal.  In addition, in the context of the last 10 games or however long it’s been since we won, a point is pretty useless, particularly in this manner.

The thing that really grates me is that any half decent manager worth their salt, would be all over this late goals debacle.  Even more criminal is that fact we get what really shout be a late winner, having scored for a third time, and we still can’t see it out.  These are professionals, manager and players.  All the players on the pitch today bar Tyreece Campbell and Kanu should have the experience to see that result out, and the manager with his time in the game, definitely should.  

Then, we get yet another load of babble in his post match interview.  I understand he can’t dig them out given the lack of options we have, specifically publicly, but he can’t seriously be coming out with some of the stuff he has and be expected to be taken seriously.

I think he’s already lost the fan base partly due to the fact a lot of people including me, weren’t that up for him in the first place, plus the bad run.  But, if he had maybe come out with some halfway sensible post match views, then maybe we would give him a bit more slack.

He’s  definitely not inherited a great squad, I’ll give him that, but for me, his actions and words over the last few weeks have hastened a sort of self destruction.  

And now, my worry is that if these owners are serious about building for promotion next season, I absolutely don’t want it to be with his players or players he thinks we’ll do the job.  I think he’ll he gone by Feb, therefore we shouldn’t trust him with a say in who comes in 
    Agreed and unfortunately with the first 2 loan signings it looks like he is getting his choice of players in which doesn't bode well 
  • Options
    Was in a pub in Gravesend yesterday afternoon just as went 3-2 up. The guy on the next table kept saying it will end up 3-3 coz Charlton can't hold on in the final minutes.

Turns out he was a Charlton season ticker holder and we both knew the inevitable was coming. 
  • Options
    Take CBT out atm and we have zero goal threat 
    Add May and JCH and we have more of a goal threat