Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Office Horizon scandal

Comments

• Options
    One thing about the show that I’ve been wondering about is the role in the saga of Angela Van Den Bogerd. She’s portrayed in the drama as a significant force in the cover up, but reading other reports, she doesn’t seem to be considered a major character in the story.
    Was she significantly to blame? Is she a convenient patsy? I don’t know enough about the case to say, but I did feel like she was portrayed almost like a cartoon villain. 
  • Options
    One thing about the show that I’ve been wondering about is the role in the saga of Angela Van Den Bogerd. She’s portrayed in the drama as a significant force in the cover up, but reading other reports, she doesn’t seem to be considered a major character in the story.
    Was she significantly to blame? Is she a convenient patsy? I don’t know enough about the case to say, but I did feel like she was portrayed almost like a cartoon villain. 
    She did appear before a Commons Select Committee, along with Paula Vennells in 2015, part of that was shown in the ITV drama.
  • Options
    She did appear before a Commons Select Committee, along with Paula Vennells in 2015, part of that was shown in the ITV drama.
    Yeah I did see that, but in the drama, her character was portrayed as a sort of bullying enforcer. Some might say a character not unlike a recently departed CAFC employee who resembles a saggy ballbag. Allegedly.

I’m just interested in whether that portrayal is representative of the truth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With contracts being awarded to organisations who are fronted/ run by Tories/members of families of Tory MPs/ Tory donors, this smacks of a similar thing as the PPE and associated Covid scandals.

This has been and continues to be happening right under our very noses, with people like Michelle Mone and Dido Harding ending up with gongs and enoblement, despite shady dealings, waste of tax payers money, and enrichment of themselves and their families at tax payers expense.

I see Paula Vennells appears to have been hiding in plain sight (a la Savile) as an Anglican priest since 2006 and serving, until 2021, as a member of the Church of England Ethical Investment Advisory Group. Someone like that couldn’t possibly have been lying about innocent people, now could they?
    This a thousand times, corruption must be rooted out and stopped.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I was aware of this case as it rumbled along but only in the background.

The fact its taken a TV drama to show us all what really went on and that its only because of this show that the headlines are being grabbed and there's now a demand for people to be held to account is quite disturbing really, in its own way. 

As is the obviously misguided reliance on the IT "solution" that was installed as being completely infallible and peoples word not being believed, in the complete and total absence of any real evidence that they had done anything wrong - a classic case of "computer says no". 

I'm definitely going to resist getting a smart meter for as long as I can!

This. x 100.

Private Eye has been covering this story for years.  Every time I have read an article about it, I have been left fuming. 

Indeed, I have been driving anyone who will listen to me (!) mad for many years by going on about the huge injustice of it all.

And yet it has taken a TV programme to finally get the powers that be to do something. And now they are falling over themselves to get justice for these poor.

I understand this scandal is going to be debated in the HoC tomorrow, You watch all the MPs from all parties fall over themselves to say they knew there was an injustice and that it needs to be rectified urgently.

This is not just disturbing, it is a scandal in its own right.

Like you I have been on this story for some time and I can't even watch the drama at the moment and the excellent Toby Jones.
    I will soon. 
    I found it heartbreaking that so many people went to prison and had their lives wrecked and many died with a strain on their character.
    Ed Davey has questions to answer as he was in the coalition at the time and just accepted that the high number of postmasters were thieves; his remit was the Post office.

It should go above 1 million signatures today or tomorrow.

Snap! I've got all 4 episodes recorded and like you, can't bring myself to watch them as I know they are just going to make me so angry.
  • Options
    I think everyone should watch it, it made me very angry and the more that people realise what has been going on the better. 

We need maximum pressure from everyone, to ensure that all involved in the scandal and cover-up are properly punished.  I used to believe that this was a fair and just country, I know now that is far from being true.
  • Options
    Another thing - and sorry, this is just about the show - it’s not a huge deal or even to do with the story, but I just thought about it - did anyone else find Nadhim Zahawi playing himself a bit jarring? I just didn’t see the need for it and it felt like a crass bit of PR. Nobody else played themself, why just him?
    Trying to show he’s the good guy…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another thing - and sorry, this is just about the show - it’s not a huge deal or even to do with the story, but I just thought about it - did anyone else find Nadhim Zahawi playing himself a bit jarring? I just didn’t see the need for it and it felt like a crass bit of PR. Nobody else played themself, why just him?

I imagine the production company must have approached him and not the other way around and also his words are in the public record of the committee?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

The fact its taken a TV drama to show us all what really went on and that its only because of this show that the headlines are being grabbed and there's now a demand for people to be held to account is quite disturbing really, in its own way. 

As is the obviously misguided reliance on the IT "solution" that was installed as being completely infallible and peoples word not being believed, in the complete and total absence of any real evidence that they had done anything wrong - a classic case of "computer says no". 

This. x 100.

Private Eye has been covering this story for years.  Every time I have read an article about it, I have been left fuming. 

Indeed, I have been driving anyone who will listen to me (!) mad for many years by going on about the huge injustice of it all.

And yet it has taken a TV programme to finally get the powers that be to do something. And now they are falling over themselves to get justice for these poor.

I understand this scandal is going to be debated in the HoC tomorrow, You watch all the MPs from all parties fall over themselves to say they knew there was an injustice and that it needs to be rectified urgently.

Sunak was trying to do that whilst out today, but yet again it's all from the compensation side of it, nothing said about bringing the people responsible to justice.
    One final point. I agree about Sunak - he's just seen a bandwagon and jumped on it big time this morning.

But let's not pretend it is only the Conservative party that is at fault here.  (And don't forget, it was James Arbuthnot - a Conservative MP - who played a key role in helping the sub postmasters.) This scandal started in 1999 - fully 11 years under Labour control before the the coalition got into power. And the Lib Dem leader, Sir Ed Davey, hardly comes out of this looking good.

Simple fact is politicians across the political spectrum should be hanging their heads in shame for their failure to act or get involved.
    I agree, but the Tories have been in power for 13 years and have done very little to punish those responsible and they are still awarding contracts to Fujitsu who do have links with Tories.
    This debacle wasn't just on there watch though albeit I agree with your point. 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Off_it said:

This. x 100.

Sunak was trying to do that whilst out today, but yet again it's all from the compensation side of it, nothing said about bringing the people responsible to justice.
    One final point. I agree about Sunak - he's just seen a bandwagon and jumped on it big time this morning.

But let's not pretend it is only the Conservative party that is at fault here.  (And don't forget, it was James Arbuthnot - a Conservative MP - who played a key role in helping the sub postmasters.) This scandal started in 1999 - fully 11 years under Labour control before the the coalition got into power. And the Lib Dem leader, Sir Ed Davey, hardly comes out of this looking good.

Simple fact is politicians across the political spectrum should be hanging their heads in shame for their failure to act or get involved.
    I agree, but the Tories have been in power for 13 years and have done very little to punish those responsible and they are still awarding contracts to Fujitsu who do have links with Tories.
    The link I provided earlier showed Computer Weekly got involved in 2009, so presumably there wasn't widespread knowledge of the scandal before that date.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Off_it said:

This. x 100.

The link I provided earlier showed Computer Weekly got involved in 2009, so presumably there wasn't widespread knowledge of the scandal before that date.
    Agreed, but there was enough exposure for successive governments to be aware. 
  • Options

I imagine the production company must have approached him and not the other way around and also his words are in the public record of the committee?
    Hansard probably.