Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Port Vale Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 6th January 2024

Comments

• Options
    edited January 6
    Appleton needed to make subs, not even earlier, just make more of them full stop. Like Anderson, bless him, needed to come off but stayed on the full match.

I thought we looked bereft of ideas. Even if we broke and got into good positions, we went backwards and stopped the move, resorting to booting it up to Kanu who had a torrid time.

Whereas Port Vale, whatever we might think of them, cut through us with such ease. Hence why they had five times as many shots as us.

Just imagine we had 29 shots.

And this is how cruel football is, we still could have won it at the end with Dobbo/handball
  • Options
    edited January 6
    Mezza07 said:
    Dobson wouldn’t get in a conference team , the mans a joke 

Serious LOL merchant!!
  • Options
    jakecafc said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Appleton “very proud of the lads because they showed how tough and resilient they are. They're 'spirited', 'never say die' and 'never know when they're beat” 

Someone tell him we have 1 win in 10 please
    He's taking the piss. 
    More like on the piss, he should be breathalysed after comments like that.
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    “From a resilience point of view, they just keep coming back. It’s never say die, they don’t want to give up”

We gave up the lead 3 times btw
    Genuinely sounds more reasonable if he was role-playing as the opposition manager than our own. Perhaps he was given the wrong script to read from. 
  • Options
    As it see it this is a turning point. We didnt lose & by the Peterborough match we will have 3 or 4 new players in the matchday squad along with a returning Alfie May. 

As the Labour Party said in 1997.......

"Things,....can only get better"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 7
    Kin el
  • Options
    Had every expectation that we would lose that game 4-3 even with seconds left on the clock. This manager has the tactical nous of Blackadder’s Baldrick. When you are 3-2 up away from home with mere minutes to go, how about going 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 absolutely packing the midfield? I am absolutely lost as to how an ex-professional footballer like Andy Scott cannot see these failings as we unqualified fans can? Can only imagine he is buying time to save his own face/a*se. 

On the more positive side, was pleased to see all front three score, thought one of Ash’s reflex saves was breathtaking and was great to hear and be amongst the chanting. Learnt that the Jones song contains the words ‘broken ankles’ thought it was ‘closing angles’, which I thought was a bit too well thought out and sophisticated for a player chant. Learn something new every day…
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    “From a resilience point of view, they just keep coming back. It’s never say die, they don’t want to give up”

I think he thinks he was managing Port Vale.
  • Options
    Mezza07 said:
    Dobson wouldn’t get in a conference team , the mans a joke 
    Ffs
  • Options
    I get that MA doesn't want to call out the shortcomings of the current squad and what's been going wrong but I do wish he'd make at least a couple of nods to it as I think that would go some way to close the distance between him and some of us fans.
    I know the quality of the opposition will increase over the next month or so but I really am hopeful that with a better midfield (injured players back and new signings) and perhaps Chuks, JCH and Alfie in the mix it'll give our defence some breathing room and we'll be able to hold our own or better.
    I'm still in the give him a chance camp.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Davo55 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I think maybe both Jones and Hector aren't good enough. To be honest they seem a similar level to TT.
    I think that's harsh on Jones. He was a bit off his game today but he's been our best defender this season by a big margin. And Thomas is way off the pace for a league one side.
    Thomas has been ok-ish generally this season, but looked awful today. Jones had his worst game for us today, and has looked more shaky than normal in recent weeks. Hector has improved and has looked more solid in our last seven games. 
    But all of the defenders would look better if our midfield wasn’t so easily outmuscled. 
    Thomas has been shocking this season. Albeit partly because he is constantly being played out of position at left back. But ‘ok-ish’ !!?? 
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:

I heard that as his comment on the fact we were going for a 4th goal at the death.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Am I the only one who doesn’t really care about his post match comments? 
    The last manager was brilliant at all the PR stuff, and where did that get us. 
    I’ll want Appleton out if, by the end of the season, we are still not winning matches despite our recruiting the players he wanted. Enough of the mass hysteria already. 
    His feeble and weak voice/accent means I rarely hit the play button. 
  • Options
    After 3 consecutive defeats this feels like a victory to me, scant consolation I know but at least I’m not going to be depressed and pissed off all weekend and into next week!

If and it’s a big if, we get a few more players of quality into the building this week who are fit enough to be considered for next weeks team, then we might see some improvement. 

Yeah, I know, I’ll wake up in a minute and realise the nightmare goes on.
  • Options
    Couple of things…. 

1. This looks like handball to me and would’ve been a chance to make it 3-4
    2. Dobson’s done all the hard work getting into position but then he tries a weird flick instead of just smacking the ball at the goal? Why?

Looks like he may have ran ahead of the ball so a flick was all he could do. 
  • Options
    My live feed failed at 2-2. I was delighted to see on BBC website we went 3-2 up and decided that I was the bad luck for the team. Turns out it's them, not me! 
  • Options
    edited January 6
    Couple of things…. 

1. This looks like handball to me and would’ve been a chance to make it 3-4
    2. Dobson’s done all the hard work getting into position but then he tries a weird flick instead of just smacking the ball at the goal? Why?

Penalty isn't it if the ref sees it. Prevents our number 2 scoring or missing - a relatively open goal - at the back post. But then we'd have likely missed the penalty anyway so i supposed it's evened out.
  • Options
    I have forgotten what it is like to enjoy the weekend after a Charlton win