Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Office Horizon scandal

Comments

• Options
    edited January 10
    I have followed most of the Radio 4 content.
    What I don't understand is, with the number of 700+ sub-postmasters prosecuted, why no one questioned the probability of that number of postmasters being on the fiddle, against the probability of faults with a new IT system, where there are a proven track records across many industries of serious faults as these systems go online. Didn't the investigators prosecuting the sub-postmasters consider this fact, or was that just too inconvenient?
    Whilst it would be good if those responsible were prosecuted and a certain companiy banned from further contacts, this will never happen.
    Politicians will close ranks. The police won't want to upset the government incase the Chief Constable doesn't get his knighthood. Post Office managers will dissappear into other industries or the church and claim they knew nothing. Government ties to the IT company will be too strong to break ranks. Solving this is way too deep in the 'too difficult' box.
    Big inquiries are a complete waste of time, imo. Does anyone expect that the persons ultimately responsible for Grenfell, partygate and the ongoing covid enquiry, to name three, will be sanctioned, prosecuted and fined appropriately or jailed? Slapped wrists and a day on the naughty step is as much as can be expected. And then compensated for the inconvenience suffered with a highly paid consultancy role, public award, senior political position, or all three.
    No interest previously from our largely right wing mass media to undertake proper investigate journalism to establish the facts, incase it inconveniences the Tories. And this enables a hold over them. 
    And no pressure on the Post Office to settle claims in a timely manner. I'm expecting to see claimants still awaiting compensation in ten years. Once the fuss from the TV documentary has died down, obstructions will return, and the claimants will be forgotten again.
    Today, Sunak, the scum who we are unfortunate to have as our Prime Minister, jumped on the populist bandwagon in support of the sub-postmasters, in a vain attempt to gain popularity. Yesterday he didn’t give a fuck regarding their plight.
    terrific post .. nail hit on head re the unlikely situation of over 700 sub postmasters being crooks, and that ridiculous probability being overlooked or simply ignored,  indicates to me that 'British Justice' is all too often a rubber stamping exercise in favour of the government and its offshoots and quangos  ..
    For example (excuse the digression) the scandal of Andrew Malkinson, essentially fitted up by the  Manchester Old Bill only to be found not guilty after 17 years in the slammer, yes this was after a jury trial, but one tainted by essentially perjurious evidence .. tips of VERY large icebergs
  • Options
    A few points.  Fujitsu UK is the former ICL which as the main/only major UK computer company had lots of government, central and local, contracts.  I am guessing that may still be the case and if it is then I’d rather them than US software.  (Ignore my bias!).

Just because the Fujitsu staff could access the live data it didn’t mean they did.

Although I first heard about this some years ago I can’t recall who ran the Horizon help desk - was it PO or Fujitsu ?  If it was the former then I wonder how much Fujitsu knew about it.

We know many hundreds of sub postmasters experienced problems but that is out of 63000 users so mostly the system ran ok.  Obviously not good enough.

When I first heard about the reported problems my gut told me it was a system problem.  My gut now tells me it is at least 99% Post Office.  For the life of me I cannot understand how the PO continues to be allowed any say in what happens to the sub postmasters.  Prison is too good for them.
  • Options
    Seen the usual Tory bashing regarding this bit was it not a Labour government in charge at the time?
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    Seen the usual Tory bashing regarding this bit was it not a Labour government in charge at the time?
    Yes, questions to be asked of both parties.
  • Options
    Hex said:
    A few points.  Fujitsu UK is the former ICL which as the main/only major UK computer company had lots of government, central and local, contracts.  I am guessing that may still be the case and if it is then I’d rather them than US software.  (Ignore my bias!).

Just because the Fujitsu staff could access the live data it didn’t mean they did.

Although I first heard about this some years ago I can’t recall who ran the Horizon help desk - was it PO or Fujitsu ?  If it was the former then I wonder how much Fujitsu knew about it.

We know many hundreds of sub postmasters experienced problems but that is out of 63000 users so mostly the system ran ok.  Obviously not good enough.

When I first heard about the reported problems my gut told me it was a system problem.  My gut now tells me it is at least 99% Post Office.  For the life of me I cannot understand how the PO continues to be allowed any say in what happens to the sub postmasters.  Prison is too good for them.
    In the drama, the rep from the Federation of Sub Postmasters visited the Fujitsu offices, and saw for himself how Fujitsu staff were manipulating the horizon systems of the postmasters
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Signed. Almost up to 982,000 and will surely hit seven figures tomorrow. Thought Toby Jones was excellent in the title role.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Kap10 said:
    buckshee said:
    Yes, questions to be asked of both parties.
    Not just "both parties", but actually a clean sweep of all three of the main political parties. Which is pretty unique in my recollection of the past 30 years or so.

And for that reason I don't really see why anyone would seek to make this a party political issue when it seems as though these people were let down by just about everyone they tried to get to help (with a few notable exceptions).
    Yes, none of them come out of this with any glory, but we have had Conservatives in charge since 2010, so they rightly come in for the most criticism for not putting things right and allowing the Post Office to carry out their own 'investigations'.

They continue to give contracts to Fujitsu despite knowing about the failed systems provided by Fujitsu to the NHS, Magistrates' Courts, Post Office and others I believe.

• Options
    Hex said:

In the drama, the rep from the Federation of Sub Postmasters visited the Fujitsu offices, and saw for himself how Fujitsu staff were manipulating the horizon systems of the postmasters
    Yes, I saw that and also remember it from a previous programme but it wasn’t established what they were changing and why.  It is still quite puzzling.
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    The Post Office senior management kept it hidden for a long time, but since 2010 the Tories, firstly as part of the coalition and then were in sole charge, so they've had plenty of time to sort out this miscarriage of justice, however they have rewarded people like Paula Vennells, instead of making them pay for their actions. 
    All the parties knew what was going on.
    Quite a few posters on here , myself included have known for a few years about the scandal.
    Someone mention Andrew Malkinson on here earlier.
    Spent 17 years in prison wrongfully. 
    Few months ago they were saying his got to pay board and lodgings out of his compensation for the time he spent in prison.

• Options
    edited January 7
    Signed. Almost up to 982,000 and will surely hit seven figures tomorrow. Thought Toby Jones was excellent in the title role.
    990k+ now - will possibly hit the million tonight!
  • Options
    What bothers me is that Fujitsu seem to be untouchable. There are people who have held senior positions within the company,  that have strong links to the Tory party, such as Tory major donor, Simon Blagdon and Michael Keegan, the husband of Gillian Keegan, the Education Secretary.

I hope the Met Police enquiries will lead to some prosecutions, but won't hold my breath. 

The current Government will quickly settle the compensation claims as public opinion demands, then hope that the whole thing dies down and forget the real cause of the whole scandal.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    990k+ now - will possibly hit the million tonight!
    999,025 at midnight!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The petition to strip Paula Vennels of her CBE has now hit one million! And rapidly rising too.