Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Port Vale Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 6th January 2024

Comments

• Options
    Addick_8 said:
    Appleton “very proud of the lads because they showed how tough and resilient they are. They're 'spirited', 'never say die' and 'never know when they're beat” 

Someone tell him we have 1 win in 10 please
    Did he actually say that?
  • Options
    On the plus, it was an exciting match which I suppose with the season over is something at least. 

But throwing away a lead three times, including the by now completely expected conceding of a late goal, is absolutely atrocious.

Man of the Match was AMB, they would have hammered us were it not for him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 6
    msomerton said:
    Did not follow the game in any way. Just looked at the result and the BBC stats. They are horrible were we really that bad, looking at those the midfield must have gone walk about and the defenders just not there.
    29 shots? Didn't feel like it. We were patchy, but played well at times. Louie made a difference, but we couldn't handle Ikpeazu. Midfield was pretty weak overall, as you suspected, even though Watson and Dobbo played well. In fact Dobbo could, and should, have won it at the death.
  • Options
    Wish the season would end today. Just want them all gone and a completely clean slate 
  • Options
    edited January 6
    I hate the managerial changeover business , but to be quite frank, we are LONG past those halcyon days of a stable club with stable management so quite frankly if you can’t beat them join them. 

And ultimately the defensive frailty and the almost unbelievable run of late concessions in the last month to my mind is simply a huge indicator of pitiful coaching. Our defence is not great but it’s not that bad. 

EDIT - plus I never wanted or liked Appleton anyway 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Non-football highlight of the day: Port Vale commentator comparing AMB with his mask to Rodney Trotter dressed as Robin.

Rodney would save more pens
  • Options
    edited January 6
    Scoham said:
    Non-football highlight of the day: Port Vale commentator comparing AMB with his mask to Rodney Trotter dressed as Robin.

Wow, is that supposed to be funny...not you Scoham the commentator...what a Plonker🙄
  • Options
    I would say unbelievable, but it’s far too believable.
  • Options
    edited January 6
    I would like a whole new midfield to be honest. I do like Dobson but the exciting things he's very good at don't make up for the things the players in his position are actually supposed to do. He's great at tackling, getting across to a player and trying really hard, but your defensive midfielder is supposed to shield the defence, stop teams being able to run directly through you and, most importantly for us, control the game from a deep position when needed. What we needed from our holder and captain today at 2-1 and 3-2 was some calm, the ability to slow the game down, hold the ball and stop the opposition building up a head of steam. Dobson just can't do that. He's lost if there isn't action to get into. I swear if you left him in an empty room and told him to stay put he'd slide tackle the door. Sure, it's probably not a lot of fun having only Watson and Anderson alongside you when the going gets tough but we should be looking to him to set the tone in these situations, not go haring round looking for things to kick. I honestly think he'd be more useful further up the pitch where positional discipline and calm isn't so important. I pray Bakinson and hopefully Coventry can come in and apply a bit of IQ to our midfield because right now we could save wages on just not having one at times.

I’m increasingly of the belief that he’s part of the problem for all of the reasons you outline.

Yes we need better for the backline but they’re really not THAT bad, as a unit they’re not the best in the league but they are regularly made to look non-league. That has to be in part because they’re just exposed to opportunities to be exposed far more often, if that makes sense.

I know there’d be a meltdown if we lost him but I honestly want to see a midfield that doesn’t include him (especially now with Bakinson and Fiorini on board) just to see if things improve. It can’t really get much worse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Started playing that video but I really find the bloke difficult to listen to, don’t know why it is.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Scoham said:

Rodney would save more pens

It's thanks to AMB we were still in for a draw, he had a good game and pulled off some great saves, so we can forgive him the Pen which is always a lottery for the keeper
  • Options
    geezer lives in a parallel universe where all is peaches and cream
  • Options
    Fortunate to get a point. Is Appleton completely deluded? Never know when they are beat? Dreadful again. Port Vale looked much better than us. It's a really poor league this one. Cheltenham best Pompey today. Exeter also one. Will be a scrap with Appleton managing this team. Bleak.
  • Options
    edited January 6
    Apples knows what he's doing there. He's saying this team is so shite that we should be proud of them not winning and only drawing against rubbish teams - so none of this is on him. 

That's all well and good, but when he does get players through the door, he needs to start winning fast. And in a February where practically every game is against a top side.

If he's here in March, I'll be surprised.
  • Options
    geezer lives in a parallel universe where all is peaches and cream
    Tbf, what's he supposed to say, we were good at times and shite at other times...