Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Port Vale Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 6th January 2024

Comments

• Options
    I’m lost for words. Watched the match on the stream. We need a total clear out from 1-11. Maynard Brewer made some good saves but two of those goals were down to him, IMO. Should’ve got the ball away for the second goal and should’ve dived for the third. Dobson isn’t on his game at the minute, I reckon he’s had his head turned with an offer from elsewhere. We have talented youngsters but they are a weakness in the team. Not experienced enough. We need some leaders in this team. Fed up … Good night
  • Options
    Hitting the magic 30 point mark, what a time to be alive. Just 5 more wins now to ensure our survival is this very difficult league. We're so proud. 
    More likely to be 15 draws though!
  • Options
    Our defence is without doubt the worst we’ve had in years. Three times we were ahead and three times they were found wanting in closing the game out. Of course I’m disappointed we didn’t win but I hope this focuses the mind of Scott to realise that it’s not just a striker and a midfield that needs bringing in. I’d bring in a left and right back, a centre back x 2. That’s in addition to what we’ve been hinted at.
    I normally agree with your posts, but the first goal was an unfortunate pen when the ball hit Anderson’s hand. As Curbs said, what’s he supposed to do? The second was a fairly weak header that Ash should have kept out, and the third should have been stopped by a midfielder closing down. Jones probably should have anticipated that they wouldn't, and charged it down. 
    I think both fullbacks have been disappointing since coming in. Not awful, but not physical enough for L1. Hector and Jones are imho a decent combination in the middle, but there are better out there, like Santos. I expect they’re hoping to strengthen in that area, and that would of course be good.
  • Options
    Late goals beyond ridiculous now. Appleton’s post match comments completely deluded. Pissed off big time. 
  • Options
    PWR.

I'm normally happy when we secure a point away from home and didn't even expect that today.

However, I feel frustrated that we threw away THREE leads which could have given us 3 points.

7 points off the bottom 4.

COYR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I think maybe both Jones and Hector aren't good enough. To be honest they seem a similar level to TT.
    I think that's harsh on Jones. He was a bit off his game today but he's been our best defender this season by a big margin. And Thomas is way off the pace for a league one side.
    Thomas has been ok-ish generally this season, but looked awful today. Jones had his worst game for us today, and has looked more shaky than normal in recent weeks. Hector has improved and has looked more solid in our last seven games. 
    But all of the defenders would look better if our midfield wasn’t so easily outmuscled. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't get all this jumping on AMB for a couple of mistakes, forgetting the string of good saves in between, the third was down to the lack of urgency by a number of them in the build up, and the "over to you" politeness in inviting the shot, clearly AMB was unsighted by Jones I think, and the ball was past him before he knew, totally OTT reaction I feel, without AMB it could have been a cricket score, and def a loss
    We have such a soft underbelly and a total lack of belief that we will ever win another game within the team, a rabbit in the headlights has nothing on us at the moment, going ahead three times and surrendering the lead three times is calamitous stuff...I just hope we can come up with a solution, other than just sacking Apples, because the rot goes all the way through the club...
    He made one great save, the tip over from the deflected shot, and one block from a pile driver, which was slightly more routine. I feel he could have saved the second goal, but the third he didn’t see. He certainly didn’t prevent a cricket score. 
  • Options
    They look lost remember this is against a very poor team. Don’t like Appleton he needs to go now. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I think maybe both Jones and Hector aren't good enough. To be honest they seem a similar level to TT.
    Jones & Hector have been MOTM for the last half a dozen games, according to those on here that vote. 

If they are good enough then we need a whole new back 4. Good luck with that one this month. 
  • Options
    Brown59 said:
    They look lost remember this is against a very poor team. Don’t like Appleton he needs to go now. 
    Hadn’t PV won three of their last five games? On the preview thread most were expecting us to be thrashed. 
  • Options
    geezer lives in a parallel universe where all is peaches and cream
    Tbf, what's he supposed to say, we were good at times and shite at other times...
    We just got absolutely battered by port vale and were very lucky to get a point, do you think that is ok?
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Not seen the third goal back, who was mostly at fault? 
    AMB 

Didn't even dive. Just watched the ball go past him. Funny how you see keepers dive when they know the ball is going wide but they do it all the same. He just seemed to think it was going wide.....no idea why as it wasn't on an angle and was straight at the goal. 

Madness.
  • Options
    I had sky sport news on and when port vale equalised again, my wife said surely the manager needs to be sacked now. A non Charlton, non football lover can see it, we can see it. Com'on scotty, get rid please.
  • Options
    I have had a degree of sympathy due to injuries and having to field mostly youth but that post match interview was bonkers. 

I have never seen a team with such poor mentality that we switch off so easily and concede so many late goals. I know its been said but we need some proper leaders in this team double quick.
  • Options
    If Hector put in a performance like Jones did today he would rightly get ripped to shreds, top six quality you are having a laugh. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Brown59 said:
    Hadn’t PV won three of their last five games? On the preview thread most were expecting us to be thrashed. 
    No, they haven't. 

• Options
    edited January 6
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Brown59 said:
    No, they haven't. 

I was sadly misinformed. It was three of their last eight. But we’ve only won one of our last 12, or something like that. Jeez. So we certainly were expected to lose. At Port Vale! 😩
  • Options
    I really enjoyed today’s match Very entertaining good job AMB made all them save probably should have lost 6-3 if it wasn’t for him. Best player in a poor defence again. 
    Think we need to invest in a defensive coach because they are clueless how to defend and mark players how long will Appleton play zonal marking it’s not working. 
    Think we should go in for the big lad up front for them he looked good and the defender of there’s that kept flicking on our nest post post corners that’s the most dangerous we’ve looked from corners for ages. 
    Would have been nice to have won the game but least we ain’t got to listen to all the crap that we might make the playoffs. 

• Options
    Mike Appleton, My Crapples. 
  • Options
    edited January 6
    Criticism of Dobson makes my head spin. Replace him with Bakinson and Florini? - don't make me laugh. You'll be telling me that Fraser is a better midfielder next!
  • Options
    Well well that was….. Don’t really think…… couldn’t have been different if…….. Maybe next time……  

Basically he as a manager has lost me. Iv had a few seasons on low expectations. He has taken me to the limit of NO expections, other than the same old disappointments. 
  • Options
    Missing those 2 against Peterborough will make for a grim afternoon 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    geezer lives in a parallel universe where all is peaches and cream
    Tbf, what's he supposed to say, we were good at times and shite at other times...
    We just got absolutely battered by port vale and were very lucky to get a point, do you think that is ok?

So you seriously think that is what he should have said, great...🙄